ADVERTISEMENT

All-State Candidates: Quarterbacks

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
SCV ALL-STATE FOOTBALL CANDIDATES:
As we near the 2013 Football season, we begin putting together the selection list for the 2013 All-State Football team. I will be selecting the team that will be published in this year's ATHLON national high school football magazine. Here is a look at the quarterback candidates for this year's team.

QUARTERBACK
Top Candidates: Daniel Thompson, Boiling Springs

ANALYSIS:
This is an intriguing race between these three guys. From the first time I saw Jacob Park throw the football as a freshman, he's been our top guy in the 2014 Class. He's got a great frame at 6-4, 218, and a cannon for an arm. I like his throwing motion and his release and his added dimension is that he is a solid dual threat with his legs.

Rudolph has really come on, however, and is pushing for that top spot. Like Park, Rudolph has a great frame at 6-4, 210lbs. He's got a strong arm with a quick release. He's not the runner that Park is, but is just as mobile in the pocket in avoiding the rush. Rudolph's big upside is that he's only played quarterback for two years so he's a baby in terms of maturity at the position. (ie: he's going to get even better!)

Daniel Thompson is a class of 2015 guy but I'm telling you, this kid is the real deal. He's got the mechanical part of this position down to near perfection. He has a smooth throwing motion, a quick release, and a powerful arm. If there is any knock on him at this point it is his height (5-11.5 measured at SCV ASFC). But his skill set as a quarterback is as strong as Park or Rudolph's and only lacks the number of reps that the other two have as starters.

OTHERS IN THE MIX:
Shuler Bentley, James F. Byrnes - Bentley has the production numbers and a solid skill set. He will put up big numbers in his offense and, again, have the Rebels in contention.

Avery McCall, Dillon - McCall is a 2016 player but I believe he was the best quarterback I've ever seen as a starting freshman. He's got great feet, solid mechanics, and an amazing skill set at the position.

Others to Watch:
Helms, Dalton, Nation Ford

Olenchuk, Derek, Dutch Fork

Beck, Ben, Woodruff

Goodman, Marquane, West Florence

Hunter, Will, Lexington

Anthony, Demetrius, Christ Church

Bryant, Kelly, Abbeville

Reece, Trib, North Augusta

Clary, Jacob, Wren

Harkness, Matthew, Berkeley

McCall, Andrew, D.W. Daniel