ADVERTISEMENT

Combine cadet and junior for larger brackets

BuckkillerSC

Bench Warmer
Jan 29, 2015
What can we do to combine cadet and junior classes during low attendance tournaments? Most of these wrestlers are high school students anyway so why not combine them for better brackets. It's better than going to a tournament and only wrestling one other wrestler for the day. Idea's? Suggestion's? Solution's?

I noticed while thumbing thru results that there doesn't seem to be any double bracketing? So Cadet to Junior, Novice to Schoolboy or bumping up in weight classes.

I'd imagine there is some rule in place against that now.

I noticed while thumbing thru results that there doesn't seem to be any double bracketing? So Cadet to Junior, Novice to Schoolboy or bumping up in weight classes.

I'd imagine there is some rule in place against that now.

Last year Bailey wasn't allowed to wrestle the Junior Duals because he was a rising Freshman but Coach Delgado told me that cadets already in high school could wrestle Junior. They could have put something in place for this year. Not sure.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
Agreed would be good to see larger brackets. That said, double bracketing in whatever manner is fairly common. Not sure if any measures have been put in place to negate that recently. No real clue.

I noticed a couple of years ago that more kids did double bracket and that declined as the numbers declined. If the brackets were combined then more wrestlers would wrestle and more would double bracket. It's up to the parents more than anyone. If the parents would enter their wrestlers into the junior division then the brackets would grow. I know all parents want their kids to win but they will not get better if they don't get matches. Maybe the club leaders, coaches and parents that are involved should speak with other parents to try and change this. It's worth a try. Thoughts? Comments? Concerns? Solutions? Together?

My son did double brackets a few times last year. I'm all for combing cadet & junior at the smaller tournaments. The purpose is to get quality mat time. When it is 3 kids in a round robin, that tough to justify the drive sometimes.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
My son did double brackets a few times last year. I'm all for combing cadet & junior at the smaller tournaments. The purpose is to get quality mat time. When it is 3 kids in a round robin, that tough to justify the drive sometimes.
Or 2 kids at an Ironman - they wrestled each other 6x in one day

Or 2 kids at an Ironman - they wrestled each other 6x in one day

I personally wish they would combine the two classes to make better brackets. It gives the wrestlers better matches and more matches especially in low number tournaments. Isn't that what we all want for the wrestlers, mat time? It's not any fun for 2 wrestlers to wrestle each other over and over.
By having two tournaments in the upstate at the same time, SCUSA can take the blame for that nonsense. That was a bad decision for the upstate and the wrestlers, unless you were from NC.

Reactions: countykid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT