ADVERTISEMENT

The Greenwave Does It Again

grenwavedoc

Five Star Prospect
Aug 17, 2001
Summerville, SC
The Wave had the game under control and should have won last night. The defense played well enough most of the night but gave up big scores with little time remaining. I thought the coaches did a poor job in not using the clock to their advantage. I couldn't see why Bennett fumbled the ball away with just over 2 minutes to play, but he was probably dong what running QB's do; trying to get extra yardage when he should have gone down or OOB. I feel bad for the team in this loss, but you have to win the ones you should have won.

Yes we certainly had a great opportunity to pick up the win last night. Just as in the Spartanburg game, not securing the ball while running cost us dearly. I was however impressed with the way our team responded after falling behind early in the game 14 - 0. To have the 11 point lead with a little over 6 minutes remaining was quite the turnaround. That last two minutes of the game killed us however. Defensively we played much better than I thought we were going to. We obviously need work in our secondary. Our Ss were out of position on most deep balls leading to 1 on 1 play with our CBs. With the caliber of receivers which DF had you will end up paying for it as we did late in the game. Offensively we need to work on the pass. Even if it is short dump off passes to our VERY talented receivers, we have to get the ball into their hands somehow. Burnette and Davis are game changers and need to see the ball often. This will open up the running game for some very talented young RBs we have. Having our QB run the ball half the plays is ultimately going to wear him our or lead to injury. I believe part of the reason he lost the ball late in the game is just being exhausted and the other is poor technique. He HAS to tuck the ball away once he decides to run with it but that is not happening. Our QB coach should be working with him on this at every practice. You know other teams see this in film and will target the ball when he is on the move. Bennett is very fast and has great size and will eventually we a very good QB for Summerville. I just hope he can stay healthy. Well the pre-season is now over. We finished at 1-2 with 2 losses that could have easily have been wins. Hopefully our team walked off the field last night knowing that they can play with some of the best teams in our state. Region play starts next Friday with Goose Creek coming to town. Should be a great atmosphere and I simply can not wait!!!

Yes we certainly had a great opportunity to pick up the win last night. Just as in the Spartanburg game, not securing the ball while running cost us dearly. I was however impressed with the way our team responded after falling behind early in the game 14 - 0. To have the 11 point lead with a little over 6 minutes remaining was quite the turnaround. That last two minutes of the game killed us however. Defensively we played much better than I thought we were going to. We obviously need work in our secondary. Our Ss were out of position on most deep balls leading to 1 on 1 play with our CBs. With the caliber of receivers which DF had you will end up paying for it as we did late in the game. Offensively we need to work on the pass. Even if it is short dump off passes to our VERY talented receivers, we have to get the ball into their hands somehow. Burnette and Davis are game changers and need to see the ball often. This will open up the running game for some very talented young RBs we have. Having our QB run the ball half the plays is ultimately going to wear him our or lead to injury. I believe part of the reason he lost the ball late in the game is just being exhausted and the other is poor technique. He HAS to tuck the ball away once he decides to run with it but that is not happening. Our QB coach should be working with him on this at every practice. You know other teams see this in film and will target the ball when he is on the move. Bennett is very fast and has great size and will eventually we a very good QB for Summerville. I just hope he can stay healthy. Well the pre-season is now over. We finished at 1-2 with 2 losses that could have easily have been wins. Hopefully our team walked off the field last night knowing that they can play with some of the best teams in our state. Region play starts next Friday with Goose Creek coming to town. Should be a great atmosphere and I simply can not wait!!!
I hope the coaches stress all week why they lost the game, yet they can still play ball with the best talent. Bennett needs to protect the football and realize he has others players who can win games. He does not have to do everything himself.

First of all I'm proud of the boys and how hard they played! You have to put this loss on the OC. We have a stable of backs that have run hard and haven't turned the ball over all season, but we call a qb run with a qb that you know has ball security issues. Then we get the ball back with 1:25 left and we run the ball 3 out of the 4 plays! That is simply baffling! I also agree that Davis & Burnette are playmakers, but the truth is we threw the ball to Davis, he just struggled to catch the football. Burnette was not even involved in the 1st half. Not sure if there is some internal issues, but if I'm the qb I'm throwing my best wr the ball as often as possible! We should be 3-0 right now so there is still hope, but the offense needs to get it together. Defense is improving every week!

I know the one catch that 13 made that noone in the stadium thought anyone was going to catch is a glimpse of what that kid can do.i thought use the runningbacks as well.we run up the middle nada then short side of field very little.everytime we did something big was to the wide side.

Reactions: mrfootball4life
First of all I'm proud of the boys and how hard they played! You have to put this loss on the OC. We have a stable of backs that have run hard and haven't turned the ball over all season, but we call a qb run with a qb that you know has ball security issues. Then we get the ball back with 1:25 left and we run the ball 3 out of the 4 plays! That is simply baffling! I also agree that Davis & Burnette are playmakers, but the truth is we threw the ball to Davis, he just struggled to catch the football. Burnette was not even involved in the 1st half. Not sure if there is some internal issues, but if I'm the qb I'm throwing my best wr the ball as often as possible! We should be 3-0 right now so there is still hope, but the offense needs to get it together. Defense is improving every week!

I agree, we are much better, especially on defense. The new DC really seems to be a good hire! I also agree the catch 13 made deep was a glimpse of his ability. He was probably the only kid on the field that could have made that play! Like Doc said, the coaches need to stress ball security to Bennett. He has 6 fumbles this season already and he still carries the ball loose and away from his body. Everything we aren't doing well is correctable so I'm looking forward to seeing what happens

I agree .anyone got the stats for the game .only stat i got was 3 of6 for 17 in first half passing?

Cam doesn't get enough touches.
I concur. John McKissick stated
I know the one catch that 13 made that noone in the stadium thought anyone was going to catch is a glimpse of what that kid can do.i thought use the runningbacks as well.we run up the middle nada then short side of field very little.everytime we did something big was to the wide side.
I cannot understand why none of the coaches didn't realize that the runs up the middle were getting stuffed repeatedly. Had they given the ball to #6 more and allow him to use his speed outside, they would have been much better served.

I concur. John McKissick stated

I cannot understand why none of the coaches didn't realize that the runs up the middle were getting stuffed repeatedly. Had they given the ball to #6 more and allow him to use his speed outside, they would have been much better served.
I agree! #6 was getting to the corner all night and McCurry and Burnette were doing a great job blocking on the edges for him! Like I stated earlier, the play calling was ridiculous. I really think that if we would have continued to get #6 to the outside and got Cam the ball a few more times this game would not have been close. DF didn't play well and we had our shot. 2 touches for the player who the coaches have said publicly is their best player baffles me! Then again we ran the ball 3 times with 1:25 left in the game so nothing should surprise me!

Cam is the best player on the team.
Everyone on this board agrees with you! Heck everyone in the town of Summerville knows it, you should hear the people in the stands on Friday nights! I guess the coaches philosophy is the best way to win games is not to give the best player the ball. I feel sorry for Cam! I hate to say it, but he probably should have jumped ship like the other kids did.

THE WAVE AINT NOTHING BUT A MIDDLE OF THE ROAD TEAM, A ONE GAME PLAYOFF TEAM

Everyone on this board agrees with you! Heck everyone in the town of Summerville knows it, you should hear the people in the stands on Friday nights! I guess the coaches philosophy is the best way to win games is not to give the best player the ball. I feel sorry for Cam! I hate to say it, but he probably should have jumped ship like the other kids did.
If Cam wasn't very good, why would John McKissick say that he could be the 'next A J Green'? He hasn't been used the whole time as a Green Wave player. It make absolutely no sense. Maybe one of the many coaches could explain the situation. They won't, but if the trend continues, fan support will dwindle and once mighty Wave will only be known for past history. FD and AR will become the team to follow in the 'Ville. I don't want that to happen. The coaches need to get their act together. This team can be good, but only as good as the coach(s) calling the plays.

If Cam wasn't very good, why would John McKissick say that he could be the 'next A J Green'? He hasn't been used the whole time as a Green Wave player. It make absolutely no sense. Maybe one of the many coaches could explain the situation. They won't, but if the trend continues, fan support will dwindle and once mighty Wave will only be known for past history. FD and AR will become the team to follow in the 'Ville. I don't want that to happen. The coaches need to get their act together. This team can be good, but only as good as the coach(s) calling the plays.
Couldnt agree with you more Doc! The kid has double digit D1 offers, but we threw it to him what 2 times Friday night? We could easily be 3-0 this season, but we aren't, we are 1-3! That is on the coaches not the players. I don't know if we are not throwing to him by design or if it is a qb decision but it falls on the coaches to get them on the same page. If the play calling doesn't change, then it won't be long before the play caller will change! Summerville won't be patient when they know they have a good team but are being out coached every night on the offensive side of the ball.

The wave had their chances Friday night...They got most of the breaks until the end. DF had a punt blocked, punt shanked and turnovers. What people forget too is the one TD that was called a catch by DF was an interception. The ref was out of position and called it a TD and it should not have been.
Also in the second half Summerville did open it up to get back into it. The first series of the second half they threw the ball the majority of the time and marched down the field, then they did it again. The lateral that DF had helped Summerville and all of a sudden it was 28 to 14...DF got the FG to make it 28-17...TO me that is when Summerville went back to playing conservative. With a little less then 6 minutes to play the DF QB who to me wasn't a very good passer threw a lob ball up for grabs and it was an INT that didn't go the Villes way. That was the turning point. I have my own theory of why Bennett was running the ball. Simply because you don't want a bad exchange on handoffs and honestly it was working. The kid just made a young mistake and didn't tuck the ball away and it cost them. I said all night if he didn't tuck it away he would eventually lose it at the wrong time and he did. But it is a learning experience for him that honestly is one the he will really learn from.
But I will say, I think DF did over look Summerville and when they jumped on them 14-0 to start I think they thought it was over. That's when the turnovers started happening and the game got fun.
It will be interesting to see how Summerville responds to a GC team that is 0-3. One team needs a win and the other team needs to get this taste out of their mouth. Obviously it can lead to having a good season or it can be a point where if they lose to GC now they are 1-3 and facing AR and history has been on Summerville side. So to me the next two games are crucial to turning things around. With that said that is pretty much how the whole region looks too. Who would have thought. GC would be 0-3, Stratford winless as well.

Couldnt see the pass i assumed the reciever caught it.i had thought our play calling changed aswell in the last 6.
Seemed we stopped doing what was working.it's done now time for the games that really count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT