ADVERTISEMENT

media driven and greatly overblown problem...

Feb 4, 2013
The more people swim the more we will have drown. Why don't we outlaw swimming? The more people drive, the more the chance they will be killed while driving. Why don't we outlaw driving? The more we go outside, the greater the risk of sun cancer. Why don't we force everyone to stay indoors? The more we sit around on our fat butts and eat the greater the risk of heart disease. Might need to outlaw eating. It's all bullcrap.. Coaching can be a factor, but injuries will always happen in any activity. Studies show teenage boys are no more at risk for lifelong impairment from playing football than most activities and much better off for playing this great game. In fact, people that play in the NFL for 5 years or less are shown to live a much healthier and longer life than those who do not. Lower risk of heart disease and other circulatory problems later on in life.

Well you have to remember we now live in a world where the Boy Scouts of America have banned WATER PISTOLS! PE classes in high schools are now basketballs and basketball bleachers. Heck, I fell out of the bed when I was younger and hit my head but we still have beds. Concussions happen and the game can be dangerous but it's a game of collisions and head aches happen sometime. Why do we call for a ban on throwing bricks at policeman that would be a great idea.

We are living in a society that wants the easy way out and wants to sue over everything. We have ALWAYS had concussions- those things occur when you play a collision sport. Toughness means nothing. How many on here actually played the game? How many times did you hit or get hit and "see stars"? That is now a concussion! LLEH, we have all had that happen in football and in life! I might as well shut up as this is time I am wasting that I will never get back.

Concussions and injuries have always been a part of the game, but to stick your head in the sand and whine about "toughness" is the wrong approach to take. Concussions--not headaches--have nothing to do with toughness. The move is to make the game safer for young men so that we can keep it. There are far too many benefits to the game to risk losing it because some refuse to make adjustments to keep players safe. The biggest issue is with second impact syndrome--preventing serious health problems and even death by making sure that players who are concussed do not return to play too soon. Only the ignorant would ignore the science. It's the same as those who didn't want to give kids water. We know better now.

Watch this video, then see if you still feel the same way (and this young man survived)::

For those who complain about players faking concussions---the same ones faked other injuries to get out of practice, too. That's not new. Don't mix the concussion/player safety issue in with that. I certainly hope that no one who actually coaches would take the position that we don't need to protect these players, we just need to toughen them up. There is a responsibility in coaching to not only win games, build character, build toughness, build men---but to also make sure that we do not do things that needlessly endangers them.

no one is arguing that football isn't dangerous. No one has banned kids from playing it.
Sure you can drown from swimming. Your risk of drowning decreases when you are in a 3ft of water in a pool vs 6ft of water in the ocean with a heavy riptide. You tell me where you would feel safer with your kid swimming. We know they both have risks, we just know that one has a greater risk of permanent injury than the other.

I remember when Nascar drivers didn't have all the fire suits and safety precautions they do now. I remember when MLB players didn't wear earflaps on their helmets. I have seen the photos where catchers didn't wear any gear. I have seen the old films where there were no face masks on football helmets, and they were made from leather, then plastic, then the face masks were plastic. There was a time when you didn't get water at practice in the 98 degree heat for the entire 3 hour practice..That made you "tough"
Then there were these heat related rules and laws that made us "weaker"
Nevermind that studies and science can tell us that what we have been doing for so long is wrong and not for the best of our health.

My point...As we move forward in society and learn more about what we have been doing vs what we can do better to allow for us to have better health, why argue with it?
All that was changed was that a kid can't play in more than 4 quarters in a week. You can Honestly tell me you want your kid out on a football field for 30 snaps on defense and special teams on Thursday night, then again out there for 25 snaps on offense the next night? Please.

no one is arguing that football isn't dangerous. No one has banned kids from playing it.
Sure you can drown from swimming. Your risk of drowning decreases when you are in a 3ft of water in a pool vs 6ft of water in the ocean with a heavy riptide. You tell me where you would feel safer with your kid swimming. We know they both have risks, we just know that one has a greater risk of permanent injury than the other.

I remember when Nascar drivers didn't have all the fire suits and safety precautions they do now. I remember when MLB players didn't wear earflaps on their helmets. I have seen the photos where catchers didn't wear any gear. I have seen the old films where there were no face masks on football helmets, and they were made from leather, then plastic, then the face masks were plastic. There was a time when you didn't get water at practice in the 98 degree heat for the entire 3 hour practice..That made you "tough"
Then there were these heat related rules and laws that made us "weaker"
Nevermind that studies and science can tell us that what we have been doing for so long is wrong and not for the best of our health.

My point...As we move forward in society and learn more about what we have been doing vs what we can do better to allow for us to have better health, why argue with it?
All that was changed was that a kid can't play in more than 4 quarters in a week. You can Honestly tell me you want your kid out on a football field for 30 snaps on defense and special teams on Thursday night, then again out there for 25 snaps on offense the next night? Please.

Please do not misconstrue my original post.. I am very much in favor of making the game as safe as possible. The school that I am at goes into strict concussion protocol when a kid shows any sign of a possible concussion. My point is the game does not need make radical changes and that the concussion issue is not what it is being made out to be. We have looked at the rugby style of tackling and other measures to limit the use of the head while tackling, but the only problem with that is usually the amount of shoulder surgeries goes through the roof. We usually(like everybody) deal with a few concussed players each year. Most are very minor and show zero symptoms 2 or 3 days post impact. Now you have to ask, is it worth changing everything we teach, to trade in a few minor concussions for several possible shoulder surgeries that will have far greater lifelong impact on the player. To me, teach heads up tackling and try and limit the contact as much as you can.

Last edited:
Football good concussion bad bad ! As long as there is football there will be concussions. As long as there are exams there will be prayer in school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT