ADVERTISEMENT

Two more weeks...

darth vomitus

All-State Pick
Jul 9, 2005
... until the movie Foxcatcher is released! Can't wait!!

In the October issue of Amateur Wrestling News, Jim Kalin does an article on the movie and interviews the director, Bennett Miller (Capote, Moneyball). I cannot post a link to the actual article, as you have to be a subscriber, but here is the link to the website: http://amateurwrestlingnews.com/magazine/. You can get an on-line subscription or - like I have since 1989. I have said this before and will say it again, every wrestling fan should subscribe to this periodical!

A couple highlights from the article are some behind the scenes stories from Jake Herbert and JD Bergman, who both had roles in the film, about a couple of scenes that did not escape the cutting room floor. But my favorite part of the article was a quote by Channing Tatum.

Tatum had not wrestled prior to being cast as Mark Schultz. To prepare, he learned to wrestle from Jesse Jantzen, Harvard NCAA Champ, and Mark Schultz himself. Said Tatum, "I challenge anyone who thinks their sport is harder to come try it. This has been the most painful movie I have ever done. I never want to wrestle again." Priceless!! But I would have thought the preparation for Magic Mike would have been harder.

A good wrestling movie is needed for our sport! Hope it connects with the youth population. Who remembers Vision Quest??

Unfortunately I think you are right. Just checked a couple of area theaters and they do not have it listed for that weekend - I too was planning my weekend around it... would have been willing to drive as far as Charlotte as Dave Schultz was, and still is, a big hero of mine.

According to the Kalin article, the movie is more about the murder and relationships with wrestling providing a back drop - like Vision Quest but with less wrestling. About 5 minutes of actual wrestling according to what I read. Still should be a great movie and something high school, and maybe die-hard middle schoolers, would enjoy.

Speaking of Vision Quest, the October issue of AWN has an article by a college professor that argues wrestling is a religion, primarily by breaking down the movie. Very interesting read.

The third segment is an interview with Steve Carell who plays John du Pont. A couple of wrestling scenes shown. Still can't find the wide release date.

http://www.cbs.com/shows/60_minutes/

I am not seeing Columbia, SC anywhere on this list, and it is making me angry!
1505499_10152437404392405_4967804688931086824_n.jpg

That is kind of you to offer to buy popcorn, countykid. But I just received an email from one of the Columbia theaters I had reached out to. Good chance it will be making it to Columbia sometime in January - hopefully the same date as GVegas.

I know you all are probably sick of my continued posts on this topic, but yesterday I discovered something I was previously unaware of that has me pretty excited. Got my November issue of Amateur Wrestling News and read a Jim Kalin review of the book, Foxcatcher by Mark Schultz with David Thomas. Had no idea this existed, and as I enjoy reading in general, and especially anything that has to do with the world's greatest sport, I can't wait to read this.

But what really has me stoked are some comments Kalin makes in his review, "But Foxcatcher the film is not really about wrestling, and pretty much the full two hours of screen time is dedicated exclusively to Mark's experiences with du Pont. Foxcatcher the book is absolutely about wrestling," and "There is no reason not to read Foxcatcher. It's a difficult book to put down, especially during the first half. It explains so much about what drove Mark Schultz to be one of the greatest wrestlers ever." Apparently the first half of the book is about the Schultz childhood, and their discovery and mastery of wrestling.

I cannot vouch personally for the book, as I have yet to get a copy, but I think this would make a great Christmas gift for any high school wrestler.... along with a subscription to Amateur Wrestling News.

Oh, and anyone who would like to get me a copy is more than welcome to do so - I'm not to proud to accept gifts. Think of it as a "Thank You" for all the past entertainment I provided on this board. Just sayin'. lol

PS Here is a link to a Dave Schultz video that Stevo kid posted on FB: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izd0NfW2g_Q

http://www.amazon.com/Foxcatcher-Brothers-Murder-Madness-Olympic/dp/0525955038

Might be time for a holiday road trip! What part of Charlotte is that theater, and is it called "Three Theaters?"

Big thank you shout out to rhino! Travelled to Charlotte yesterday to see the movie. Very dark - darker than I expected. Not a "Holiday cheer" type movie, but very good. I had trouble watching some parts - especially the murder. But watching Steve Carrell as John du Pont wrestler reminded me of my own competitive career.

Of the three theaters, two are about equal distance from Columbia. I don't have the names in front of me, but the one closest to Pineville is supposedly very new and nice. We went to the other theater which was a 50 year old Charlotte landmark that had been remodeled with stadium seating. Nice little theater. Regal's answer to Columbia's Nickelodeon apparently. Easy to get to from I-77.

I'm checking to see if there is a "Three Theaters" in the Greenville area.

Playing at Cherrydale on the 16th...

I asked the GM of Columbiana Grande how long the theater was planning on showing the movie. She replied that it would depend on sales, so if you are planning on going sooner would be better than later as it will be competing with "American Sniper" and some other big releases. Just an fyi...

Saw Foxcatcher last night. Its playing in Myrtle Beach. Did not disappoint. But even though I knew the ending it was still a shock. Props to Jesse Jantzen for the wrestling scenes, they were very real looking. It was good to see him and his brother Cory in the movie. Steve Carell was unreal so was Ruffalo. Channing was also good. They actually looked like they knew how to wrestle. Back to my props to Jesse Jantzen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT