ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs

Pickens is already advertising their job. I can't imagine anyone with any credibility wanting to work with that principal or AD.

Who was it that hired the Rec League coach and how did he end up doing?

Inquiring minds wanna know...

o_O

4-6 overall and 2-3 in the region. Are in the playoffs at Powdersville Friday night

Can you win at Pickens? I know it is open but the head coach left early in the season I think game 1 or 2.

Saw something interesting and this topic is the perfect place to post IMO...saw in the Gville News Marcus Lattimore has been named as the HC of Heathwood Hall. I'm not familiar with the place but it's obviously a HS team. Let me say this...Marcus Lattimore is an amazing person and one of the best football players I've ever seen. I'm a CU fan but I still respect guys like Lattimore. I have no doubt he will be a great coach and leader. So, what's your thoughts on a guy that was an Asst. for one year getting a gig over what would seemingly be more qualified coaches? Did he get the job because of his coaching ability? Maybe there weren't any others interested in the job? I've read in the past you guys get pretty riled up over some of these "coaches" being picked over others. Let's hear it guys?

Can you win at Pickens? I know it is open but the head coach left early in the season I think game 1 or 2.

Under the current administration, no. The AD and the principal have no desire to win. A person who interviewed for the basketball position told me that he was asked what he would do to get the community involved and coming to games and was told "and don't talk about winning, because that isn't going to happen here." Plus, whoever they hire won't be able to bring in any assistants with them because there are so many former coaches still eating up teaching spots.

4-6 overall and 2-3 in the region. Are in the playoffs at Powdersville Friday night
2 of the 4 wins came against West Oak. They were actually 1-3 in region (West Oak, the other win doesn't count as a region game to start the season) They were blown out by every other team in the region. They are going to the play offs because 4 out of 5 teams go and West Oak was the 5th team. Their other wins came against TR (terrible) and a 1 point win over Landrum. Even AA St Josephs beat them 50-18. So basically the new coach did exactly what everyone else has done at Walhalla.

Heathwood Hall is a small private school in Columbia. They have about 35 kids (10th-12th) on varsity.

Under the current administration, no. The AD and the principal have no desire to win. A person who interviewed for the basketball position told me that he was asked what he would do to get the community involved and coming to games and was told "and don't talk about winning, because that isn't going to happen here." Plus, whoever they hire won't be able to bring in any assistants with them because there are so many former coaches still eating up teaching spots.

Didn't the head coach get in some trouble for an incident ar the school? He wasn't there longer enough to make a difference and work with the ad and principal. Wasn't the head coach also a buddy hired? Just wondering.

TigerTime serious Byrnes still is a prime spot. You get the right coach they can be back on top. Look what slicks team did with their new coach. Look at what early has done at westside. Both of those programs were down til they made a great hire. That's all Byrnes needs to do so stop going after alums and hire they right guy.

TigerTime serious Byrnes still is a prime spot. You get the right coach they can be back on top. Look what slicks team did with their new coach. Look at what early has done at westside. Both of those programs were down til they made a great hire. That's all Byrnes needs to do so stop going after alums and hire they right guy.

If it were me, my first call would be to Mark Hodge.

Didn't need a smart answer, it was just a legit question. I don't know the situation at Byrnes, I was simply asking.

Didn't the head coach get in some trouble for an incident ar the school? He wasn't there longer enough to make a difference and work with the ad and principal. Wasn't the head coach also a buddy hired? Just wondering.

There was an accusation that was never proven. After the incident with the sideline went viral on Twitter the principal was looking for a reason to make a change. Principal is in his first year. The AD was there when he was hired, but is basically useless. The entire thing is a trainwreck. I know many teachers there and it is the most unhappy faculty I have ever seen.

quiet week of job openings outside of byrnes. I figured after the "official end" to the season last week, more would have popped by now.

Byrnes would, in my opinion, be a domino job...whoever gets it will likely be coming from a head coaching job which means that one opens.....River Bluff I would imagine is probably a domnio effect job....the others...ehhhh, maybe not so much...thoughts?

I'm not so sure that Byrnes would be a domino... looking across the landscape of coaches... you have to wonder two very serious questions:

#1 - Does Byrnes have its eye on anyone specific?

There is a certain image of Byrnes where they love a great coach, but they don't like anyone who cusses like a sailor, embarrasses kids, or struts around like a roster. There are certain coaches that have great resumees and "big names" that do all those things. One would assume Byrnes would scratch them from the list.

And maybe more important...

#2 - Are there any coaches with their eye still on Byrnes?

It ain't what it once was... facilities are below average... other programs in the area are drawing big time players away... fan base is splintered.

I feel they will grab a coordinator or an up and coming coach, maybe not be so locked in to grabbing a "Big Name". I might be wrong, but I have family in that district and it ain't the same place it was 10 years ago. Of course, we shall see......

;)

Anyone think Trey Elder has at least earned the respect to get a phone call for the Byrnes job? I hate the label "retread" but with the way Byrnes season went this year does it force the AD to look outside the "family"? He's had success at Woodruff, a town that always expects to win, he seems to be a good person of character, and I would think his age would make him relate a little more to the kids today.

If they want to win and if they need money and if they want the kids taken care of- they will call Anderson #5 - specifically Westside HS.

Say what you will- his formula for success speaks VOLUMES. He would get them BACK where they were.

Dacoacher......agree with most of your take. But Byrnes want tolerate someone strutting around like a rooster? Bentley was pretty much a diva is his days in the sidelines over there.

The Byrnes link to Trey Elder is obvious. But didn't they just hire a coach off the Byrnes coaching tree, having marginal success at Woodruff, three years ago? I know they are different people, but hard to deny the irony of that situation.
Tough job to hire to that some wouldn't want to tackle. At least the next coach has an upside. I figured Lane was in trouble the minute he took they job as there was no way to go but down.

Reactions: ammonsw
midline..... we can disagree on Bentley, but I certainly agree with Lane. It was a lot like Macaluso at Fairfield Central. If I'm not mistaken, all he did his first year there was lose in the State Championship, ending the season 14-1. And they wanted him fired immediately.

Why?

Because the two previous men had gone 15-0 and won it.

Lane wasn't walking into the exact same situation, but something very similar. Anything less that Championship appearances was a failure in the eyes of those fans. To not make the playoffs is treasonous.

:rolleyes:

midline..... we can disagree on Bentley, but I certainly agree with Lane. It was a lot like Macaluso at Fairfield Central. If I'm not mistaken, all he did his first year there was lose in the State Championship, ending the season 14-1. And they wanted him fired immediately.

Why?

Because the two previous men had gone 15-0 and won it.

Lane wasn't walking into the exact same situation, but something very similar. Anything less that Championship appearances was a failure in the eyes of those fans. To not make the playoffs is treasonous.

:rolleyes:

Macaluso never played for a title @ Fairfield Central. I believe he made it to the upperstate title game in '98, but that's as far as he made it.

I bet Trey Elder wouldn't take it if offered. Too smart. And he has got it made in Woodruff.

Bet he would. Doesn't Byrnes pay better than Woodruff? Also throw into the mix that Byrnes does have talent, and there is an upside to taking the job at this point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT