ADVERTISEMENT

2015 SCVarsity All State Combine

Neilgrimsley

Bench Warmer
Gold Member
Apr 21, 2013
JB .. what was the fastest time in the 40 yd dash in the rain today? I know you don't have everything in a database yet, but just curious. My son Michael has been working on his speed and ran the only sub 4.5 sec 40's I heard announced.(doesn't mean I didn't miss some) He ran a 4.49 and a 4.45 in the pouring rain ... slipped on his start. He had a good combine, just wish I didn't have to pull him away before the 1 on 1's ... Thanks for another great combine.
I look forward to your posting of the top scores. Especially looking forward to the new testing system you used on the class 2016. The running of the 20 yd dash with 10 yd split for linemen looked good, and makes more sense. Just a suggestion, measuring the splits in the 40 would be a good tool to let the kids know where they need to work. We do this with Michael's speed coach. I know there is a time constraint that might not allow it .. just a thought.

4.37 I belueve, same kid ran 4.42 I believe. I would love to discuss my impression of the combine and suggest a change or 2.

4.37 I believe, same kid ran 4.42 I believe. I would love to discuss my impression of the combine and suggest a change or 2.
A 4.37 is wicked fast in that cold (sub 60') and rain. The fastest times I saw were early, before the steady rains came. I stood for 3+ hours in the rain and never saw a sub 4.5 sec 40. other than Michael's two. Michael ran both of his in the pouring rain. Was the 4.37 an underclassman? They were running when we had to leave, and the rains had almost stopped ... no matter when it was run .. That's fast! Congrats to whomever ran it.

What was the best time for the big lineman in their 10/20 dash ..... my son had a 1.9 and weighed in at 314lbs

What was the best time for the big lineman in their 10/20 dash ..... my son had a 1.9 and weighed in at 314lbs
That sounds like his 10 yard split ... normally the slowest part of your 20/40 .. If that was a 20 yrd time .. he in theory would run sub 4 sec 40's ... I only saw them timing the 10 yrd split .. never saw linemen run the 20 ... And a 1.9 is not a bad time for a 314# lineman ... congrats to him

Reactions: YAWHOOOS2
Was a great combine, for the most part. Lots and lots of kids, lots of great competition in the 1-on-1's.

Very effecient in getting them in and out of the weigh-ins, heights, weights, etc. and over to the field for times and 1-on-1's. Great facilities for hosting and centrally located in the state for people to make it in. Ended earlier than scheduled but everyone seemed to be ok with that.

Use of scoreboard to watch some of the competition/competitors was a nice touch!

Negatives heard from spectators:
- Too many kids, hard to evaluate when there are 35 RBs trying to go through. Meat market, cash cow, other comments.
- Coaches couldn't seem to operate stopwatches - time and time and time again, the kids had to be stopped after starting a 40 or shuttle because the clock (or operator?) wasn't working. Witnessed this myself over a dozen times.
- Wet conditions, slipping on timed events and 1-on-1's (nothing could be done about that, but folks were still complaining)
- Language in the music playing during the field stuff - lots of "F" bombs and other colorful language.
- Parents and coaches were told in packet that lots of college coaches had been invited; none seen (again, not sure this was in JB's power, but folks were still complaining)

Again, as far as a COMBINE goes, I thought it was well run and very timely. I think exposing the players to other people competing in their positions is invaluable to show players what they need to improve on, and what they are up against when competing for scholarships and college coaches' attention. Measuring yourself against your teammates or even your Region competition doesn't always give you a real picture of the talent you are up against.

And talent is the key word here. There was a buffett of talent out on that field for people to watch.

Good job, JB. Keep up the good work.

I thought the main reason for this combine was to get kids exposure to college coaches ....... and now I hear there were NONE there ...... okay I am a little pissed now and feel like my son after giving everything he had has been let down ..... I am not even going to tell him there were no coaches there

I thought the main reason for this combine was to get kids exposure to college coaches ....... and now I hear there were NONE there ...... okay I am a little pissed now and feel like my son after giving everything he had has been let down ..... I am not even going to tell him there were no coaches there

You may want to talk to me about college coaches before you get "pissed" about another parents incorrect speculation or assumptions.

I would talk to JB about whether there were college coaches there or not... that statement was merely posting the complaints in the bleachers.

He was all over the place and would have a much better assessment of how many came out in the rain to watch the workouts.

Reactions: YAWHOOOS2
JB .. what was the fastest time in the 40 yd dash in the rain today? I know you don't have everything in a database yet, but just curious. My son Michael has been working on his speed and ran the only sub 4.5 sec 40's I heard announced.(doesn't mean I didn't miss some) He ran a 4.49 and a 4.45 in the pouring rain ... slipped on his start. He had a good combine, just wish I didn't have to pull him away before the 1 on 1's ... Thanks for another great combine.
I look forward to your posting of the top scores. Especially looking forward to the new testing system you used on the class 2016. The running of the 20 yd dash with 10 yd split for linemen looked good, and makes more sense. Just a suggestion, measuring the splits in the 40 would be a good tool to let the kids know where they need to work. We do this with Michael's speed coach. I know there is a time constraint that might not allow it .. just a thought.
Fastest 40 was a 4.38 and was legit. Have seen the same kid run it before.

As for split on 40, I do that when "training" kids but not in a combine. Combines are for testing and evaluation in skills.

Training is for assessment and instruction and skills refinement. As I said, we do that when training kids at our facility but not the combine setting

1 on 1's need better rules and structure. No way a kid should get 8 or 9 more reps than other, because the coaches allowed them to cut. They should have a set amount of reps for each athlete. There is no way you could have scored that event fairly, with reps varied from 2 to 10 depending on how many times a kid cut the line.

1 on 1's need better rules and structure. No way a kid should get 8 or 9 more reps than other, because the coaches allowed them to cut. They should have a set amount of reps for each athlete. There is no way you could have scored that event fairly, with reps varied from 2 to 10 depending on how many times a kid cut the line.
We try to monitor reps through the first 30 minutes but I can assure you that there are kids who "allow" a guy to cut because they don't like their match up or don't want their rep.

Reactions: 50Center
That red-headed dude could fly....

Also, JB... please explain the "vertical". We had kids getting 7", 11" and 20" on their sheets. How exactly did y'all compute verticals? The sticks were never adjusted for height as the kids came through.

Might just have been a new way I've never seen used.

That red-headed dude could fly....

Also, JB... please explain the "vertical". We had kids getting 7", 11" and 20" on their sheets. How exactly did y'all compute verticals? The sticks were never adjusted for height as the kids came through.

Might just have been a new way I've never seen used.
To move it quicker, we were getting reach at a different station. What you're referring to was the number of inches ABOVE what the Vert was set on, say 8-feet-6 inches; we add that and subtract the reach; that's how we were able to get 300 kids through three vert stations so quickly.

JB,
Keep doing what you are doing. I know my son wouldn't be where he is without SCVarsity. Good luck to all the athletes this summer as they work towards competing in the fall.

Reactions: red raider alum
Was a great combine, for the most part. Lots and lots of kids, lots of great competition in the 1-on-1's.

Very effecient in getting them in and out of the weigh-ins, heights, weights, etc. and over to the field for times and 1-on-1's. Great facilities for hosting and centrally located in the state for people to make it in. Ended earlier than scheduled but everyone seemed to be ok with that.

Use of scoreboard to watch some of the competition/competitors was a nice touch!

- Too many kids, hard to evaluate when there are 35 RBs trying to go through. Meat market, cash cow, other comments.
- Coaches couldn't seem to operate stopwatches - time and time and time again, the kids had to be stopped after starting a 40 or shuttle because the clock (or operator?) wasn't working. Witnessed this myself over a dozen times.
- Wet conditions, slipping on timed events and 1-on-1's (nothing could be done about that, but folks were still complaining)
- Language in the music playing during the field stuff - lots of "F" bombs and other colorful language.
- Parents and coaches were told in packet that lots of college coaches had been invited; none seen (again, not sure this was in JB's power, but folks were still complaining)

Again, as far as a COMBINE goes, I thought it was well run and very timely. I think exposing the players to other people competing in their positions is invaluable to show players what they need to improve on, and what they are up against when competing for scholarships and college coaches' attention. Measuring yourself against your teammates or even your Region competition doesn't always give you a real picture of the talent you are up against.

And talent is the key word here. There was a buffett of talent out on that field for people to watch.

Good job, JB. Keep up the good work.

I wanted to wait until I got back to my desk to reply to this particular message and address the "negatives" that you heard in the stand. I'll address each one separately:

RESPONSE: Evaluation is done by two coaches at each position during skills: so if there are 35 running backs, that is basically a 1 to 18 ratio; when we go to one-on-one's, there are actually five sets of eyeballs on the kids, who are getting reps one at the time.. It is actually pretty easy to evaluate the kids. I'll address the "cash cow" comment last.

RESPONSE: There was a problem after about an hour with the watches getting wet - one of the reasons we didn't laser. But we brought fresh watches in and I assure you the times did not suffer because of that issue.

RESPONSE: Slipping is going to occur regardless of surface; if you've been to many combines you will know that. I've worked combines since Nike started them for the high school level and there has always been slipping. Keep in mind, slipping in the shuttle is more because of lack of body control in transition than conditions on the field. That field with new turf, despite the rain, was very good.

RESPONSE: I will guarantee you there was no explicit language in the disc I instructed the booth staff to play; I created the play list myself and would be glad to share it with anyone. I will say that at one point prior to the dynamic warm ups, the both staff, who were students in the media program at BC, put a disc in that was not mine but when I heard it, I went to the booth myself and told them to ONLY play the disc I gave them. That said, I didn't hear the "f" bomb on their disc either. I did hear a song that kept using the word "funk" and it sounded like that and I wasn't happy about it, which is when I went to the booth.

RESPONSE: We originally had 12 DII schools RSVP; I can tell you that only four showed up but there were members of four staffs there and they each had a roster that we had made for them. That said, we are the ONLY combine event that I know of that films with three video cameras to a feed that any coach can sign in and watch for free (private stream). I did this so that the Division I coaches could watch since NCAA won't let them attend and can tell you that there were coaches from 11 different Division I schools, including all of the in-state schools, logged in and watching.

NOW, to address the "cash cow" comment. If anyone in the stands or out there thinks they can operate the same type of event at 30.00 per kid and call it a cash cow, they are absolutely clueless at what it takes to put on this event. We don't have a shoe box company paying for those shirts - WE pay for them. Our coaching staff is NOT volunteer - WE pay them. That beautiful facility is not free - WE pay the fee. Insurance is not free - WE pay that bill. The printed cards that the 300+ kids had? WE pay for that. The hospitality room for the coaches (college and all-star)? WE pay for that. Now, run the numbers and tell me if you still think we are running a cash cow operation.

CASH COW operations are the one's who are charging 80, 100, and even more to these kids and then the kids getting NOTHING except a fancy dry fit shirt - or worse yet, one company still gives T-shirts. The kids get ZERO exposure. I can guarantee you the data from those events are NOT solicited from any recruiters, as are the SCVarsity results. The reason? WE have built credibility with the coaches over the past 18 years. And as far as kids getting exposure on the "other" event websites? The only people visiting those sites are the parents of the kids in the event.

Guess that's about all I have to say on those topics unless anyone has questions.

Reactions: red raider alum
To move it quicker, we were getting reach at a different station. What you're referring to was the number of inches ABOVE what the Vert was set on, say 8-feet-6 inches; we add that and subtract the reach; that's how we were able to get 300 kids through three vert stations so quickly.
So if kids that got a 15 and one who got a 16 ... the 15 could be a higher vert due to the player having a shorter reach... It makes it more confusing to the kids and parents to sort out unless you post the real numbers of all the kids ... My son got a 15" .. but we don't know what that means in real life. Can you help clarify?

So if kids that got a 15 and one who got a 16 ... the 15 could be a higher vert due to the player having a shorter reach... It makes it more confusing to the kids and parents to sort out unless you post the real numbers of all the kids ... My son got a 15" .. but we don't know what that means in real life. Can you help clarify?
The real numbers are going to be posted; those numbers were for STAFF to see. The kids were even told he would be calculating the vertical jump.

i had the same questions about the Vertical hight. Then I walked over to get my son something from his bag and saw them taking the reach measurment against the wall behind the bleachers. Made sense then.

I wanted to wait until I got back to my desk to reply to this particular message and address the "negatives" that you heard in the stand. I'll address each one separately:

RESPONSE: Evaluation is done by two coaches at each position during skills: so if there are 35 running backs, that is basically a 1 to 18 ratio; when we go to one-on-one's, there are actually five sets of eyeballs on the kids, who are getting reps one at the time.. It is actually pretty easy to evaluate the kids. I'll address the "cash cow" comment last.

RESPONSE: There was a problem after about an hour with the watches getting wet - one of the reasons we didn't laser. But we brought fresh watches in and I assure you the times did not suffer because of that issue.

RESPONSE: Slipping is going to occur regardless of surface; if you've been to many combines you will know that. I've worked combines since Nike started them for the high school level and there has always been slipping. Keep in mind, slipping in the shuttle is more because of lack of body control in transition than conditions on the field. That field with new turf, despite the rain, was very good.

RESPONSE: I will guarantee you there was no explicit language in the disc I instructed the booth staff to play; I created the play list myself and would be glad to share it with anyone. I will say that at one point prior to the dynamic warm ups, the both staff, who were students in the media program at BC, put a disc in that was not mine but when I heard it, I went to the booth myself and told them to ONLY play the disc I gave them. That said, I didn't hear the "f" bomb on their disc either. I did hear a song that kept using the word "funk" and it sounded like that and I wasn't happy about it, which is when I went to the booth.

RESPONSE: We originally had 12 DII schools RSVP; I can tell you that only four showed up but there were members of four staffs there and they each had a roster that we had made for them. That said, we are the ONLY combine event that I know of that films with three video cameras to a feed that any coach can sign in and watch for free (private stream). I did this so that the Division I coaches could watch since NCAA won't let them attend and can tell you that there were coaches from 11 different Division I schools, including all of the in-state schools, logged in and watching.

NOW, to address the "cash cow" comment. If anyone in the stands or out there thinks they can operate the same type of event at 30.00 per kid and call it a cash cow, they are absolutely clueless at what it takes to put on this event. We don't have a shoe box company paying for those shirts - WE pay for them. Our coaching staff is NOT volunteer - WE pay them. That beautiful facility is not free - WE pay the fee. Insurance is not free - WE pay that bill. The printed cards that the 300+ kids had? WE pay for that. The hospitality room for the coaches (college and all-star)? WE pay for that. Now, run the numbers and tell me if you still think we are running a cash cow operation.

CASH COW operations are the one's who are charging 80, 100, and even more to these kids and then the kids getting NOTHING except a fancy dry fit shirt - or worse yet, one company still gives T-shirts. The kids get ZERO exposure. I can guarantee you the data from those events are NOT solicited from any recruiters, as are the SCVarsity results. The reason? WE have built credibility with the coaches over the past 18 years. And as far as kids getting exposure on the "other" event websites? The only people visiting those sites are the parents of the kids in the event.

Guess that's about all I have to say on those topics unless anyone has questions.

Sounds like solid responses to me.

4.45. That's fast! What were his stats from last year? Who is looking at him now?

I think the NO COLLEGE COACHES THERE comments may be a but premature. I have a dear friend who is a college coach...and when he goes to combines, he does his BEST to fly WAY under the radar. If he was all decked out in his college stuff, he would NEVER be able to sit and watch what he wants to see without intereuptions!

Of the combines in the state, this is one of the best run. I can tell you first hand that JB cares about the kids and takes time to talk to them on a personal level. There were more visible scouts last year when there wasn't bad weather, I'm sure JB prayed for no rain. He can't stop God's will on that point. My son slipped too and got a bad time on one event. If his college career is based on that slip then he didn't have much of a chance to begin with. He still enjoyed it and had fun in a competitive event where he gets to see talent not normally seen during the season and gets to know where is stands among talent outside his conference.

JB,
Haters going to hate and folks are quick to tear people down these days. Keep doing what you're doing for the kids, most of us appreciate you and your staff at scvarsity. God bless!

4.45. That's fast! What were his stats from last year? Who is looking at him now?
He got limited snaps as backup to a sr back last season. It was a character builder for him as he felt he deserved more time. He averaged 7+ypc when in. He is the feature back this coming season.
He is a legitimate low 4.4 sec runner and has run 4.3's when all conditions favor (low of 4.34). He's strong (320# bench) has a 36.5 verified vert .. Squats 430# .. has run 4,02 verified shuttles both directions ....... a good athlete ( and a heck of a gymnast) and will play at the next level ... a matter of where. He has had D3 offers since Freshman year and has quite a few D1-AA's looking hard. Most notable are Coastal Carolina, Furman, App State, Savannah State ... He is on the radar with some of the D1-A schools but without a spectacular Sr season are not realistic. He visited Auburn and Georgia at the coaches request last offseason, but doesn't like the big schools. He would love to play for Clemson, but with their full running back roster, knows it's not a good fit. He's a great kid both on the field and in the classroom. He's an honors student, with a 4.1 GPA .. a member of the National Beta Society. As you can tell, I'm proud of the young man he has become. He wants to be an Electrical Engineer like me, Thanks for asking. Sorry I rambled on, when you asked a simple question.

My son enjoyed every minute of the combine. Rain or Shine. He loves to compete and wants to improve himself. There is no other combine in the state of SC that has the best of the best. He was able to identify his strengths and weaknesses. He can now go back to his training and work harder to improve. If your son has the talent to take him to the next level, Colleges will find out about him. JIm, great combine!!!

Reactions: taterman67
JB ... when/how will we get the results from the InBody 520 ... it will be interesting to see what areas it will hi-lite .. I've never seen it used before. Thanks again for another good combine.

He got limited snaps as backup to a sr back last season. It was a character builder for him as he felt he deserved more time. He averaged 7+ypc when in. He is the feature back this coming season.
He is a legitimate low 4.4 sec runner and has run 4.3's when all conditions favor (low of 4.34). He's strong (320# bench) has a 36.5 verified vert .. Squats 430# .. has run 4,02 verified shuttles both directions ....... a good athlete ( and a heck of a gymnast) and will play at the next level ... a matter of where. He has had D3 offers since Freshman year and has quite a few D1-AA's looking hard. Most notable are Coastal Carolina, Furman, App State, Savannah State ... He is on the radar with some of the D1-A schools but without a spectacular Sr season are not realistic. He visited Auburn and Georgia at the coaches request last offseason, but doesn't like the big schools. He would love to play for Clemson, but with their full running back roster, knows it's not a good fit. He's a great kid both on the field and in the classroom. He's an honors student, with a 4.1 GPA .. a member of the National Beta Society. As you can tell, I'm proud of the young man he has become. He wants to be an Electrical Engineer like me, Thanks for asking. Sorry I rambled on, when you asked a simple question.
Coastal has a good engineering program, my son has similier grades. He is a late bloomer on size and play wr. He can catch as good as any of the top guys, he just needs to grow some more.

Both Fu
Coastal has a good engineering program, my son has similier grades. He is a late bloomer on size and play wr. He can catch as good as any of the top guys, he just needs to grow some more.
Both Furman and Coastal have a 3/2 program with Clemson and I think GT ... he will do 3 yrs at the first school and 2 at at the other to finish his engineering degree.. once finished he will two degrees ... In a perfect world, he would red shirt his first year and have two years at each school. Would give him time to prove he can play D1-A or not. And he would be close to home. What size is your son? Tabari Hines that signed with Wake Forest in Jan ... is 5'8" and maybe 150# ... he has skills and heart .. don't let your son give up on his dreams.

Both Fu

Both Furman and Coastal have a 3/2 program with Clemson and I think GT ... he will do 3 yrs at the first school and 2 at at the other to finish his engineering degree.. once finished he will two degrees ... In a perfect world, he would red shirt his first year and have two years at each school. Would give him time to prove he can play D1-A or not. And he would be close to home. What size is your son? Tabari Hines that signed with Wake Forest in Jan ... is 5'8" and maybe 150# ... he has skills and heart .. don't let your son give up on his dreams.
They are silmiler size currently, I think he will be a little bigger than that. I just hope his team can throw a forward pass this season.

Reactions: Neilgrimsley
JB ... when/how will we get the results from the InBody 520 ... it will be interesting to see what areas it will hi-lite .. I've never seen it used before. Thanks again for another good combine.
I am in the process of going through all of the results; what was his number and I'll pull his for you off of my spreadsheet.

I am in the process of going through all of the results; what was his number and I'll pull his for you off of my spreadsheet.
Is there a grading system with the InBody 520 that allows a fair comparison between athletes? Or is just a personal measurement that means nothing to others? I guess I'm asking if there is a Top Ten in the InBody 520 measurements ...

Is there a grading system with the InBody 520 that allows a fair comparison between athletes? Or is just a personal measurement that means nothing to others? I guess I'm asking if there is a Top Ten in the InBody 520 measurements ...
No, it is purely an individual measurement. But the data provides good research material for complete body composition related to performance.
#277 .. Michael Grimsley .. thanks

I just sent you an email if you want to call and go over Michael's results.

Just my two cent about the cash cow...Of all events out there this is not one.This is probably the one event that is for the kids and TRIES to do what is best for the kids. JB is right there are "COMBINES" that charge 80-150 that are CASH COWS. Simple math 300 times 30 is 9000, On the cheap end 300 shirts at 5 a pop is 1500 and then like he said insurance and other misc items NOOO its not a cash cow. Can it look unorganized YES but I have seen UNORGANIZED and SC Varsity IS NOT one of these...My two cent is continue what you are doing those that have seen things know better...You are always going to have unhappy people. Let them go donate 150 to the meat combines. Doesn't Matter if you had 1 Division II school or 20 I don't think I ever seen them any where else only at SCV...Just keep doing what you do JB you have the kids best interest at heart. Just my opinion...And I don't always agree with certain things JB post/writes but in the end if you look at what he does its a lot more then what these so call other experts do

No, it is purely an individual measurement. But the data provides good research material for complete body composition related to performance.

I just sent you an email if you want to call and go over Michael's results.
What's a good time to call you?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT