ADVERTISEMENT

AAAAA PLAYOFF RESULTS

I am hard pressed to play the blame game.
Coaching matters a bunch. Better players usually trump at the end game. No disrespect to 2A, but it ain't 5A.
Give you one example right off top of my head about coaching. Auburn before Clint Meyers couldn't make the SEC tournament. Year one with Clint Meyers they make the NCAA regionals and play in the Oklahoma City the next 2 years. Or maybe another example the opposite way is what happened at Georgia Tech with Shelly Hoerner lowing that program to levels its never seen. Bad coaching can screw up talent especially when it comes to big games.

Not sure what you mean with the 2A 5A comment. There is no comparison between the two but I promise you when it comes to the program I was discussing there has been plenty of times where it doesn't matter.

coaching matters. anyone that says talent will take your all the way is clueless. eventually a decent coach and his team will out play a pure talented team every day of the week. Talent can only take you so far. It will come down to a coaching decision and if you do not know what you are doing then you are not going to win. great coaches push their players and get the most out of them day in and day out that will always get you further than just talent alone.

I agree with Noles0509. There are coaches that have their teams deep in playoffs every single year. That doesn't happen by accident. You can win some games on talent alone, but good coaching will get you deeper. Even before the games, coaches taking kids young and developing them as they are coming into middle school programs and JV and getting them into travel ball, and putting the extra time in for HS open work/out practicing times throughout the years, etc, develops that talent as it's coming into the pipeline. Good coaches have good programs that keep repeating year in and year out. The best coaches work the program all year, not just Jan to May. I'm glad my kids have that kind of program.

coaching matters. anyone that says talent will take your all the way is clueless. eventually a decent coach and his team will out play a pure talented team every day of the week. Talent can only take you so far. It will come down to a coaching decision and if you do not know what you are doing then you are not going to win. great coaches push their players and get the most out of them day in and day out that will always get you further than just talent alone.
Talent will take you all the way!!!

I agree that talent is needed to take you all the way. But coaching takes talent and makes it into a championship TEAM. I have watched my daughter play on her high school team for 5 years now, and we have talent. But, we are not a championship TEAM. Most of these girls have played together since they were 8 years old, learned to respect the game, and play the game the right way by their travel team coaches. Then we reached high school age and joined other talented players. But, we can not win a state championship as a high school team. These girls did win a state championship, ASA, as a travel team. I believe the talent is there, pitching, catching and offense, but we have not been able to beat teams that are equally talented.

Reactions: NA_JACKET
If that's the case and talent doesn't need coaching why did florida lose last year to uga with all the talent they had? Walton is a great coach and they were talented but lost. So talent needS coaching if not then they'd just hire the kids favorite dad or teacher just to supervise.

If talent will take you all the way then why did byrnes waste their time with hiring a great coach like ya'll said about the coach at byrnes? And if talent can take itself all the way then just hire some random person to be the coach and see how that works out for byrnes. you need talent and coaching to go the distance. jmo.

IMHO Fort Mill had most "physically talented" team in SC 5A. But when multiple kids thrown out every game at 3rd or home missing 2-3 easy runs a game, plus critical wrong bunt calls, and practice every day resembles 8th grade recess, then it's hard to win. You can't rely on 300k pitcher throw a no hitter every game and you get 2 HR each night.

Takes both, but I stand by my statement Brandi and Shea milk every drop of efficiency on a daily basis and why Clover and Byrnes in hunt every year.

Last edited:
You're right that's my whole point. You can't do it without coaching and a little bit of talent.

IMHO Fort Mill had most "physically talented" team in SC 5A. But when multiple kids thrown out every game at 3rd or home missing 2-3 easy runs a game, plus critical wrong bunt calls, and practice every day resembles 8th grade recess, then it's hard to win. You can't rely on 300k pitcher throw a no hitter every game and you get 2 HR each night.
I have seen this on several talented teams and its sad story. Not saying Fort Mill because I haven't seen their latest group (I have seen a few of them). Byrnes is always loaded with talent but there is no doubt they have a proven coach. You don't win the amount they have with sub par talent or coaching. If I have a choice I will take a good coach with decent talent vs bad coach with great talent.

Last edited:
Great players make great coaches and vice versa...Sometimes you just get beat. Great coaching or great players cant prevent the little sawed off bloop hits from great pitches being made. Or the ball that rolls 5 feet and dies on a full swing from the batter. Why this game is great IMO

In a way I do agree. But what if that great coach taught the fundamentals wrong, the girls didn't not like playing for that coach, and the great talent was average and didn't play up to their potential? Is it the coaches fault or the talents fault? What if that coach ran the talent out of the inning on certain plays? I don't believe great players make great coaches bc it's not fair that a coach gets to sit back and watch the talent play and win against lesser opponents then big games come and the talent that has not been pushed to be great loses and can't out run poor coaching. Jmo.

In a way I do agree. But what if that great coach taught the fundamentals wrong, the girls didn't not like playing for that coach, and the great talent was average and didn't play up to their potential? Is it the coaches fault or the talents fault? What if that coach ran the talent out of the inning on certain plays? I don't believe great players make great coaches bc it's not fair that a coach gets to sit back and watch the talent play and win against lesser opponents then big games come and the talent that has not been pushed to be great loses and can't out run poor coaching. Jmo.
Well said.

The tendency for people who think coaching is the end game, tend to blame coaches when losses come. Not a good player behavior.

Our experience has been different, having won a bunch, and losing a bunch too. We, in my opinion, always had good coaches.

When the whole team of players had better talent than the other teams, championships happened.

When losses happen, and you look back with history on your side, you realize your team that lost did not have enough talent.

This is a high school thread. The HS coaches have little control over who their players are.

Sure, in college, the college coach GETS the players, and the equation flips to where coaches are the primary factors.

Just not in high school, of which the premise of these posts is founded.

The factor not discussed enough for high school teams is player DRAMA. A whole other subject, but has as much to do with winning than anything in high school. And for the most part is controlled by parents, and their respective players.

Great coaches, bad coaches, sure, I get that. The vast majority of folks, whose life is spent coaching, are pretty good. And, I repeat, not as relevant in the end game as much as player talent on the high school level.

Last edited:
I agree with you. Talent can take you to the playoffs with the new realignments and weaker regions. Does that make the coach good bc they win their region year in and year out? Some of these regions couod be won without jv teams.

It is a 5A board. The bigger teams not only have good JV teams, but have developed D teams. 7th and 8th grade teams. Once you get to watch HS softball, you start to watch what the JV teams are doing.

Union and Byrnes are carrying the day of late on the JV level ... gee ... no surprise.

BS has the same structure in place, yet have yet to get the Next great young class show.

Last edited:
I saw North August's jv in lexington. Maxpreps had them 13-1 I think during the regular season and 16-3 overall counting that preseason tourney. And if not not mistaken they only have jv and varsity due to not enough middle schools having teams. Majority of their jv was 7th and 8th

It is a 5A board. The bigger teams not only have good JV teams, but have developed D teams. 7th and 8th grade teams. Once you get to watch HS softball, you start to watch what the JV teams are doing.

Union and Byrnes are carrying the day of late on the JV level ... gee ... no surprise.

BS has the same structure in place, yet have yet to get the Next great young class show.
Let me just be clear and use BS as the example. Coaching before Randy sucked and it cost them many titles. Maybe we can get ole benchedcoach on here to help me out. Hitting practice consisted of girls throwing balls to themselves and hitting to a open field. Are you kidding me thats a coach! Its one of the most pathetic things I have ever heard of! Bring your prior coach back and watch how quick you drop like a rock.

Let me be clear here my daughter was never part of a losing program at NA. I would say they overachieved to make a state title game against JL Mann with only two travel players on the roster(pitcher and catcher). That says a bunch about the head coach of NA at the time. When I bring up good vs bad its not school specific so no sour grapes with me.

I honor honor coach Sandy Martin.

Grab a most significant championship. And not be thankful!!! Shame.

So Thankfull

Last edited:
I honor honor coach Sandy Martin.

Grab a most significant championship. And not be thankful!!! Shame.

So Thankfull

Better be thankful who returned to the dugout during that time or you would have zero to be thankful for. Track the years that coach was missing. Not making the playoffs one year and the first year back (same players) they play for a upper state title. I really thought someone so close would know the real deal there. Guess not!

Be thankful the AD didn't screw that up.

I find in life, and in softball, the folks who insist on posting negative remarks have a REAL problem. It is not my problem to figure out.

intulectual folks have the ability to surround positive remarks with a few negative barbs. The softball folks are extremely intelligent. They reach the highest level of economic value.

Continue on with your negative stuff. Not me, and benefit for it.

Be thankful!!!

I find in life, and in softball, the folks who insist on posting negative remarks have a REAL problem. It is not my problem to figure out.

intulectual folks have the ability to surround positive remarks with a few negative barbs. The softball folks are extremely intelligent. They reach the highest level of economic value.

Continue on with your negative stuff. Not me, and benefit for it.

Be thankful!!!
Some people have plenty to be thankful for including myself. Most of us don't have our heads buried in the sand though. If I agree some AD's dont give a rip about softball I do not think that is a REAL problem. I see SMC has made its second hire in 2 years. Any thoughts?

SMC has brought more joy to our life than anything. Another championship. Though not quite as big. But really, bigger than all the rest. Cannot say enough good things. Has been an academic springboard, and possibly an athletic next opportunity for many a player.

Got a new coach. Know the inside. A tremendous opportunity for a Jr. College program that is near and dear to my heart. Listen to the locals. Scout, and bring in outside looked over players nationally. SMC is a real jewel for Spartanburg county, and has been, and will return on the national stage!

South Carolina has probably the best amount of quality players, per capita, in the nation. At the same time SC has probably the most colleges (i.e. Softball teams) per capita, also. The players get picked pretty clean, and is the most significant challenge.

Being said, the core here is terrific. A wide net to parts of the US country, not as colllege softball intense, is a hard path.

Last edited:
I think the new coach hired has not coached a day in her life. She played at Limestone I believe. Not sure of her name but it is going to be interesting how they hire someone with no coaching experience much less head coaching experience. I guess that returning to the national stage is going to have to wait for the next head coach.

When you travel through all of a softball player's life, little league, travel, certain fields, high school, college, and on and on. You realize all of these organizations are institutions. They represent not just one party, but many multitudes of people, and in fact your whole community. To speak unkindly of the people who, in essence, raised your player, albeit on a softball field, but really in all aspects of life, is unthinkable.

So now we have an attack on a college institution who has a proven, longstanding, history, of Jr. College softball success. Over decades, supported by the whole County and SC State.

Yet with one stroke of the mighty negative pen, one poster determines to undermine all of this greatness. I will let the readers decide.

I speak from personal experience, as do many in the past traveling a similar path. SMC is a terrific institution, growing great young ladies through softball. It will be back again, just a mild bump in the road, but needs the local community, local travel groups, and statewide high school groups to get on board, and present your young players to this great college. A bunch of upside.

Last edited:
Yet with one stroke of the mighty negative pen, one poster determines to undermine all of this greatness. I will let the readers decide.
What did that one poster say that wasn't true about never coaching before in any capacity? To add it only took one year for last years first year coach to bring a top program to a 19-23 record. You follow that up with this hire and you say basically trust the AD. You know yourself without question if it were the SMC Baseball program this type hire would never be made. Having said all that I hope she has huge success. I have watched her play many times and she has seen lots of winning as a player in college, high school and travel ball. Her dad is a coach and I imagine she has a different perspective than most. Another plus is I could see SC players getting plenty of looks from her. She should know the travel landscape pretty well in state.

A lot of positive, you say, about upcoming SMC Coach. Thank you.

Last edited:
I think the new coach hired has not coached a day in her life. She played at Limestone I believe. Not sure of her name but it is going to be interesting how they hire someone with no coaching experience much less head coaching experience. I guess that returning to the national stage is going to have to wait for the next head coach.
She coached at Thomas Heyward under her dad. Very good private school. Saw them play once and was impressed with the pitching/catching and that was her area. Soild team. Hopefully it translate at SMC

Private school around the area is not that good. How do you give a good program to someone with no head coaching experience? When I said no coaching experience I meant at the college level not in general. My only problem with hiring a coach that's never coached at the college level is she's never been around the game at that level so it's like she's being setup to fail.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT