ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Thursday/Friday Ask Jamie

Jamie Shaw

Silver Member
Oct 8, 2020
Hey everyone, gonna start something new here ... every couple of days looking to take in all your questions.

we can talk recruiting, players, teams, college, whatever you like ...

Fire away, below..

Reactions: randye12
Hi Jamie , do we lead for Edwards or Butler ? Who do you prefer and who do you compare them too ? Butler reminds me of Brandon Wallace or Ryan Stack . How big will Edwards be ? I’m more high in him long term but you can’t teach 7 ‘ with long arms but I worry Butler will get abused inside unless he plays On the outside more . Thx

Sorry Jamie , guess we mussex in both of those guys above . How does Gortman compare to Hannibals or BJ Mackie at the same stage . Is he a much better shooter from 3 and with a better handle ?

Do we lead for Gortman ? I like he has the NY style handle and can shoot from deep . He is a must along with a Phillips and another Big .

Hi Jamie , do we lead for Edwards or Butler ? Who do you prefer and who do you compare them too ? Butler reminds me of Brandon Wallace or Ryan Stack . How big will Edwards be ? I’m more high in him long term but you can’t teach 7 ‘ with long arms but I worry Butler will get abused inside unless he plays On the outside more . Thx

hey Randy ... Edwards has committed to Xavier and Butler to Florida State ... The Brandon Wallace comp isn’t a bad one, Butler may have a little more off the bounce

one thing to keep in mind with Butler is his age...he is only 17/18 years old, they will be able to put muscle on him

Also, keep in mind Butler has a younger brother who is in the 2023 class who is tracking as a national level prospect as well

Sorry Jamie , guess we mussex in both of those guys above . How does Gortman compare to Hannibals or BJ Mackie at the same stage . Is he a much better shooter from 3 and with a better handle ?

Hannibal and Gortman were on different ends of the spectrum as guards ... Hannibal is stronger and more of a straight line driver ... Gortman is a better ball handler, shot creator and shooter.

Gortman has more pop to his game and is a better defender than BJ was at the same stage ... Gortman does have the same killer offensive mindset McKie had

Do we lead for Gortman ? I like he has the NY style handle and can shoot from deep . He is a must along with a Phillips and another Big .

Things are still early for Gortman as he is just bursting on to the scene and not many have seen him yet. I do feel the in state schools are at the front for him as we speak, but there is a long way to go with him.

What are your thoughts on USC's big men this year? Will Iriel make an impact?

as for the bigs already on campus, I’m expecting a jump from Wildens Leveque. He’s got theSEC size/length and he runs like a deer to be his size, he started to come on late last season and expect him to continue that trend

McCreary will always have a place due to his energy and athleticism. He is a tough matchup, much like Murphy Holloway was in the SEC. he’ll be a defensive presence and will play major minutes

Frink is an ultimate Martin tough guy, who can stretch the floor. He revamped his body completely and is not afraid to really lay into some one. Look for Justin Minaya and possibly Keyshawn Bryant to get some minutes at the 4 as well

As for Iriel, they won’t need him to do much this season as there is nice depth with some versatility in the lineup. He has size, work ethic and athleticism, so if he finds the floor he will provide Solid minutes, but they have some time with him. At 6’10 with the ability to run and a sturdy build, he could at least finish a couple lobs, use a couple fouls and grab a couple boards

Reactions: Gamecock_Law
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT