ADVERTISEMENT

3A State championships. Eastside vs Hartsville

theruler02

Bench Warmer
May 19, 2003
The top 2 teams squaring off. This game is about matchups, Keil Sherman from Eastside vs Jaylen Shaw from Hartsville and Mcgowan from Eastside vs Washington from Hartsville , Can Eastside handle Hartville def? or can Hartsville matchup with Eastside Height? Hartsville have the experience while Eastside is way more battlestested. This is a tough one call

Think the speed and type of game hartsville plays ultimately decides games. How deep eastside is at gurad position? If the other guards besides sherman are just so-so then thats going to be a problem. Thats pressing and organized confusion can cause problems in high school bball. I think if eastside coach is willing to let mcgowan run pg just to get ball in front court, that will help a lot to take pressure off his guards. Plus u have a situation where u have decent ball handler in open space being guarded by a 4/5 man...advantage decent ball handler.
This post was edited on 2/25 8:05 AM by KG (Lan)

Eastside guard play is so-so and that includes Sherman. They didnt handle Daniels pressure well at all and came up a missed call away from loosing on Saturday.(McGowan traveled when he caught a cramp and the refs gave them an timeout). Should be a good game through 2 and half quaters but Hartsville will win this one by 10 or more.

I thought that McGowans traveled too. He hopped on one leg twice and called timeout as he was falling. The referee got caught watching the game. McGowans didn't play well in this game but hit the big free throws when it mattered. I haven't seen Hartsville play but as a coach that had the privilege to coach three years in a row in a state game in the Colonial Center, Hartsville will have an advantage by playing on that stage before and they handled Southside pretty easy. Although Southside didn't have the height that Eastside has, their guards were very athletic and in this area I think Eastside has the disadvantage because after Owens and Sherman there is a drop off at guard. Should be an interesting game nonetheless.

I think the boys Class AAA state championship was played at the Florence Civic Center this past weekend. Get ready for pressure, pressure, pressure and you've gotta have good ball handling to even have a chance. Height can always be overcomed, I've seen plenty of tall teams get beat by a smaller team with lots of speed.

I think you guys are spot on.

Eastside's guard play can't handle the pressure, IMO they struggled with Lower Richlands pressure.

Hartsville by 10 or more.

Eastside struggled against Lower Richland's pressure and won by 16? Interesting.

Hartsville is the defending state champ, and so is understandably being viewed as the favorite. But for HoopReality to talk about Keil Sherman's play at guard being suspect is hilarious.

The kid has gone off for 27 and 31 points in the last couple of playoff games, and has played disciplined.

McGowans had one of the worst games of his career in the Bi-Lo Center on Saturday... he'll be ready to play in Columbia.

As for Eastside coming a call away from losing, I guess you guys missed the ten or so times McGowans got absolutely hacked down low with no call. Eastside was better, even playing an awful game.

I won't venture a guess on the game, but give credit where credit is due.

I never said the kid was suspect he's average (so-so) i think he can shoot it with the best of them if you give him enough space. But his ballhandling is very suspect under pressure, he cant really create a shot for himself in the mid-range game nor create enough shots for his teamates to be considered a stud. I like him he's a good kid, but i dont think his game is what you think it is thats all. Not dissing the kid at all just talking basketball dont be so sensitive. And by the way im not a Daniel or Eastside fan just gave my opinion about what i saw in saturdays game as a basketball fan.

how can someone say the state championship was played at the florence civic center sate hartsville maybe but darlington gimme a break, if darlington played in the upper state they prob wont make it past the 2nd round, i watch the lower state game on sat and wasnt impressed hartville rely way to much on shaw and by the way it look like shaw got away with a walk on the game winning shot to, and seriously i wasnt that impressed with either team hartsville and darlington had alot of turnovers and missed easy layups they both look outta control, the upper state game looked a lil better structured and ppl keep talking bout hartsville pressure if darlington can handle it with their sloppy play then eastside should have no problem, but eastside scoring is more versatile than hartville , shaw lead them n scoring almost every game where eastside mcgowan may lead them n scoring sometimes sherman and even wesley, the only disadvantage is that eastside is sometimes inconsistent teams they should blow out they struggle to beat, but the last month or so they have seem to turn the corner, but it should be a interesting game sat

I also think the STATE CHAPIONSHIP was played Saturday night in florence. Just as in football this past season. Best 2 teams from lower state. Darlington has a very good team (2nd best in 3a). If Darlington couldnt make it out the 2nd round in the upperstate then Eastside should win by 15 atleast right? Hartsville does expect alot out of Shaw but rightfully so. He is one of the best players in the state and the best Hville has. Hartsville will play hard full court D. With Shaw running the Point and big man Washington down low it makes it hard for any team to beat them.5"6 #3 Jackson is like a firecracker also. He will be in the guards face all night. Red Foxes 78-65. The best ball in 3a is played in DARLINGTON COUNTY!!

When comparing Eastside and LR, Darlington beat LR earlier this year by 14 I think, so your point on that in invalid. Be ready Eastside, that's all I've gotta say.

@clemsontyger04 were you at the game? If you were you would have seen Keil Sherman play out of control and turn the ball over, I would also count his reckless 3 attempts as suspect. The kid has talent don't get me wrong, he has amazing speed/quickness and he makes some big shots, he just doesn't understand how to play the game yet.

Also, the game got out of hand with LR fouling leading to freethrows and LR going down trying to make miracle shots, they also subbed at the end. So yes, it was interesting 16 points means nothing.

Points don't always tell the whole story....

Yall cant be serious with Darlington. Ill give Hartsville credit defending state champs only have 1 loss they deserve it but please, if u swap teams and conferences put darlington in peach blossom and take out prob travelers rest or blue ridge, playing Eastside, Southside, Greer and Berea before they lost there top 3 scorers they will get slaughtered, Darlington stay getting blowed out crestwood is not even that good and they beat them by like 26 points and scored 94 points on them what u think eastside would do to Darlington then, crestwood would barely score half that on the top teams in Peach Blossom, I wish they wouldve made it to state so i can see them get expose like they did 2 years ago when Wade Hampton literally beat there brains out, Darlington fans was in shocked like they saw a ghost in the colonial center

Yall cats kill me with the thinking that Upper State is King. & I'm a Upper State dude! I give Darlington mad respect. Anything can happen on any given night. Remember Hartsville is still the Champion. Once again I'm from the upper state.

Darlington has been in the lower state championship three out of the last four years, and state once, good coaching and athletes. Sounds like they're doing something right. I can recall Darlington beating Daniel a few years ago in a Christmas tournament game. Sounds like they've been one of the more dominant teams in 3A over the last four to five years. Six out of the top ten teams in last SCBCA poll were lower state teams.

There are good basketball teams all over this state. Darlington and Hartsville are two of them.

I just think it's laughable that some in this thread laugh off Eastside in this game vs. Hartsville.

Eastside has faced athletic teams before, including Hillcrest, Millbrook, and Effingham County, and was in position to win all three games.

Hartsville is good, and the defending champs, so I cannot fault someone for calling for a Hartsville victory; but I'd think twice before writing off an Eastside team this loaded.

I've seen Darlington 3 times this year, they do not have anything close to hartsville or eastside when it comes to talent.

But they play hard...and their coaches get the most out of their kids.

Hartsville is the real deal but just because there in Darlington county dont mean darlington is that great, Explain how darlington county has the best basketball and its just 2 schools, in my opinion its Greenville county which has the most schools in the state by county by far and top to bottom the best talent, Hillcrest #2 in state 4a, Wade Hampton who was solid in 4a this year, and 3a you have Eastside (#1 in state) , Southside, Greer, Travelers Rest and if Berea didnt lose there top 3 scorers in the middle of the season, they wouldve been a top 10 team, or the columbia area schools Richland county, with Keenan, LR, Spring Valley Flora,Ridge View and Richland North East, i could even say lexington county but all they really have is Irmo and Lexington, those areas are very dominent in basketball but darlington dont qualify with just 2 schools even if one of them won state last year and have a good chance of winning this sat as well.

Best County as far as 3a Basketball!! Darlington County. Hartsville Red Foxes and Darlington Falcons. Lamar is also in our county so Darlington County has 3 high schools but Lamar being 1a. The last 3 years a team from Darlington County has won the lower state in 3a. Can you give me a better 3a county than that?

guessing they are saying same could be said for greenville county in the upperstate? thats like saying Chester county is best county for 1A basketball ie. Great falls won championship last year and have been (well basically every year) and Lewisville will be in 1A championship this year..lol

And 3 different schools from Greenville have won upperstate the last 3 and 4 of the last 5, what im saying is Hartsville may be the best team in the state and Darlington may be top 10 but its at least 3 3a schools in Greenville that can beat Darlington and a few more who can give them a good game, top to bottom Greenville all the way

This post was edited on 3/1 5:56 AM by theruler02

Greenville County is huge Peach Blossom 3A conference is mostly if not all Greenville....Darlington County has 3 High Schools. Of course Greenville will have many more good teams because its bigger. Wade Hampton SouthSide & Eastside in last 3 state 3A chip games...years before Greenville HS plyed in a lot as well. For as small as Darlington County is having the last 3 lower state 3A champs is pretty good for that small of county is the point....

Good point. A good deal for the county. I remember when Clinton and Laurens both won state titles in football in the same year early 80s, I think the only two schools in the county thoughThronwell was operating at the time. Woodruff and Ware Shoals, both very nearby, may have done it same year. I remember reading a newspaper article about it. - Anywhere else?

final predicition if the game is low scoring in the 50s it favor hartville but if its high scoring eastisde all the way, i dont have a dog in either team although im from defintely not a eastside fan but i will like eagles to show the ppl in hartsville and south carolina that the upstate is for real. Final predicition eastside wins 63 to 58

@theruler2, I've only seen Eastside once, but I'm thinking the opposite.

If its a possession game, its in favor of Eastside. Hartsville wants to speed it up, they have scored 70+ points all year long.

I think Hartsville wins by 10+

Undoubtedly, it's a matter of whose tempo wins... Eastside likes uptempo to an extent, but can't sustain what Hartsville wants.

Hartsville, on the flip side, can't afford for Eastside to slow the game down at all-- they don't have the size to handle Eastside's frontcourt.

Ultimately, boils down to turnovers. If Hartsville is getting turnovers, it's over.

That's why they play the games, as they say.

I hear Hartsville is a really good team and the point guard Shaw is the real deal. But I must say that pressuring Eastside non-stop will not be the immediate cure for them to win. I do think it can be successful as long as they can avoid giving up the big plays to Eastside when the press breaks down such as dunks and 3-pointers. Lower Richland had success early against Eastside with their pressure but a few of their guys got in foul trouble and they gave up some momentum changing plays when their press broke down. Now if its a slow game the game definitely favors Eastside. I've watched all of Eastside's games in the playoffs and defensively they create a lot of turnovers. They run a very unique 2-2-1 zone press that is very confusing. If Hartsville is unprepared for it like Lower Richland was then they will be in trouble. Should be a good game. Overall, I feel like the Shaw kid from Hartsville is going to be very hungry and this will be the first road game for Eastside in the playoffs. I predict Hartsville to win this one

IF Eastside find a way to neutralize Shaw and maybe take him out of the equation theyll win pretty easy, they wont be able to stop shaw i think he still may score close to 20 but limited the touches hell get, and Shaw has fouled out of some games maybe eastside can exploit that, i wanna pick Hartsville i think they have the experience in playing last year in the state champ but eastside Schd was a beast this year they played better competition and still have only 3 loses, Its hard to go against Mcgowan he'll give at least 20 to any team he play whether its irmo, or hartsville. My heart wanna say Hartsville but my mind wanna say Eastside, either way it will be close by 7 points or less

Eastside has not impressed me at all in the first half. Mcgowens is about all they have. They are worn down already. Red Foxes will pull away in second half.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT