ADVERTISEMENT

@JB or anyone around from 2004

dav8800

Varsity All American
Aug 14, 2004
hey guys, I was thinking back to 2004 when Stratford played Mauldin - I was trying to remember what happened in the championship series. I know Stratford came to Mauldin and won, Mauldin won at Stratford, and then Mauldin won at white knoll - was this the year that a ball the championship was won on an errant throw? Long story short, I'm chartering Matt Wieters and the Baltimore Orioles to Tampa tonight and made me think back to watching both him and smoak in Mauldin for the state title series.

Runners on 1st and 2nd, base hit to RF. RF threw home not in time and catcher threw to second base as the hitter was advancing on the throw. Throw from the catcher went into the outfield and the runner that started at 1B scored to win the game

Wieters was not on the 2005 team at Stratford that won the state championship on the play mentioned above. He was on the 2004 team that got beat in 2 games by Mauldin.

Just to add a little to the play above. On the base hit to RF the 2nd basemen jumped up and ball barely tipped off his glove and then on the throw back to 2nd base to try and get the runner the ball tipped off his glove again and went into CF. Smoak scored the winning run as he was intentionally walked with 2 outs to put runners on 1st & 2nd.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT