ADVERTISEMENT

D1 Baseball Roster Counter Rules

Mar 1, 2009
I know all the basic NCAA rules on roster limits but does anyone know if players receiving scholarships (Counters) that are ineligible, injured, cut or quit before the season starts still count towards the roster limit of 35? I know they still count as one of the 27 max receiving financial aid but can they be replaced on the roster with a walk-on? Can't find the answer to that anywhere in the NCAA rules.

EXAMPLE: You start the fall with your 27 scholarship players and 13 walk-ons (40 players total). By February you have 3 of 27 "Counters" are either ineligible due to academics, injured and out for the season or quit the team. Do those 3 still have to be submitted to the NCAA on your 35 man roster or can your roster just include the 24 scholarship players and 11 walk-ons vs the normal 8 walk-ons?

I dont know about the others however injured still count towards the limits. USC has counted several kids who were out for season with injuries.

Doesn't matter whether they are cut, hurt, quit, or flunk out. They still count toward the 27 and must appear on the "squad list" that is finalized the day before the first spring game. They generally cannot be replaced by walkons. I believe that the NCAA can grant a waiver is certain VERY limited situations, but such waivers are very, very rare.

The best source for information on stuff like this is hsbaseballweb.com

This post was edited on 1/27 8:41 PM by PalmettoBBFan

This post was edited on 1/27 8:42 PM by PalmettoBBFan

I did find in section 17 of the NCAA rules that whoever the 27 are getting $ do by default count as part of the 35. BUT, there is a waiver process to request relief from that. Anyone know under which circumstances the NCAA grant those waivers? Logically, I'd think if you cut a player who's getting $ you can't get a waiver because coaches would make it routine to cut a counter they decide they don't like to make room for a walk-on they like better. However if a counter quits or is ineligible then the waiver seems appropriate. A waiver for an injury seems questionable unless there is proof that the injury is legit and the player can't play.

Anyone have any knowledge of how this waiver process works?

In the last few years SC has lost scholarship players that were kicked out (cut), flunked out, and who were hurt, all without receiving relief from the NCAA. Don't hold me to this, but I THINK there was one situation about 4 years ago in which a player was hurt and they were granted relief. However, there have been several cases since then where that did not happen.

Bottom line, if you lose a scholarship player, for whatever reason, you're almost certain to be a man down when the season starts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT