ADVERTISEMENT

Uniforms

http://www.flowrestling.org/article...proved-for-high-school-wrestling#.WQj2CEn3aEd

Saw this on Flo yesterday. It has the potential to be impactful over the long haul. The way I read it is that the uniforms could be similar to what we see in some of the bigger off season tournaments like FloNationals.

Curious on others thoughts.

The only thing I don't like is the wording. They say the shorts must have a 4 inch inseam and then is says they must be above the knee. Are we going to have officials breaking out the tape measure before competitions?

I interested to see how this plays out in the long run with participation numbers. There has been a ton of speculation about increases because of a uniform change but I've never entirely bought it. I think the stigma around singlets has lessened with the rise of the UFC. I don't think it's a negative in anyway and really just gives more options. Can't hurt. That said, overwhelming plus for women's participation which of course is a net positive the wrestling community.

More interested in the new OB rules and the impact they have on nearfall. Seems like a half measure to not fully change to college out of bounds rules but a positive nonetheless.

Reactions: SButler
I am okay with it. Might help get football players out. They wear essentially the same thing in all their 7 on 7 events now.

I am okay with it. Might help get football players out. They wear essentially the same thing in all their 7 on 7 events now.
I agree with Kyle, the 7 on 7 uniforms are the same, if not less since half of those uniforms are sleeveless. The excuse I hear most from kids who do NOT come out for wrestling is the singlet. The results of the national coaches' survey overwhelmingly stated the singlet as the top reason coaches couldn't get kids out to wrestle.

I was under the impression that the straight-back salto was already illegal and had been for years.
I'm interested in clarification on the following rule:
Rule 4-5-3 now prohibits any activities that promote weight loss or weight gain when an athlete misses weight on his or her first attempt on the scale. In addition to activities that promote dehydration or drinking fluids to gain weight, the rule now prohibits activities such as cutting hair, modifying clothing, etc.

If the official tells a wrestler his hair is to long or he/she needs to shave they can no longer do this?
The executive director made a comment, "The committee also continued its commitment to reducing risk by making the straight-back salto and suplay illegal maneuvers, as well as prohibiting weight loss or gain in the weigh-in area. In addition, scoring a fall or near-fall is strengthened by the modifications to the definition and location of fall and near-fall in our rules book."
Does that mean if a wrestler misses weight he/she can go cut real quick outside the weigh-in area?

I was under the impression that the straight-back salto was already illegal and had been for years.
I'm interested in clarification on the following rule:
Rule 4-5-3 now prohibits any activities that promote weight loss or weight gain when an athlete misses weight on his or her first attempt on the scale. In addition to activities that promote dehydration or drinking fluids to gain weight, the rule now prohibits activities such as cutting hair, modifying clothing, etc.

If the official tells a wrestler his hair is to long or he/she needs to shave they can no longer do this?
The executive director made a comment, "The committee also continued its commitment to reducing risk by making the straight-back salto and suplay illegal maneuvers, as well as prohibiting weight loss or gain in the weigh-in area. In addition, scoring a fall or near-fall is strengthened by the modifications to the definition and location of fall and near-fall in our rules book."
Does that mean if a wrestler misses weight he/she can go cut real quick outside the weigh-in area?

Your two questions:
1. No. grooming is separate from making weight. Most of us check grooming but still allow weigh-in with a check back later for grooming compliance.
2. No. Once weigh-ins start, can't leave the weigh-in area.

Reactions: darth vomitus
Thank you for the clarification. I like the new back point rule. I don't think adopting the college out-of-bounds rule entirely would work for most schools because of mat size.

Also, I'm a long-time proponent of singlets, old fashioned I guess, and have argued on this board in the past against fight shorts, but I like the new uniform rule. Compression shorts being tighter than fight shorts alleviates my concerns for fingers getting wrapped up in clothing. And lets face it, compression shorts/shirts is really just a singlet that covers the chest and a little more arm. That said, a fat kid will still look like a fat kid wearing compression gear, and I suspect SOME of the kids who used the singlet as an excuse to not wrestle will still find an excuse not to wrestle. But if it does increase numbers that is a good thing. I think we are probably seeing the beginning of the end of singlets as I believe most coaches will switch as their budgets allow.

The rules apparently don't eliminate fight shorts/actually allows for them that fit criteria.

That changes my opinion, but with the rule in place everyone will go to fight shorts now as budgets allow. Guess the singlet will join the dinosaurs and Dodo birds in under a decade.

but not those 1970's basketball shorts that gaines wears officiating football - correct?

I think the entire Singlet effecting numbers/participation arguement is over blown. I have no issue with compression shirts and tops/Two piece singlets ..... but the fighter shorts I think will leave to much grey area. I just don't think it is going to have a significant effect on particioation.

SCHSL still has to approve correct?

Troy you almost always check grooming AFTER they make weight. So at that point the hair would not be a weight issue.
I think the entire Singlet effecting numbers/participation arguement is over blown. I have no issue with compression shirts and tops/Two piece singlets ..... but the fighter shorts I think will leave to much grey area. I just don't think it is going to have a significant effect on particioation.

SCHSL still has to approve correct?
SCHSL follows the NFHS

Troy you almost always check grooming AFTER they make weight. So at that point the hair would not be a weight issue.

SCHSL follows the NFHS

Guess I usually do check after they get off the scale. Sometimes before they get on but never deny the scale for grooming purposes. Either way, can't cut hair or underwear to make weight.

Guess I usually do check after they get off the scale. Sometimes before they get on but never deny the scale for grooming purposes. Either way, can't cut hair or underwear to make weight.
But can you cut a rug? Cut the cheese? Cut up some onions?

But can you cut a rug? Cut the cheese? Cut up some onions?

Cutting the rug would be illegal due to rapid weight loss technique in the weigh-in area, cutting cheese, while legal, would be rude but often happens, and really have never seen an onion as the choice of food for a wrestler

Reactions: countykid
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT