ADVERTISEMENT

Seneca

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
I'm hearing that there is a good possibility that they will offer this to Dean Boyd (again); not sure if money will be there.

Probably because most coaches know about all of the people outside of the school that are allowed to have influence over the program. If they combine football and AD, its a well-paying job. Outside influences are the most likely reason for a weak applicant pool.

Reactions: BobcatVol
not sure who applied, even thought Seneca has good talent, it is still Oconee County, that may make it less attractive

My guess is that Seneca expected a bunch of "names" to apply and are disappointed that didn't happen. I can assure you there are plenty of good football coaches who applied. Seneca has a little inflated sense of self worth.

Outside influences and politics is a huge underlying issue at Seneca. I've seen it first hand. Hopefully whoever gets the job will stand their gound. Seneca has always been hung up on getting big names instead of good fits. So them being disappointed don't surprise me one bit.

Last edited:
I wonder with SO many vacancies across the state if the "pool" of suitable applicants was diminished?

Or do the big names simply apply for every single job....

:confused:

Dean Boyd will be at the table in a little while to talk. We'll see if they can make an offer that would persuade him; will be tough; oldest daughter is back in NMB teaching and about to get married. So, different situation from when they screwed him two years ago; frankly, I wouldn't talk with them after what they did.

How did they screw him last time?
He was told on Thu or Fri the job was his after coming up there three times. About the same time, Catchcart decided he wasn't going to Hanna and they talked to him over the weekend. Dean didn't hear back from them on Monday and called and was told "change of plans."

Wow that's pretty classless but honestly not surprising. I don't know what's more bizarre. Seneca being arrogant enough to call him back. Or him even entertaining them after that. No wonder alot of coaches didn't put in for the job.

Wow that's pretty classless but honestly not surprising. I don't know what's more bizarre. Seneca being arrogant enough to call him back. Or him even entertaining them after that. No wonder alot of coaches didn't put in for the job.
Well, he's got another program left in him and needs to get his pay up for retirement; I don't think Seneca is going to be that place; it's 75K right now from my understanding.

As for his situation, it was good two years ago; daughter at Clemson and another headed that way; but now oldest is in NMB and about to get married; which could mean grands in the future; he and mama aren't going to want to be in Seneca when the grands are on the other side of the state.

And you're right; I can't believe they had the gonads to call him back after that last time.

I hope Seneca takes a long look at his family situation. We just had Wayne Green take off because he wanted to be "closer to family" or at least that was the public line (Ive heard rumors that say different). I just hope that the next guy will be here for the long run. This program needs long lasting stability.

Would any of the candidates that yall know of be classified as a "defensive guy"? It seems like, from my casual observing eye, that's been our weaker side of the ball for years.

Would any of the candidates that yall know of be classified as a "defensive guy"? It seems like, from my casual observing eye, that's been our weaker side of the ball for years.
If you are looking for a defensive guy then Brian Smith is your guy. Was a defensive player at the Citadel and has a thorough background defensively. He was a graduate assistant at The Citadel and coached defense at Manning as well. Also being at a 1A school he knows about all three aspects of the game and takes pride in defense, special teams, and offense. I think he would be a steal at Seneca. He took a basketball school in CE Murray that has never been anything in football and took them to a state title game in 3 years. He also pushes his guys to the next level and is always taking them to camps and competitions. He is definitely the father type figure that you would want your son to play for.

Smith sounds like a class guy. I didn't know anything about him but that's one heck of a description. He could be a folk hero here if he could teach the defense how to stop a dual threat qb and not give up big plays in the secondary............if he's hired.

Last edited:
Smith sounds like a class guy. I didn't know anything about him but that's one heck of a description. He could be a folk hero if he could teach the defense how to stop a dual threat qb and not give up big plays in the secondary............if he's hired.
Another thing Brian will bring to Seneca is stability. He has a young family and wants to set roots somewhere (Seneca) and be there for a while. Not looking to use it as a stepping stone. Looking over the past couple years at Seneca, this is something the community and student/athletes need there.

Yes we need it big time. The next guy will be the 4th coach in 4 years. That's alot to deal with for any program. I hope the powers that be can get it right this time.

Brian P. Smith IS a finalist; I hope he gets this; he is very deserving and Seneca will be getting not only a heck of a coach but a great man and leader of young men.

Um... is Blue Bulldog actually Brian Smith?

Forget Governor, let's go President Smith!

:D

(All-jokes-both-typed-and-implied-are-just-that-JOKES-not-to-be-taken-personally-or-intended-to-incite-or-anger-anyone. We-now-return-you-to-this-thread)

Um... is Blue Bulldog actually Brian Smith?

Forget Governor, let's go President Smith!

:D

(All-jokes-both-typed-and-implied-are-just-that-JOKES-not-to-be-taken-personally-or-intended-to-incite-or-anger-anyone. We-now-return-you-to-this-thread)
No I played with Brian at The Citadel.

I hear the manager of Walmart in Seneca never misses a game on tv & even plays a lot of madden with his children. He'd make an awesome HC hire in Oconee county!
I've seen some guys coaching now that may be getting their plays off of X-Box

Well, he's got another program left in him and needs to get his pay up for retirement; I don't think Seneca is going to be that place; it's 75K right now from my understanding.

As for his situation, it was good two years ago; daughter at Clemson and another headed that way; but now oldest is in NMB and about to get married; which could mean grands in the future; he and mama aren't going to want to be in Seneca when the grands are on the other side of the state.

And you're right; I can't believe they had the gonads to call him back after that last time.
I was told by a reliable source that what was said about what happened with the last hire and Coach Boyd was not true. Maybe that's why he went back for another interview.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT