ADVERTISEMENT

Walhalla

Walhalla is a very nice area and has a new high school and stadium.

Experienced coaches were not doing much.

Maybe he can win a few games here and there.

Cringeworthy, back to your Jan. 28 post. You must have coached in the old days. Your list is inaccurate: Coaches cutting and lining the field? - not anymore, most schools have field crews to do that. Laundry? - 15 coaches on a staff, divide it up and take 3 nights max. Take kids home? - some do, some won't. Ride to and from games with the team on the bus ? - a lot will not do that, they drive their own so they can go home quick. Teach? - most head coaches have no classes, maybe one. 2 a day practices and a full workday in August? - a thing of the distant past. Coaches of the 20th century did all these things. This century, not at all.

Um.... I've worked at multiple AAA and AAAA schools and every coach I know still lines fields - practice and/or game. Everywhere I've gone coaches still do laundry. Still wait for kids to get picked up, or take them home ourselves. Still fix broken helmets and usually wrap wrists and ankles...

Sure would like a job in whatever district YOU are from...

o_O

Reactions: CantThrowIt
I only know a handful of coaches that teach a half day. Almost all teach a full load. A lot of AD's teach at least a few classes.

I only know a handful of coaches that teach a half day. Almost all teach a full load. A lot of AD's teach at least a few classes.

And even those jobs are going away. If you can get a coaching job where you don't have to teach at least a little bit then you've hit the jackpot.

Think about the only coaching gigs where the coach doesn't teach are the bigger programs, especially one where the coach is also the AD

Cringeworthy, back to your Jan. 28 post. You must have coached in the old days. Your list is inaccurate: Coaches cutting and lining the field? - not anymore, most schools have field crews to do that. Laundry? - 15 coaches on a staff, divide it up and take 3 nights max. Take kids home? - some do, some won't. Ride to and from games with the team on the bus ? - a lot will not do that, they drive their own so they can go home quick. Teach? - most head coaches have no classes, maybe one. 2 a day practices and a full workday in August? - a thing of the distant past. Coaches of the 20th century did all these things. This century, not at all.

This is not exactly accurate. At bigger schools, it probably is spot on. The smaller the school the more coaches have to do. Field, Laundry, take kids home, ride the bud(one coach has to drive in case of a player being taken to the hospital.), teach. Again the size of the school matters a lot.

Many 4A and 5A schools continue to paint, wash, etc!

This is not exactly accurate. At bigger schools, it probably is spot on. The smaller the school the more coaches have to do. Field, Laundry, take kids home, ride the bud(one coach has to drive in case of a player being taken to the hospital.), teach. Again the size of the school matters a lot.

No idea- but Walhalla had hired plenty of experienced head coaches and didn't get anywhere with any of them.

They decided to go outside the box a little for once. It was worth trying.

They are up on West Oak 27-7 tonight. West Oak isn't any good but with all those experienced coaches in the past Walhalla and West Oak would be battling it out to see who could score 14 points first to win the game.

I think they were willing to try anything different.

So, maybe he produce the same results as the other coaches before him?

Their new school is beautiful, in a beautiful area.

WHS4.jpg

Many 4A and 5A schools continue to paint, wash, etc![/QU

I don't know how often the hs league does realignment. One thing to keep in mind is that the school district is closing Tamassee-Salem high and combining them with Walhalla next school year. If I'm not mistaken the extra 100-150 kids should push them over the mark to become a 4a school. Long story short, the new coach better figure out what he's gonna do before that happens.....if he's still there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT