ADVERTISEMENT

Lake Marion vs Irmo??

princeg

All-State Pick
Nov 2, 2003
Lake Marion had one of the most impressive team of athletes that I have seen in South Carolina regardless of classification. The question I have is could they hang with Irmo or possibly beat them.

In the words of Chris Carter.....Come on man! I know Im biased but lets look at this objectively. Lake Marion played one 4a team all year, one! AND LOST, to sumter by 5. A sumter team that lost by 10 to goose creek, we all saw what Irmo did to Goose Creek on friday. Irmo has played about 15 games against teams better than Sumter this year. Further proof, Irmo scrimmaged Sumter (i know scrimmages can be deceiving) but both teams had all their football players there. Irmo won by 57 (in 8 quarters). Irmo has way more size, more college players, and experience. Max preps rankings have Irmo number one in the state 17th in the country, Lake Marion is ranked 9th in the state, 820 in the country. Those rankings are computer based. I know they are rankings but they are objective. IMO there are about 6-7 teams in 4a better than Lake Marion. Congrats on your championship but lets be real here.
This post was edited on 3/4 8:10 AM by DaCocks23

Maybe your right. But you are biased. I was still very impressed with Lake Marion. The game may be better than you think. Regardless of computer rankings you have to play the game on the floor. Don't care who you played or even beat, different teams match up differently. Oh yeah. Hope you are talking about baseball because when it comes to the real Carolina it ain't South Carolina in regards to basketball. It's UNC baby! Just having fun. But I'm serious Tar Heel Basketball.

Originally posted by #1Nasir:

. Hope you are talking about baseball because when it comes to the real Carolina it ain't South Carolina in regards to basketball. It's UNC baby! Just having fun. But I'm serious Tar Heel Basketball.
You do realize the number 1 baseball team in the country is the Diamond Heels?

Biased or not, Irmo was 29-0 playing all but 1 game vs 4a teams. Lake Marion was 0-1 vs 4a teams. Lake Marion plays Irmos schedule and they have 5 or more loses.

That is right. Sorry I was just buggin off the real Carolina Thing. The Real Carolina is North Carolina!

It is mostly about matchups, so you really cant say who played who and how they faired against similar opponents but let me just make this comparision based on classifications... Newberry is a REALLY good team, but Gaffney beat them by nearly 30 in the Upward Classic and this was not one of Gaffneys better teams in recent history (but they play a certain way because they have a program so the kids are competitive regardless of the talent). Lake Marion was the best 2A team in state, but Irmo was the most dominant team in the biggest classification and they have a program (so they have a certain "swagger" that they play with)... O, and WHIPPLE is one of the best.

Originally posted by Dacocks23:

In the words of Chris Carter.....Come on man! I know Im biased but lets look at this objectively. Lake Marion played one 4a team all year, one! AND LOST, to sumter by 5. A sumter team that lost by 10 to goose creek, we all saw what Irmo did to Goose Creek on friday. Irmo has played about 15 games against teams better than Sumter this year. Further proof, Irmo scrimmaged Sumter (i know scrimmages can be deceiving) but both teams had all their football players there. Irmo won by 57 (in 8 quarters). Irmo has way more size, more college players, and experience. Max preps rankings have Irmo number one in the state 17th in the country, Lake Marion is ranked 9th in the state, 820 in the country. Those rankings are computer based. I know they are rankings but they are objective. IMO there are about 6-7 teams in 4a better than Lake Marion. Congrats on your championship but lets be real here.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

First of all I'm just asking a question to see what unbiased basketball people think and just for the record I think Irmo would only win because of Coach Whipple. Besides the strength of schedule, I don't think most of the things you pointed out are factors in Irmo's favor at all. Obviously you have not seen Lake Marion play because they actually have more size than Irmo. They have 9 players 6'4 and over and they have 2 seniors who will be playing college ball next year with 3 underclassmen being recruited. When they played Sumter early in the season they were without Mike Williams who was playing in a Football all-star game in Texas. Thats like asking Irmo to go undefeated without Mckie. I don't put much emphasis on polls because games are won on the court. I agree that Irmo's schedule was much stronger and I give them the edge because of the kind of program that Whipple runs but I think this game would be a lot closer than you think.
This post was edited on 3/4 11:59 PM by princeg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT