ADVERTISEMENT

Videoing other wrestlers that are not on your team

BuckkillerSC

Bench Warmer
Jan 29, 2015
Ok guys. Please only answer if you know the answer. Is it legal per HSL rules for a coach to give his wrestler his phone and set him down beside two ref's to video two wrestlers that his wrestler will face in the state tournament? what are the rules on this?

The only rule on video taping that I'm aware of is that the ref cannot make a decision from a video. Is it moral for two refs to break down film with a wrestler is another question. Not sure I would take a refs advice anyway.

The only rule on video taping that I'm aware of is that the ref cannot make a decision from a video. Is it moral for two refs to break down film with a wrestler is another question. Not sure I would take a refs advice anyway.

No, a coach sat his wrestler down beside a ref to video two wrestlers that his wrestler will be facing at the state tournament. The refs wasn't breaking down film with him. I dint think coaches could scout or video other wrestlers if they were not wrestling them.

I actually don't know the specifics. I know you can't video a dual meet your team is not wrestling in. I'm not sure on an individual tournament where there are multiple teams in which your team is one of them. I have not videod other wrestlers because I'm not sure of the rules. I have definitely watched and taken notes. I may stop that process too because it hasn't seemed to help us much.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
Page 20 section 4 of the bylaws says a school can't do it. There are a lot of pages to the handbook. Dang!!!

Section 4 Scouting - Photographic Equipment A. A school will not permit the use of photographic equipment or the use of pictures made with such equipment in scouting the athletic events of opponents except under the following circumstances: a. If the event is a regular season event and written permission is granted by all participating teams. b. If the event is a play-off event and written permission is obtained from all competing teams and the Commissioner. B. This section does not prohibit exchange of film or tape by coaches.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
Call them out Coach

Well, I'm not a coach and I don't want to do that on here. When I say my wrestler I mean my son. I just wanted to know if there was a rule on videoing other wrestlers other than your own (if you were a coach) and I did find it.

I believe the way the NFHS rules are, you can't videotape an opponent at an event to review for later in that same event. For example, I (or someone else) can't tape the other semifinal match in my bracket so I can scout my finals opponent. The NFHS also states in the rulebook that states can set their own rules- not sure what SC's are.

I believe the way the NFHS rules are, you can't videotape an opponent at an event to review for later in that same event. For example, I (or someone else) can't tape the other semifinal match in my bracket so I can scout my finals opponent. The NFHS also states in the rulebook that states can set their own rules- not sure what SC's are.

I'm pretty sure our high school sports follows the SCHSL rules handbook and not the NFHS. The rule is stated word for word in HSLarrys post above and was taken off the SCHSL website. the two coaches that allowed this to happen knows what they did. It's cheap and dishonest to the kids out there wrestling. What's even worse is the ref with the stripes on allowing it to happen right there beside him. The coaches that did this knows it was wrong and I'm sure videoed several matches throughout the day Saturday. If you videoed one, I'm sure you videoed two or three or even more. It would be easier to let it go if the coaches admitted it was done on purpose, apologized and not some other lame excuse because my video shows everything. It's time to cut the crap out and stop letting so much BS overshadow our sport. I'm sure many of you feel the same way. If you want to be better than your opponent, work harder in the wrestling room. Look for videos online that your apponent posts, that's what we do. But we never post anything online and trust that no one will violate the rule that protects the athletes. And if such rules are broken then there should be consequences.

And furthermore, don't put your wrestlers in the position of breaking the rules because then you're not teaching them anything. If you want to break the rules, have enough balls to do it yourself and don't stand in the background and watch.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT