ADVERTISEMENT

Walhalla

That is a slap in the faces of all the coaches in SC who have worked so hard to establish themselves and learn their craft. The AD and Principal at Walhalla should NEVER be allowed to hire another person!

You hire a FOOTBALL COACH who never works in the building??? REALLY???????
I could care less who they hire but this just ticks me off because I know several who DID interview that are hard workers and good coaches!

I guess a little league program needs a little league coach!

I've only followed high school football on this state since the late-80s/early 90s, but I can say with some pretty strong confidence that this is the worst hire I've ever heard of. Hiring a rec league "coach" to lead a AAA high school program?! Really?!! This thing wreaks of some sort of buddy system/inside job. And the nerve of this rec league "coach" to even apply!! I bet walhalla's opponents are laughing hysterically....as if they weren't already. Disservice to those kids & that community.

Walhalla's opponents laugh hysterically at them anyway lol. As a resident of Oconee Co, I'll be the first to say it's one of if not the most backwards county around. But this is a major head scratcher.

And if some how, some way (maybe he hires excellent coordinators and he himself, doesn't coach, just manges) he actually wins some games.....every football job that comes open will have 1,000 applicants who have never coached higher than rec level.

He brings money. That's all it's about he's rich. I heard he bought a team bus for his rec league and they rode that to the all games. I guess his money into the principle and ADs pockets prolly helped too.

I know walhalla isn't a great program but if the coaching vacancy comes back open down the line. No one will apply that is worthy of getting that job. You mind as well of slapped all the candidates that deserved it in the face.

I don't know how often the hs league does realignment. One thing to keep in mind is that the school district is closing Tamassee-Salem high and combining them with Walhalla next school year. If I'm not mistaken the extra 100-150 kids should push them over the mark to become a 4a school. Long story short, the new coach better figure out what he's gonna do before that happens.....if he's still there.

Reactions: ammonsw
I know walhalla isn't a great program but if the coaching vacancy comes back open down the line. No one will apply that is worthy of getting that job. You mind as well of slapped all the candidates that deserved it in the face.

This^ Coaches go through the process of getting their education and then usually a post grad. Then through certification and spend years as assistants away from their families on weeknights and Sundays breaking down film. Year around weight programs along with Spring Practice, 7 on 7s, lineman camps and all the things that go into being a coach. Driving all over the state on Thursday night because you also have to help with the JV and then make sure you have lesson plans done for class each day and teach. Washing uniforms, lining fields, cutting grass, helping kids through difficult times off the field, giving rides late into the night to young men that lack a support structure and that is nothing compared to coaching little league football and having money.

That school district basically just said that teaching our young men and putting in the time is of zero use to them. One poster said maybe he can put together a good staff..... really? What self respecting coach of any use would work in that situation? The Head Coach of a AAA and soon to be AAAA school after TS closes, will be the least knowledgeable coach on either sideline. There will be zero bonding during the day with the kids, because this coach will be running a business.

I hope when this comes open again, every coach will remember the value Walhalla put on their profession through this process.

He is going to support the entire athletic program financially! This reeks and it is IS the worst HIRE ever- no matter the wins and losses!

OK JB- what you think? If you do him right- he may come and rewire your house!

Reactions: BobcatVol
Guarantee that his proposal to completely fund the football program is the reason why he was hired. The school leaders who hired this "youth coach" should immediately be fired for this. This hire does not have your kids best interest at heart. How about Walhalla hiring the president of a company to be the principal and they can come to school just one day week. Absolutely pathetic.

He is going to support the entire athletic program financially! This reeks and it is IS the worst HIRE ever- no matter the wins and losses!

OK JB- what you think? If you do him right- he may come and rewire your house!
This is a bad hire for the sport in the state; there had to have been qualified men who DID go to school to teach and coach.

I have a science background and masters in Biomechanics and it ticks me off when I see other self-proclaimed sports performance guys with NO background training kids. So yes, I do think this was a bad hire. They need to rescind this offer and hire someone who has paid their dues in the profession.

Ive worked in Walhalla for the town for the past 15 years and to be honest, I dont know if there will be enough local out cry about this to get anything done. I do come across a few that care. But for the most part the citizens Ive personally dealt with around town are just resigned to the fact that Walhalla football will always be terrible. They'll have their years where they may beat Pickens, Liberty or even Pendleton. But they'll always get destroyed by the Senecas and Daniels of the world. Really the only 2 games that I ever see that town as whole get fired up for is when they play West Oak. Other then that they just automatically count the other games as L's. Overall Walhalla is a baseball, hunting and fishing town/area. And I just dont know if the locals care enough to get mad.

Pick up lots of trash, do you?
Ive worked in Walhalla for the town for the past 15 years and to be honest, I dont know if there will be enough local out cry about this to get anything done. I do come across a few that care. But for the most part the citizens Ive personally dealt with around town are just resigned to the fact that Walhalla football will always be terrible. They'll have their years where they may beat Pickens, Liberty or even Pendleton. But they'll always get destroyed by the Senecas and Daniels of the world. Really the only 2 games that I ever see that town as whole get fired up for is when they play West Oak. Other then that they just automatically count the other games as L's. Overall Walhalla is a baseball, hunting and fishing town/area. And I just dont know if the locals care enough to get mad.

This is an interesting hire. I started with the youth programs as I was in the US Air Force and loved coaching football and wrestling. I, when I retired was able to get on with a middle school team in Jacksonville. Expectations were low as it was a magnet school for prep schools. We couldn't do anything until I changed from a conventional offense to more of a passing offense. We scored 20 in one game against the league champion. If you know anything about Jacksonville (FL) football, the division we were in fed into Raines High School. It was great scoring 20 points as they hadn't scored in the past 3 years.

I worked my way up to the high school level working with the JV program at Robert E. Lee (OL) and then moving up to varsity (OL) (ST). I left the school and went to Baker County High School, after a year became the DC and STC. I then went to Bradford County working as Head Coach of the JV and worked with the OL on Varsity. I then went to Nassau County (OL) (LB).

I took off for a few years enrolling in college and will complete my degree soon but was HC of the middle school team in Bradford before moving to Goose Creek, SC. I've interviewed at many schools for the HC (Lee, Dillard, Bradford County, Englewood) and gained some great experience from it. Not having a degree killed me as one AD said as I would of had a job.

Where I am going with this is I started on the youth level and worked my way up. Going from youth to the high school level is a big jump, a very big one. He better bring not good but great assistants in and just manage the program. I personally feel this is not a good hire but one like LB says, "a slap in the face."

Unfortunately this is so true. They do not have the NUMBER of athletes to compete with with Daniel, Seneca, BHP and Wren. Like Vol said every now and then they can beat Pickens and Liberty. Just being real here. They don't have many kids of color that grow up in Walhalla SC, therefore they have no speed. This is why they focus on baseball.

With the new alignment if they stay in 3A they may be OK. But if these extra kids coming from T/S put them in 4A, it will be bad.

Between West-Oak and Walhalla that it where the Daniel's, Seneca, BHP and Wren get to exaderate their stats. I think BHP put over 600 yds of rushing against Walhalla this year. I bet BHP did not have 75 yds against Westside this year. See the difference.

HOW can a school board allow this guy to coach? MOST schools will NOT aloow an ADJUNCT to be a head coach of a major sport.

Somebody call the Mailman and ask him to apply at Seneca!

Reactions: BobcatVol
The real tragedy here is Walhalla got the wrong rec coach. Long before Johnson's "run" at Central rec, Glenn "Big E" Hughes had a far superior winning percentage to that of Johnson's at Central rec. I have no idea why Big E did not apply. He would have been a shoe in based on his record versus Johnson's record (which they had the guts to put the in the press release). I wonder what his rec league offensive stats were during his tenure. I am sure he kept them. #whenfoolsareincharge

TBowe

Reactions: red raider alum
I guess Big E did not have the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

:)

The real tragedy here is Walhalla got the wrong rec coach. Long before Johnson's "run" at Central rec, Glenn "Big E" Hughes had a far superior winning percentage to that of Johnson's at Central rec. I have no idea why Big E did not apply. He would have been a shoe in based on his record versus Johnson's record (which they had the guts to put the in the press release). I wonder what his rec league offensive stats were during his tenure. I am sure he kept them. #whenfoolsareincharge

TBowe

They hired a guy that doesn't have plays.....literally.
Yeah, but he does bring his own money to fund the program. For his interview he walked in with a powerpoint presentation with like 20 different combinations of uniforms that he would be buying for Walhalla to wear.

So if you don't have the plays of an Oregon, you might as well dress like them.

On his plays, he has formation, motion, action. He has hand signals for every single position group rather than just calling a play and everyone should know what to do. What a joke.

Reactions: red raider alum
BUT he is hiring his REC LEAGUE offensive and defensive coordinators! That will fix it.

How will those half time adjustments go??????

the proper word would be "year"..... not "years"......"...they may beat Pickens..."..... like when?.....Walhalla has beaten Pickens once since 1960..... can't speak for Liberty or Pendleton....

Walhalla is the new "Coastal Carolina"..... with the pending closure of T-S....I bet he is hoping they bring all of their "size and speed" to Hawgwaller.

the proper word would be "year"..... not "years"......"...they may beat Pickens..."..... like when?.....Walhalla has beaten Pickens once since 1960..... can't speak for Liberty or Pendleton....

Walhalla is the new "Coastal Carolina"..... with the pending closure of T-S....I bet he is hoping they bring all of their "size and speed" to Hawgwaller.
Proper or not years is what I meant so that's what I put. And I do apologize for not being up to date on the historic Walhalla-Pickens rivalry.

Sounds like a good ole boy hire of the first degree. Now granted, I am not really sure you could drop Bill Parcells in there and it would dramatically change their fortunes. So the principal made a business decision and hired a guy that apparently is willing to fund the football budget personally. But I do hate the fact that many guys have paid their dues and don't get a shot. But at the same time, I have seen some a couple youth league guys that would have been better hires than some of the hires I have seen made in Greenville County the last decade, or so.

Proper or not years is what I meant so that's what I put. And I do apologize for not being up to date on the historic Walhalla-Pickens rivalry.

Historic is correct.... it dates back to the 1920's..... back when Walhalla was competitive.....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT