ADVERTISEMENT

Job Board

Different principal and AD from the time he was at Easley. My sources say the front runner is someone from the Daniel staff.

Richland 2 has taken down the posting for RV. Looks like interviews may be starting...
Heard budget is an issue with the Pickens and Easley hires, area/in-district guys have inside track because of it.

Great a DANIEL coach- they can win BUT they can definitely CHOKE!

flush.r191677.gif

Well it appears Floyd got let go at Brunswick, GA by a school board and administration that heavily favors the other school in that school district. Brunswick people are very upset. So, Floyd to Chester?

Originally posted by BallCoach17:

Well it appears Floyd got let go at Brunswick, GA by a school board and administration that heavily favors the other school in that school district. Brunswick people are very upset. So, Floyd to Chester?
There are better jobs available & will come available than Chester....unless he just wants to return there.

Heard all week during the Shrine Bowl that Hal Capps (NC's head coach ) was wanting to come South Carolina.

Someone tell Capps that WH is open. Doubt there are many successful coaches lining up for that gig.

South Aiken: 2 1A HC's, Georgia HC, 4A HC, 4A OC, Assistant on staff are names going around.

In Greenville. Of course my post about many successful coaches lining up for that job was tongue in cheek. Program in the tank. In Region 2, 4A. From an athletic standpoint should be a 3A school. Basketball coach as AD. Not a very attractive situation.

Never have, but WH is just not in a good position to succeed currently. Under the circumstances, don't think it is necessarily a reflection upon their former coach.

Seems like South Aiken would be a good gig! They are pretty good in alot of the club sports and probably one of the top 20 or so schools in the state in regard of its clientele ($).

Originally posted by I20HWY:
Seems like South Aiken would be a good gig! They are pretty good in alot of the club sports and probably one of the top 20 or so schools in the state in regard of its clientele ($).
Honestly, this hire will either be a HC in a lower classification looking to get to a higher level or an Assistant/Coordinator looking for their first gig. Aiken County isn't dishing out the pay that the Lexingtons, Spartanburgs, Yorks, Andersons, etc. of the state are putting out. Your pay is based solely on where you fall on the teacher salary scale and coaching supplement scale. That's it. Nobody in Aiken is raking in 90k to coach football all day. If you're not the AD (which applies to this job), then you will teach MINIMUM 4 periods out of a 7 period day. Aiken is a nice town, it's a great place to live and raise a family and that's important, but pay is also a factor.

But hey, if you got 20 years experience and have Post-Masters work, then you might be making a little chunk of change!
This post was edited on 1/5 3:53 PM by BallCoach17

Regarding the post on South Aiken, I think everything said is perfectly reasonable. 90+K is a huge paycheck for a football coach. Now I do believe that it is money well-earned for a program that is big enough (the demands at a school with a program that large are vast and demand that paycheck) or for a coach that is proven enough (you pay for the proven and expected value, and a coach earns that).

With that said, and with all respect due to South Aiken and the Aiken community, they have not reached that powerhouse level, they are not that vast a program, and they don't have a program that can or should drag out a 20+ year, repeat championship coach. With any sense, they will go get exactly what has been suggested (young, motivated assistant or proven coach from the lower ranks). Pay him what he is worth, and if you re-evaluate the program in a few years and he has risen South Aiken to the range of upper-echelon programs, then think about raising the paycheck bar.

Until then, four periods of teaching, no A.D. position, and an average to slight-above-average paycheck should be expected. Let him go out and earn bigger and better, after he makes South Aiken bigger and better.

I think the highest paid football coach in Aiken is either Knight at Midland Valley or Lown at Silver Bluff. Both are around 70k. But they have also been teaching and coaching for nearly 30 years.

Originally posted by Rod Dangerfield:

Originally posted by red raider alum:
OK- I can narrow it- a GOOD Richland 1 school........
Keenan or Flora, huh?
I was told that McCollum won't be back at Keenan (his choice). Have not talked to him to verify, though.

Originally posted by JB@Rivals:

Keenan or Flora, huh?
I was told that McCollum won't be back at Keenan (his choice). Have not talked to him to verify, though.
Is that b/c of the trouble he got in around mid-season?

I don't know the whole story with Keenan, but for whatever me two cents are worth:

There's a coach at Keenan named Sean Gilley. I believe he calls the offense. Regardless, he's a great guy, a good teacher, and a positive role model for those kids. I normally don't agree with hiring from within, but that's because typically, if they're replacing a head coach, they're doing so because the team is a mess already. That's just not the case here. It would make my day to see Sean Gilley get a shot at that job. If and when that job opens, I hope he puts in for it. He would be perfect.

Originally posted by JB@Rivals:

Keenan or Flora, huh?
Is that b/c of the trouble he got in around mid-season?
What I heard were "certification issues" and that he wasn't happy with administrative support or lack there of.

Is South Aiken an upgrade compared to Midland Valley or Strom Thurmond just because it's a AAAA school? I don't think so, but maybe Coach Knight's philosophy could revive that program.

Appears that Eastside has made their choice. Should be announced shortly.

Red Raider.....I haven't seen a Greenville County hiring I can remember in recent memory that wowed anyone. And Eastside isnt exactly going to attract the Tom Knotts of the world. But they are getting a good man, and a solid football coach. Will see if he can turn it around over there.

Raider.....will come out in due time. Understand there still may be some issues to work out before announcement is made one way, or the other.

South Aiken has changed their job posting from "Head Football Coach" to "Head Football Coach-PE or Social Studies"

Originally posted by BallCoach17:

South Aiken has changed their job posting from "Head Football Coach" to "Head Football Coach-PE or Social Studies"
That should appeal to a LARGE number of high school football "coaches".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT