2. Bamberg
3. Nation Ford
4. Northwestern
5. Dreher
6. RNE
7. Denmark
8. Creek Bridge
9. Claflin Collge

Who are the top names for the job openings?

Finalists for SHS head boys hoops coach announcedShareLarger font size

JO JO ENGLISH

Posted: Sunday, March 31, 2013 6:00 am
By DENNIS BRUNSON dennisb@theitem.com

Former University of South Carolina basketball standout Jo Jo English, Lower Richland High School head coach Willie Thomas and Irmo High School junior varsity head coach Nick Agnello are the finalists for the varsity boys basketball head coaching job at Sumter High School, Sumter School District announced on Saturday.
The district initially said it wouldn't announce the finalists for the job until after spring break. However, district spokesperson Shelly Galloway said interviews were concluded on Friday and the decision was made to announce the finalists.

She added the three candidates are being vetted and that the new head coach will not be announced until after spring break.

Sumter is looking to replace Sam Fuller, who resigned after two seasons as head coach. He led the Gamecocks to an 18-11 record and the 4A lower state championship game this season.

English is likely the most recognizable of the trio. He was a standout at Lower Richland High School in the late 1980s before starring at USC and playing a couple of seasons with the Chicago Bulls in the National Basketball Association.

English coached the Scott's Branch varsity girls basketball team for the last few games of the 2011-12 season after head coach Ruth Coard was killed in an automobile accident. He has been part of the faculty at Scott's Branch this season.

Thomas just completed his first year as head coach at Lower Richland. He led the Diamond Hornets to a 16-11 and the third round of the 3A state playoffs.

Thomas was at Lake City prior to coming to LR. He led Lake City to the 2010 3A state championship game. That would be his final season as it was announced he resigned in October of 2010. Thomas, however, said he didn't resign.

He was the head coach at Holly Hill-Roberts prior to that and led the school to three 3A state titles in four years from 1996-99. He won two 1A state titles at Bowman prior to that.

Agnello led the Irmo junior varsity to a 16-0 record this past season. Irmo's varsity team won the 4A state title this season, going undefeated as well.
This post was edited on 3/12 8:40 PM by jackets56

This post was edited on 4/1 7:47 AM by jackets56

Unless you have to deal with the football animal. If you keep too many and always get them out 2-3 weeks late, it's a tough way to go. Gossett is well respected in the business.

Wow Dreher and Northeast. Those guys do a great job with those programs. Wonder why they are leaving?

I think I heard Coach Powell is going into admin. Maybe some of these guys are just getting tired of all the mess a coach has to listen to nowadays.

I think the problem is that there is a lot more to being a basketball coach than just basketball. Being a part of a school district in turmoil, have a meddling principal, or a lack of support from AD and principal are causing people to walk away. Think about it Sumter, Dreher, and RNE are open and coach ISNT leaving for another Head Coaching job. That is pretty unusual.

Lewisville's Davis headed to Northwestern
Posted April 1, 2013 7:55 am | Filed under Featured, Sports
By Chris Miller
According to WVOC radio in Columbia, Lewisville head coach Larry Davis will be the next basketball coach at Northwestern High. Davis led Lewisville to the 1A state basketball championship last month. The former Gamecock star will join his old teammate Melvin Watson as head coaches at Rock Hill Schools. Watson and Davis led South Carolina to the NCAA tournament and a SEC Regular season championship 15 years ago. Davis will take over for long time Northwestern boy's coach Mike Gossett.

Oakbrook Prep boys basketball coach George Burgess resigned on Monday for personal reasons, he said Thursday during a telephone interview.
Burgess cited needing to "focus more on my family and growing my faith" as reasons for stepping down.
Burgess spent four years as the Knights head coach and one year as an assistant athletic director. He led Oakbrook to its first SCISA 2A state championship with a 78-50 victory against rival Spartanburg Christian Academy this season.
The Knights finished 23-9 and also captured the Region III-2A title. Burgess was subsequently named region and SCISA 2A state coach of the year.

Oakbrook Prep Coach Resigns

Glenn Reese has stepped down after two seasons as boys basketball coach at Blue Ridge High School.

"Although I have enjoyed my brief time at Blue Ridge, now that the program is headed in a positive direction, I must step away to spend more time with my family," Reese said in a news release Friday.

Reese compiled a record of 13-35 at Blue Ridge, including 10-14 this past season.

"When I accepted the head coaching position at Blue Ridge two years ago, my goal was to instill discipline in the basketball program and teach players what it takes to be successful," Reese said in the release. "Progress was made, which is evident by us winning 10 games, the most wins here in the last four years. However, it was still disappointing to lose five games by just one possession."

In 12 years as coach at Landrum, Boiling Springs and Blue Ridge, Reese has a record of 154-142.

Blue Ridge Coach Steps Down

Harris: English accepts SHS hoops job
ShareShare Print
Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

SHS Principal Pastides Harris

Jo Jo English
Posted: Tuesday, April 2, 2013 6:00 am
By JUSTIN DRIGGERS jdriggers@theitem.com
The decision about who will lead the Sumter High School varsity boys basketball team next season has officially been made.
SHS principal Sterling Harris announced on Monday that former Lower Richland High and University of South Carolina standout Jo Jo English was offered the position and he accepted.
The offer is still pending, however, until English signs a contract of employment with the school for next year - something that won't be able to take place until after spring break, Harris said.
English was one of three finalists for the position along with current Lower Richland head coach Willie Thomas and Irmo High School junior varsity head coach Nick Agnello.
English starred at Lower Richland in the late 1980s before moving on to become a standout at USC. English earned a spot in the National Basketball Association with the Chicago Bulls for a few seasons.
His head coaching experience is limited to a few games at the end of the 2011-12 season when he took over the Scott's Branch High varsity girls team after head coach Ruth Coard was killed in an automobile accident. English has been a part of the SBHS faculty this year.
English replaces Sam Fuller, who resigned after two seasons as head coach. He led the Gamecocks to an 18-11 record and the 4A lower state championship game this season.

Laurens is open- Freeze concentrating on AD? Is he the AD?

Good luck to Reese finding a job anywhere in Spartanburg-

Burgess is a clown- guess after Larry and Devarte moved on, he ran out of guys he could get to live with him- focusing on his training? lol

Congrats to Larry Davis- I think everybody could see that his run at Lewisville would bring him a different job.

how about KG for a head job somewhere? And bring back Nate! He was a wiseguy...beyond his years :0

Murray Long has resigned after three seasons as Riverside's boys basketball coach. Long took over as the school's athletic director in August, and he will continue in that role.

Riverside High School

i was told that someone has to be "out of there mind" to take the Riverside job.

For Greg Miller, coaching is a "calling."
"I
definitely wouldn't want to be anywhere else," he said. "I can remember
back to middle school, knowing it's something I'd want to do one day."
On Monday night, Miller was introduced as the new boys basketball coach at Riverside High School.Miller,
31, an assistant at Greer High under Jeff Neely the past six years,
replaces Murray Long, who resigned after six seasons.

Riverside Names Coach

Spartanburg High School is open- Hal McManus is headed to Boiling Springs to be AD

Thoughts on who get this job?

They are going to be really good- got an all region kid as a freshman coming back and another rising sophomore who might end up being better in the long run.

Again, probably another coach tired of giving away his life to a profession that is going to be criticized no matter what and a game that is going awry. No fun anymore. Do the AD job, spend more time with your own kids at home and let somebody else have it. That's what I figure.

It seems to be that way. So many coaches going and coming. Most of them complain about the admin, not having time to even focus on basketball, too many classes to teach, or just tired of the political game. It's a shame because some good coaches have gotten/getting out of the profession. Besides the pay isn't great and most people want to get the highest three years of pay for retirement and coaching high school isn't paying the bills. Gotta love what you do and remember it's for the kids you coach and teach and find a balance to raise your own family as well. Tough job and high stress levels for the pay.

Well said outlookinin. I agree totally. Several high school coaches are getting out of the profession to live a more stress-free and peaceful life. At big name high schools the pressure of winning can take the fun out of coaching. Also, the pay for high school coaches is horrible. They don't get paid nearly enough to go through the stress they endure when coaching and teaching high school kids. The salaries of most these coaches are actually lower than what a lot of ordinary plant workers make. Seems to me like Hal would rather be an AD, and live a stress-free life. Decent pay as AD and less-stress. Much respect

Not sure that is a reasonable list there... Can't see Choplin and Fowler leaving where they are at for Spartanburg.

I could probably see a local guy like Layne Fowler from Byrnes getting this job. My pick is it will be a coach from one of the surrounding area high schools. Lynn Smith(Landrum), Greg Smith(Chapman), and maybe even Thomas Ryan(Dorman). Spartanburg has a stud sophomore that is returning in Taverres Scott. With him, their program will be in good shape for at least the next three years. Very appealing job

Fowler is home (played there) but he might not want to fight that football thing and might be looking. I don't think Ryan will cross the line - would a coach move just for a good player? Especially when players move around so much now. He might get over there and the kid could be gone. Greg Wilson? He is the Chapman AD and might move into the role as district AD when that role is created. Food for thought.

What about Smith at Landrum ? (Thoughts) He's done some great things at Landrum. Thought Reese gave up Blue Ridge to be with family? There's got to be some more canidates names out there. Is it officially open yet? Anyone on staff there that would get it?

Like many others in the past several months, DeAndre Scott was
amazed at just how much Socastee sports teams have achieved this year.
He
rattled them off, one by one, recognizing everything the Braves did
during the fall, winter and spring sports seasons. Now, it's his job to
make sure the boys basketball program keeps up.
Scott was
announced Thursday as Socastee's new hoops coach. He'll replace Tommy
Johnson, who officially retired from the game Wednesday after eight
seasons with the Braves and 40 overall between three high schools and
Morehead State University.

Read more here: http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2013/05/16/3489840/socastee-hires-next-basketball.html#storylink=cpy

DeAndre Scott at Socastee

I look for Spartanburg to fill this job with one of Hal's current assistants- it will more than likely be Fred Ford.

You really think they would give this job to this guy? Has he ever been a head coach before? We are talking about one of the best basketball jobs in the state, I don't think spartanburg would just give this job away. They will hire a young coach who has a proven track record. Or at least I would hope so for the kids sake!

They will probably give this job to Hal's assistant Ford. I mean there are not a lot of proven "young" head coaches out there. Its mainly a lot of young assistants out there. And if they are going to hire an assistant from another school then why not just keep Ford since he's already there. But it would seem more logical that a big school like Spartanburg would at least post this job opening and interview multiple people instead of just giving it Ford.

times are tough for school budgets- you also have to figure out what positions are available as far as teachers- people forget these coaches are teachers first, unless they are the AD. With Coach Miller coming in, there was no way that the new basketball coach would take over AD responsibilities as well, like Coach McManus did. Coach Ford already works at SHS, and would not require any budget approval or new position created.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT