ADVERTISEMENT

Hartsville @ Union County

BS100

Two Year Starter
Feb 26, 2013
Union County 4 ... Hartsville 3

Sophomore pitcher Payton Martin, for the Union County Lady Yellow Jackets, stands mono a mono, soph. vs soph., in the circle featuring two of the best young pitchers in our wonderful state of SC, and delivers.

With a bunch of help. Lady Jacket Dexley Inman triples in the 1st and scores. Henderson rips and advances Hughs who scores when Henderson steals 2nd base and the throw gets away. 9th grader Ashley Vinson goes deep in a big way, as she home runs in the 3rd inning to score the 3rd run.

Hartsville battles back in the top of the 4th. Bunt single, some sloppy defense, and runners at 1st and 3rd base. Sacrifice bunt scores Hartsville's 1st run. A clean base hit scores another to make a game of it at 3-2. Hartsville keeps the pressure on in the top of the 5th inning to score 1 more and tie the game 3-3.

Chelise 'CC' Moorman delivers for the lady Yellow Jackets in the bottom of the 5th. Hits a ground rule double, bouncing over the shortened Timken Park fence. Steals 3rd on a passed ball. 8th grader Katelyn Petty digs in and gets the game winning RBI with a clean single to score CC.

The game finishes with nail biting and knuckles, as two great pitchers dig in, and shut the last two innings down. Payton Martin gets the last out with a soft infield catch in the circle and is the Queen Bee of the night, in a hive full of swarming queen bees. What a Classic softball game.

This post was edited on 5/26 4:49 AM by BS100

Congratulations to Union on their game 1 win. I will have to agree
however with the coach from Seneca's comments about the the
strike zone at Timken park. And just so you know if the count is
3 balls and 2 strikes if there is a foul tip that is caught that is
a strike out. Look forward to game 2 in Hartsville!

Allow me to comment on the strike zone, or as some may say the Timken strike. Having watched multiple State Championship series, and playoffs, the strike zone gets tighter, and usually stays lower. It is not the Timken strike zone, it is the playoff strike zone. And to go one further, it is exactly where the strike zone should be. Many times folks want to complain vigorously about the SCHSL changing the rules for playoffs. This simply is not true. The SCHSL puts on one of the greatest show in this state. This is why we argue. If anything, they widen the rules slightly during the regular season just to move the game along. Come playoffs ... call it where it should be. It is no umpire, or sanctioning body trying to get the glory. Just a great organization, and umpiring crews doing their best to play the game RIGHT, when it really matters.

This playoff series with Union County and Hartsville is the most exciting in the state this year. This old man will probably drive all the way to Darlington County saturday (I guess?) to watch. I have no dog in the fight, and am trying to give the viewers the most objective opinion possible. The winners get the names in print. The losers do not. Don't blame me.

Having watched both pitchers Payton Martin and Cayla Drotar for over a half decade, they both are different pitchers. Drotar is a fire-baller who throws up to 65 mph. Her ball has a tendency to rise. Terrific pitcher who did not get the "Timken call" for much above the waist. Though I admit, a few of her great change ups were spot on, and for some reason did not get the called strike. Payton Martin is a classic low ball pitcher. Plenty of speed, plenty of movement. But always low. Got the calls, deserved the calls. Payton Martin out-pitched Cayla Drotar in this game.

The wildcard of this whole event, and the hidden secret is the head coach for Union County is a self professed (though he will deny now) baseballer. His daughter played baseball late. He thoroughly understands the mechanisms, and preparation for hitting SPEED. what Drotar has. I have never witnessed a team like Union County, top to bottom, mostly with a bunch of youngsters, handle 65 mph like it was 55 mph. That is the baseball influence, That is the coach.

Before I am done I will force my way into a discussion with this coach. Ask him the hard questions. Get his secret (probably not). But will try. Just calling it i see it.

Best series in SC right now.

This post was edited on 5/26 4:48 AM by BS100

What ever you do, don't let the batter run to first on a dropped third strike,while the base is occupied. We don't want to have another player ejected for being 'unsportsmanlike'. Good luck to both teams!

Very good post BS100 but inaccurate! 1st of all the Kids name is Cayla. The strike zone was certainly
not tighter. Hartsville did not argue high or low they just wanted the strike zone to be consistant, well lets just
say they didn't get that.
You are right this is the most exciting series going so let the kids decide what happens between the lines.
These are 2 talented pitches and if you watched this game you saw a kid from Union get all the calls and
a kid from Hartsville throw in the same zone and didn't, (So not comparing Apples to Apples) Hartsville still had a shot to win.
I hope that when Union comes to Hartsville that the Umpires are just consistant. Two good teams, both
have the same goal. To win State! Go Foxes!

Don't know what game you were at but the strike zone was very consistent . Pitches in either batters box are not strikes. From my view at the top of the hill behind the plate people were complaining on pitches that were clearly inside or outside. Every pitch can look good when you are looking at it from the side.

You are correct they are not strikes when there in the batters box thats my point exactly!

HHSLF ... thank you for correcting my spelling for Cayla. I changed it in my post. Hope it suits your liking. Let me know if it does not.

We can all agree that we are active supporters of these fine young ladies and the schools they represent. As fans, we can pick apart each official's calls as they relate to what we deem "against" our teams. Hartsville argues that their pitcher was treated unfairly in that she didn't get the same calls as the Union pitcher. Union could well argue other inconsistencies (but chose not to). When our respective team loses, we always want to blame someone else for being responsible. I've been guilty of this myself! But to lay the blame clearly on the suspect officiating is way off base. I cannot make myself believe that the SCHSL officials favor one team over the other or one pitcher over the other. I would hope the officials chosen to call these games are not from either area of the schools playing to avoid this accusation of favoritism.

In the end, we can only ask that God's will (even in this matter of a ball-game) is shown and that we have exemplified Him in our behavior to each other. Let's play ball!

I cannot make myself believe that the SCHSL officials favor one team over the other or one pitcher over the other.
Spot on! I don't like what I see in some umpires but for sure the league won't favor one school over the other. It may feel that way at times.

Just curious to the Hartsville fan( not fans because the ones I met were pleasant and complimentary) was the " Timken" strike zone in affect last night as well? What I saw was 2 great teams going head to head in a great series. I got a great feeling these 2 great teams will see each other again with Union County only have 1 senior and Hartsville having 3. So good luck to both teams in the off season and see you all again next year

I thought the game was well officiated. Union county is a very good
softball team they did everything right and played well. Hartsville on
the other hand did not. Congratulations Yellow Jackets!

What Inman kid are you referring to? I searched the Merriam-Webster plus the Slang dictionary for a clear definition of the word "stud". You might have meant your post for the baseball forums.

Originally posted by Taxguru2:

What Inman kid are you referring to? I searched the Merriam-Webster plus the Slang dictionary for a clear definition of the word "stud". You might have meant your post for the baseball forums.
Wrong! Stud, beast and other terms cross over. Just like baseball they may not seem to make since to everyone. Its not a guy thing because softball girls use the words. This just one from twitter J_____A_____ @____ "Like she is such a stud!"
That quote is from a softball player not a guy.

Sorry, NA Jacket- Guess at 66, I'm from the old school. I agree that girls can be "stud players". And Dexlie is definitely a "stud" athlete! We saw so many "studs" during this season's softball action, it would be nearly impossible to name them all. (I'm trying hard to use the word enough, to get used to the slang). Old dogs must learn new tricks. The verbage is why I don't tweet.

Pretty old school in many ways. Coaches, players and fans all use many of the same words you would hear in baseball. It isn't a twitter thing. Twitter was just where the most recent example was. Also freak would be a way some players are mentioned. I am not much for tweeting but there is plenty neat stuff even from old school!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT