ADVERTISEMENT

Question for those in the know about SC numbers

scpackfan

Four Year Letterman
Dec 10, 2001
The recent decision to wrestle in Aiken County got me wondering. I had always thought all public schools had a wrestling team but a obviously not based on the Aiken info.

There are 495 high schools in South Carolina, made up of 330 public schools and 165 private schools. Anyone know how many high schools (public and private) field a wrestling team or know where the numbers might be found?

There are 212 high schools in SC. 139 or so of those have wrestling.

The recent decision to wrestle in Aiken County got me wondering. I had always thought all public schools had a wrestling team but a obviously not based on the Aiken info.

There are 495 high schools in South Carolina, made up of 330 public schools and 165 private schools. Anyone know how many high schools (public and private) field a wrestling team or know where the numbers might be found?

not sure where you're getting 330 public high schools. assume some of those are schools like charleston school for the arts who does not field athletics or legacy charter in greenville who is not a sanctioned High School League member.

Looking at purely the high school league membership here is the break down

4A - 49 schools field wrestling
3A - 43 / 44
2A - 34 maybe??
1A - 8 maybe??

assuming those are accurate you have around we'll say 135 (TR Dog's 139 could be correct as well) schools who field wrestling. Combine that with the SCISA schools (8 of those??) you have somewhere in the mid 140s probably.

camden military has wrestling also but i do not believe they belong to either governing body.

I got the numbers from high-schools.com

http://high-schools.com/directory/sc/

Looks like the numbers include both schools you mention. They also include centers that I presume provide opportunities for getting a GED. So, the numbers are definitely inflated.

Even at 139 vs. 212 public per TR Dog and 8 vs. 122 (SCISA Membership), that is a lot kids without the opportunity to wrestle. Is it allowed for kids to wrestle at a school with wrestling if their school does not?

ADVERTISEMENT