ADVERTISEMENT

JB... Summerville Job

Scott did NOT interview

I was afraid that was the case. I did learn this weekend that Buddy King (current OL coach) interviewed for the Summerville job. Buddy is a great coach who spent most of his career in the ACC and SEC. But, he has never been a head coach, so it seems Summerville is disregarding the requirement of 5 years head coaching experience that they put into the advertisement for the job. The longer this cluster goes on, the more likely it seems that Cal will be the guy (and that Slicker will be right, which is tough to swallow).

I think its funny that everyone seems to know all the details about the Summerville Job but yet know nothing! There are very capable and big name coaches that have interviewed for the job. The fact that they don't want their names made public because they have current jobs makes sense to me. Also, if you supposedly know that they ran of the legend, wouldn't you also know that this principal doesn't have the ties to Call that some others in the district do? I feel that this administration will do what they think is best for the kids and the program. Luckily I don't think they care what you or I think, I think that a 4-8 record changed some of that. If they decide Joe is the best guy for the job, then I will support that. If they decide that they are going to go in a different direction, than I will support that. This whole conspiracy theory that this secret society makes all the decisions for the program is a joke!

NEWBIE, I GOT MORE WAVE DIMPLES THAN YOU, THAT OLD MAFIA IS STILL ALIVE AND WORKING IN GREENSLIME TOWN, I WILL TELL YOU THAT I TALKED TO GRANDPA AND HE TOLD ME THAT HE HOPED THEY WOULD RAISE THE GRANDSONS SALARY THIS YEAR, CAUSE THEY DONT PAY HIM JACK. I HAVE WITNESSED MANY MAFIA INSPIRED ACTIONS THERE, SO WHEN YOU BEEN THERE FOR 52 YEARS OF DIMPLES ON YOUR BUTT FROM SITTING AND WITNESSING THE THANGS, SHUT UP NEWBIE CAUSE YOU DONT KNOW CHIT.

Oh I agree that the salary is not much compared to other schools, but the fact that candidates have been told not to apply and such is nonsense. I actually respect your knowledge of low country football Slick, but in this particular case I think I have the inside track on the truth.

Call it a joke if you want, but please tell me the list of those who applied for the baseball coaching job? Anyone interview? Volleyball? Any chance you could provide a job announcement for either of those positions? Coach was showed the door, but this is not the place to drag a legend through the mud. Hard for the faithful to come to grips with in many ways, but yes Coach was ran off. Showed the door, just like the baseball head coach was and the volleyball head coach was. Neither of those jobs posted and the current coaches were given their jobs by the Principle/District. I fully expect Call to become the next head coach. Regardless of who the coach is, there is not enough talent on the current squad to compete. I hope that brighter days are ahead for the Ville, but the past and current situation can not be denied.

Not denying that Coach was shown the door, and I am not denying that things have not been done on the up and up in the past, but I am telling you that this job was not just given to Joe Call. That's not to say that he wont get the job, but it wasn't given to him.

In the last year or so they have ran 3 coaching legends off and replaced 2 of them with people of their choosing with no competition allowed. Having a hard time believing that football will be handled any differently.

How would you say that the football job was given without competition when they have interviewed 7 or 8 guys for the job? I almost hope they decide to give the job to someone other than Joe Call, just so I can see the reaction. I think either way people will be unhappy. I am of the opinion that if Joe Call will do the best job, than they should hire him, regardless of pressure from the outside or within!

Like you, if Call is best candidate, give him the job, if not choose the best candidate. I am definitely not a hater, but after watching how the other jobs were filled, just tainted to some degree. Anything less than hiring the best candidate is unacceptable. Once a coach is hired, everyone will have their own opinion about how it was handled. From there, the new coach will have to go about restoring the program. Regardless of who the coach is in 2016, anything much more than 500 football is a huge success.

How would you say that the football job was given without competition when they have interviewed 7 or 8 guys for the job? I almost hope they decide to give the job to someone other than Joe Call, just so I can see the reaction. I think either way people will be unhappy. I am of the opinion that if Joe Call will do the best job, than they should hire him, regardless of pressure from the outside or within!

.....but if they DO give it to Joe.... then what?

A case of the "I Told You So's" from Slick?

;)

.....but if they DO give it to Joe.... then what?

A case of the "I Told You So's" from Slick?

;)
No matter what happens Slick will have something to say lol! I don't think Joe had a fair shot last season with being thrown in so late and not being able to make changes to his staff, so I wouldn't have a problem with him getting the job. If he is the best candidate for the job, he should be awarded the opportunity. I hope for the boys and the program we get headed in the right direction

I think Call will get the job. Ass't coaches will be hard to change as they are almost all tenured and would have no desire to move. Hands would be tied due to not having the teaching vacancies to bring in new blood. End result would be a very slow change; could Call survive long enough for coaches to be replaced due to attrition? That is if he wanted to get rid of some coaches. Many of the coaches are friends of Call's or coached him or just may be good coaches. Not an easy staff/environment to turn over. Then you have the transfer and talent pool issues. There are no easy answers to get back to double digit wins.

I think Call will get the job. Ass't coaches will be hard to change as they are almost all tenured and would have no desire to move. Hands would be tied due to not having the teaching vacancies to bring in new blood. End result would be a very slow change; could Call survive long enough for coaches to be replaced due to attrition? That is if he wanted to get rid of some coaches. Many of the coaches are friends of Call's or coached him or just may be good coaches. Not an easy staff/environment to turn over. Then you have the transfer and talent pool issues. There are no easy answers to get back to double digit wins.

I agree with you that it will take a while to get back to DBL digit wins, but I disagree that Call will not get rid of tenured coaches. I think after this season he will be more than willing to move forward without them. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Easy to say but hard to do in reality.Telling a bud/peer/former coach that his services are no longer needed but yet still facing him in the hallways each day. Tough, required and maybe the right thing, but still tough. He may be forced to change up his staff in an attempt to keep his job. I think the talent is down and it seems very trendy to transfer. What are your thoughts or what are you hearing on those issues? FD will be strong again next yr. AR will be down and play completely different on O side of ball.

If they interviewed Miles Aldridge or Buddy King and they don't get the job, then everyone who is bad mouthing the district and the Principal are absolutely spot on. You won't find a better coach than Miles Aldridge or Buddy King. Ask Hough HS and Spring Valley HS about Miles.

Easy to say but hard to do in reality.Telling a bud/peer/former coach that his services are no longer needed but yet still facing him in the hallways each day. Tough, required and maybe the right thing, but still tough. He may be forced to change up his staff in an attempt to keep his job. I think the talent is down and it seems very trendy to transfer. What are your thoughts or what are you hearing on those issues? FD will be strong again next yr. AR will be down and play completely different on O side of ball.
The transferring deal is definitely an issue! Some of that may stop once we update our style of play lol. I think alot of the transferring is because of the old good ole boy coaches and the style of play. As far as Buddy King or Miles Aldridge as the head coach. Aldridge is a very good football coach and would be a great choice, but goose creek passed on him because what I hear is he doesn't stay in one place very long. King is a great Oline coach, but not sure if he is a head coach. Plus, he is in his 60's and I think we are trying to get away from old coaches. There are a few young, very good coaches that interviewed for the job.

On a final note about Summerville football: Joe Call SHOULD and WILL be named the permanent full time coach. If this does happen, look for the OL on staff to possibly leave as that would be a very uncomfortable situation to be in having interviewed against each other. If he does not then good for the Wave. Everything on here that has been written about this is job is PURE speculation and probably rumors. I'm sure it will be resolved very soon and good luck to the kids that play for Summerville. They will be back, but it will take a good deal of time to get back.

On a final note about Summerville football: Joe Call SHOULD and WILL be named the permanent full time coach. If this does happen, look for the OL on staff to possibly leave as that would be a very uncomfortable situation to be in having interviewed against each other. If he does not then good for the Wave. Everything on here that has been written about this is job is PURE speculation and probably rumors. I'm sure it will be resolved very soon and good luck to the kids that play for Summerville. They will be back, but it will take a good deal of time to get back.

What exactly has Call done to show that he "SHOULD" be named the permanent coach? The only reason he was the interim is because he is the grandson of the legend. Were he not, I can assure you he wouldn't have been the coach this year. There are coaches on the staff far more experienced and qualified than him. As OC, his unit didn't exactly light up the world. They haven't really been any good on offense sense AJ left. They were ok with DeAngelo Henderson, but have been on a decline since. And, in his one year as head coach, Call won 4 games. Not exactly a ringing endorsement. He might end up with the job, but it will be because of who he is and not was he has accomplished.

Not that I am the biggest fan of Joe's, but I wouldn't say there were others that deserved the interim job more than him. I don't count being a coach under Big John's thumb for 20 plus years experience! I promise you that no matter the new head coach, most of these "experienced" coaches will not remain. There is a reason that none of these qualified coaches have went on to be head coaches, and its not loyalty!

EYE BET LITTLE JOE COULD OUT RUN YOU, NEWBIE

Last edited:
Buddy King would have been a much better choice. He coached college football for 20+ years, coached in the USFL, and was on the staff at Goose Creek when they won it all. He turned down a head coaching job in NC because they wouldn't pay him for his years experience in college. The problem with Buddy is that he has pissed off half the staff there because he tells it like it is and wants to do some things differently than they have done them in the past. I know of several highly successful coaches that want nothing to do with the Summerville job because they know they won't be allowed to clean house. The only way they will be great again is to clean house and start over or have another run of athletes that are just better than everybody else.

No one is talking about the Elephant in the room; the bottom line is it doesn't matter who gets the job. They will only be as good as the staff is and will only be able to accomplish things relative to how hard that staff is willing to work. From what I have heard from EVERYONE is that is not a hard working staff (overall, not singling anyone out) willing to put in the hours in the off-season. I am not in Summerville so I do not know first hand. But that is the general opinion of other coaches and people who have been inside the program.

Reactions: swampfox18
I heard that AR is moving to a form of the wishbone or flex bone like Wofford next year. I ran into a gentleman (won't say name) that said if that is the case he knows of a few kids that won't be attending AR that was thinking about attending AR and one of those kids is related to a big QB that lived in Summerville's back door that attended AR and should have attended Summerville the last two years. Also heard there may be a former AR coach returning to AR.
As for Fort, It looks like they have now taken over the top recruiting tier in the county that used to be owned by Summerville.

LOL......everything you've posted is 100% not true. LOL.....the wishbone.....

From a person who KNOWS what he is talking about. Trust me, there is not one part of that statement that is true. AR is not moving to the bone, and no former AR coach is coming back.

Maybe some clarification regarding AR. I do expect them to have an athletic QB next year who does not play like Duncan. The kid is very elusive and great in space. With the OL they have returning, this may be the best approach; snap and then all heck brakes loose. Next years QB would thrive in that environment. As for Duncan, yes, little brother also plays QB and they are zoned for Summerville. Will he attend AR, I think so, but who knows. I am sure there are many things weighing in on that decision for the young man and his family.

LOL......everything you've posted is 100% not true. LOL.....the wishbone.....

From a person who KNOWS what he is talking about. Trust me, there is not one part of that statement that is true. AR is not moving to the bone, and no former AR coach is coming back.

Like I said from what I hear that is the plan for the QB that will be in place, Since you are a person that knows then we will see. I believe what you are saying just heard different from someone as well.
From what I hear too is you better hope the Hillcrest coach doesn't get the Summerville job...A lot of those kids that live in Summerville zone and attend AR now will be few and Far between in the coming years.

Maybe some clarification regarding AR. I do expect them to have an athletic QB next year who does not play like Duncan. The kid is very elusive and great in space. With the OL they have returning, this may be the best approach; snap and then all heck brakes loose. Next years QB would thrive in that environment. As for Duncan, yes, little brother also plays QB and they are zoned for Summerville. Will he attend AR, I think so, but who knows. I am sure there are many things weighing in on that decision for the young man and his family.
I believe Duncan was supposed to be a great QB..............until he had to play Fort Dorchester, then he looked less than average.

Doc, not really sure the intent of your post in response to mine. IMO Duncan was a very good HS QB, headed to a good FB school on scholarship. Not sure of your point or if maybe you have an issue with Duncan.

He was a very good high school QB-maybe not a national elite type QB that plays at a big time DI level like a Clemson or Alabama but nevertheless very good and heading to Western Kentucky for a free education is pretty darn good in my book. Fort D made 15 QB's struggle this year as they went 15-0.

I think Duncan was a very good QB. I also think that if he played on a team like Fort D that his #'s would have been out of this world! I would not be surprised at all if he ends up being a very good college QB. I remember Mason Rudolph not being in some peoples top 5 in this state. Jacob Park was the clear cut #1 to most. How has that worked out for those two? The point is you never know how things will play out. Some kids are hindered by their high school situations and blossom in college, others do not. I wish him and any other kid from the state lucky enough to play college athletics nothing but luck in the future.

All I will say is sounds like Sour Grapes and someone still has issues with Duncan not attending Summerville. Guess in his opinion prefer walk on is a joke and anyone not signing a Division 1 major scholarship is bad. Guess Big Ben, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, and all the other non power schools QB that play in the NFL were bad HS QB or Avg as you say.

All I will say is sounds like Sour Grapes and someone still has issues with Duncan not attending Summerville. Guess in his opinion prefer walk on is a joke and anyone not signing a Division 1 major scholarship is bad. Guess Big Ben, Joe Flacco, Tony Romo, and all the other non power schools QB that play in the NFL were bad HS QB or Avg as you say.
I support your stance, swampfox, but not sure I'd use Tony Romo as an example. LOL

Reactions: swampfox18
Doc, not really sure the intent of your post in response to mine. IMO Duncan was a very good HS QB, headed to a good FB school on scholarship. Not sure of your point or if maybe you have an issue with Duncan.
He had some good games, but how many Div. 1 schools recruited him? No, I don't have an issue, just stating what I saw in my limited observance of him. I wish Mr. Duncan the best of success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT