ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts?

BulldogZ91

Two Year Starter
Jan 7, 2005
Thurmond vs. Powdersville...this to me seems a little over the top. Not sure why this kid wasn't ejected. He clearly launches himself into the defensive player. Didn't determine the outcome of the game but does make you wonder if the kid was ejected how the game would've turned since he was the opposing pitcher. Bush league IMO. Thoughts?

The problem is that there is not clear definition of what is incidental contact. The kid spins to avoid the tag, like you would a football tackle. He does appear to launch himself at the player while doing so. I can see this going both ways. As an umpire you don't want to change the game if at all possible with an ejection. As much as this looks like a cut and dry ejection level event, i've seen much worse happen with the same result. The HSL is going to have to give the umpires some sort of guidelines for incidental or malicious contact. I've seen kids thrown out of games for bumping into a catcher on the way by(and i'm being very literal with that description), i've also seen catcher get form tackled at the plate and not a word gets said. I actually would put this on the HSL and the umpires for not having a clear determination for what needs to be done. I completely understand the coach being upset and he should have been. I have no problem with him getting tossed either, you have to protect your boys. Tough situation, i hope the young man was ok.

From that angle, I would say probably a good no call. Both the runner and the fielder initially move away from the base path, towards left field. (Runner possibly could have been called out at that point for leaving the base path, but again, it is hard to tell from this angle). Then the runner tries a desperate spin move. (The move toward LF may have been designed to set up the spin move). That clearly didn't work out very well, for either of them. Unless another angle turns up, I don't see enough here to take any action against the runner. And there were two umpires with a very good angle, so I would give them the benefit of the doubt on the call.

How is it protecting you kids when you go straight to the umpire to argue instead of checking on your player who got 'run over'. Powdersville was mad they were getting beat and didn't handle it well. They had a good team, but they lost to a better team. It happens.

How is it protecting you kids when you go straight to the umpire to argue instead of checking on your player who got 'run over'. Powdersville was mad they were getting beat and didn't handle it well. They had a good team, but they lost to a better team. It happens.

I don't disagree that the better team won, maybe standing up for your kids is a better phrase. I'm sure there was a trainer on site that went to the player. Could have been handled better all around.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT