ADVERTISEMENT

NOISE MAKERS, BANDS, ETC

GS194

Two Year Starter
Jan 22, 2015
So as not to hijack another thread, pasted this here. Seems to be some bantering about the use of noise makers, bands etc. Can anyone point me to the specific rule or post it here? This is what I found and it is ONLY in the Basketball section of the SCHSL rule book. I did NOT see anything in the softball section about noise makers or bands.
BASKETBALL --- The principal of the host school will prohibit the use of loud noisemakers, i.e. cowbell, air horns, radios and musical instruments. The tournament director will forbid noisemakers
during tournament play.
Under the playoff section for BASKETBALL - Bands, musical instruments, radios, tape players, cowbells, air horns, megaphones (other than those used by cheerleaders) or other offensive noisemakers will not be permitted. Signs, banners or flags will not be permitted.

per the governing body, in this case the SCHSL the same rules apply. However, the umpire is NOT required to ask for an administrator UNLESS a complaint is made by the HEAD COACH of the team that is bothered by it.

IF the BS HC ask the ump to make them move and to stop then the UIC should have honored that request.

Clover lost 10 games. Played hardest schedule in SC according to max preps. Complaints about fans are spilled milk. They are white hot, very old, and have a rabid base suddenly of kids in the OF. It's a good combo

There's a way to beat them but I'm not posting it. Go region 3.

I was hoping this would not turn in to a BS vs Clover thread, but what can you do...
Scalp, in response to your post above. Is that your opinion, words from the SCHSL or is it captured in writing somewhere?
IMO, it would be a leap to take words written only in the basketball section and say they apply to all sports unless it is captured in writing somewhere else.
Seems a lot of fans have issues with the artificial noisemakers, bands etc and are quick to say they are forbidden, but I am not seeing that in the rule book.
Yes, I understand the ump and administartors are allowed to use their judgement to control certain aspects of a sporting event, just not sure about the actual rule.
Anyone?

Last edited:
THIS IS ONLY MY OPINION
It seems to me comparing basketball noise rules to softball noise rules is like apples to oranges. Basketball is indoors and noise makers would make it almost unbearable for anyone in attendance. Football allows the entire band to play during the game if I'm not mistaken. I wish there was a clear cut definition or rule from the SCHSL but they always seem to leave us wanting more.

Reactions: softballfan111
Interesting.... Over 500 views and a couple of opinions, but no one has posted the specific rules about noise makers, bands, signs etc.

Not sure what the high school rule is, but it is prohibited in college softball to use noise makers. The NCAA recently upheld a protest that was lodged in the 6th inning about noise makers , which were items the opposing players beat on the wall in the dugout. The game was reverted back to the 5th inning and the team/coach that protested won the game and went on to win their conference. This can be seen on an article on the two teams involved, both D3 teams

It against rules in ASA. Too many rule differences in ASA and Fed. That's why so much arguing, because fans don't know difference in the rules.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT