ADVERTISEMENT

Seneca

JB, I know for a fact that what you said did indeed happen. It was Dean's job and people behind the scenes schemed for CAtchart hire to happen.

I think this is like many situations, where what everyone says is partially true. My understanding is that Cathcart was always the top choice, but it was assumed he would take the Hanna job. So, the Seneca folks decided that their next best option was Boyd. But, before Boyd was offered the job, Cathcart turned Hanna down and the Seneca folks wasted no time in locking him up.

I think this is like many situations, where what everyone says is partially true. My understanding is that Cathcart was always the top choice, but it was assumed he would take the Hanna job. So, the Seneca folks decided that their next best option was Boyd. But, before Boyd was offered the job, Cathcart turned Hanna down and the Seneca folks wasted no time in locking him up.
I'm not so sure it happened "before" Boyd was offered the job. Of course, I wasn't on the committee and can't say exactly what happened but from what I understand, at the very least, it was not handled very well.

Hearing Brian Smith has been offered the Seneca job can anyone confirm?
Not true; down to two, though; Brian is one of them. Other is from NC. Unsure if Dean is still in the mix or not; I'm hearing just Smith and the guy from NC.

Brian Smith? Good man, good moral example for the kids. But his track record as a head coach screams loudly that this wouldn't exactly lead to the type successful program on the field that the folks in Seneca are hoping for. My gut tells me that if they are down to seriously considering this move that they must be having trouble attracting the candidates they really want.

Are you talking about Brian Smith of Southside, Riverside, Thurmond, North Greenville, and 2 or 3 stops in Georgia Brian Smith? I thought we were talking CE Murray's Brian Smith?

Brian Smith? Good man, good moral example for the kids. But his track record as a head coach screams loudly that this wouldn't exactly lead to the type successful program on the field that the folks in Seneca are hoping for. My gut tells me that if they are down to seriously considering this move that they must be having trouble attracting the candidates they really want.
Track record? He took over a dead CE Murray program and in three years took them to state title game. Prior to that was assistant at Manning with Robbie Briggs. He's be a GREAT PIC. Brian P. Smith

Correct. Probably would have helped if I had read all of the previous posts. But I was thinking of the wrong Brian Smith. For some reason he seemed to be in the mix for a lot of jobs in the upstate over the years. Saw the name Brian Smith and couldn't believe it. The OTHER Brian Smith would probably be a good choice for them.

Correct. Probably would have helped if I had read all of the previous posts. But I was thinking of the wrong Brian Smith. For some reason he seemed to be in the mix for a lot of jobs in the upstate over the years. Saw the name Brian Smith and couldn't believe it. The OTHER Brian Smith would probably be a good choice for them.

You were thinking of the jerk Brian Smith.

You sound like you would no better than I. Have been told by some folks that he is a pretty high moral guy. Don't know anything about the jerk factor. But I do know that he isn't a head coach, as has been proven at all of his previous stops in that position. Figured the guy must have the interview process down cold, or the greatest contacts in the history of the state.

Any news ??? when will Seneca announce new coach ?
I'm hearing four for finals; Brian P. Smith (CE Murray), Phil Smith (Riverside), Hal Capps (Mooresville NC), Dean Boyd (Marlboro County) are the ones I've heard.

Last edited:
I don't care who comes here as long as they can develop and help these kids get to the next level. We had 8 kids sign yesterday with d2 schools. I'm happy for them but that seems to always be the ceiling for Seneca kids. I know we're not a d1 prospect factory but I can't understand why we can't get kids into Furman, Wofford, Coastal and other fcs schools.

They interviewed four Tuesday. Two were chosen by the committee as finalists. Principal will choose by Saturday. I couldn't coax the other name from the source.

Reactions: BobcatVol
Don't know if he will get it, but Smith sure needs to get put of Riverside. Maybe he is just weary of having little talent, but his poor attitude last year really wore on some folks. Now I know he is probably feeling desperate to in his chase to put himself in position to succeed Gutshall, so maybe a little more talent at Seneca would help his mood a bit.

Given our recent hiring track record, I'm sure the Seneca brain trust will hire Smith. Gutshall will retire after next season. Dorman will hire Smith and we'll be going coach #5 in 5 years.

Capps is from NC, he was in the news a year or so ago for hosting an event for his players to be baptized

Almost true... Capps is a state championship coach who spent his career at two schools...both are considered among the tops in the state during his tenure. He is a Christian man with high standards. The "hosting" event came when he was asked by some of his players to participate in their baptism. What he does on his own time should have never been an issue, but we are so #%#*! politically correct, someone found fault with him projecting values others wanted to share. So some players saw their coach as a fatherly figure and wanted to include him in their own profession of faith...and that is blurring the lines? To me, it should be applauded. (For the record, I coached against him in the second round...as he was headed to his first state finals game. My observations come from 31 years of coaching in NC. He is a fine coach and a great role model.)

Almost true... Capps is a state championship coach who spent his career at two schools...both are considered among the tops in the state during his tenure. He is a Christian man with high standards. The "hosting" event came when he was asked by some of his players to participate in their baptism. What he does on his own time should have never been an issue, but we are so #%#*! politically correct, someone found fault with him projecting values others wanted to share. So some players saw their coach as a fatherly figure and wanted to include him in their own profession of faith...and that is blurring the lines? To me, it should be applauded. (For the record, I coached against him in the second round...as he was headed to his first state finals game. My observations come from 31 years of coaching in NC. He is a fine coach and a great role model.)

I did not mean or say anything negative, just giving a point of reference for those who did not know who he is.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT