ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs

Wow, that place can't keep coaches.

Are they any good? What is the deal there as to why they can't keep coaches? I did see in the past 2 years according to maxpreps they were 0-10 and 1-9. This usually helps to get you fired. I know the former coach Perry Parks was there for about 3 years and was give or take 9-21 in those 3 years. But is doing a heck of a job at Ridge View now.

Are they any good? What is the deal there as to why they can't keep coaches? I did see in the past 2 years according to maxpreps they were 0-10 and 1-9. This usually helps to get you fired. I know the former coach Perry Parks was there for about 3 years and was give or take 9-21 in those 3 years. But is doing a heck of a job at Ridge View now.

I know the coach before Parks had a decent year. They ran the flexbone. Got to the playoffs. And then the coach left.

I wish it were that simple. I'm one of those young coaches that i was talking about. The overall majority was they'd hire a young coach but those folks aren't the ones reviewing applications for that job.

Bide your time. No one wins there.

So is Lakewood more interested in an older coach with experience turning around programs or a young coach? Just curious.

Lol....I hear you! I guess a better question is are they serious about turning the program around. I know someone who has made a living turning awful programs around and I heard from one of his former assistants that he is interested in moving to SC. Just a thought.

Do you have to be certified to teach in SC to be considered for a HC position or are there ways around that if you have a college degree?

At most places that seems to be the rule, but there are exceptions. I know Tanneyhill at Chesterfield and Union fell under that exception. Am sure there have been other incidents that are the same, but for the most part they want someone that is certified. In a lot of districts it is mandatory because the coach also has to teach.

At most places that seems to be the rule, but there are exceptions. I know Tanneyhill at Chesterfield and Union fell under that exception. Am sure there have been other incidents that are the same, but for the most part they want someone that is certified. In a lot of districts it is mandatory because the coach also has to teach.

Correct- Not only does a person have to be certified to teach in almost all places but unlike 20 years ago, many schools will hire a coach if his certification matches the openings they have coming up for the next year. Used to be schools hired the coach they want and made a spot for him.

Here are some things I am hearing in the Upstate the last few days:

Pickens- Lots of smoke on the hiring Chad Smith from Clover front. Could happen this coming week.

St Joes- Hearing the final 3 were Brian Smith the OC from Southside, Andy Hallman the former Hillcrest coach and current middle school coach in Spartanburg and in a bit of a shocker, Wayne Green from Berea. He can retire and double dip and that might be a good gig for him.

JL Mann- Have heard they have had lots of interest in their opening including Jeff Tate from Wren and Jett Turner from Broome (Turner is said to have also applied to Pickens which leads me to believe someone in Spartanbug 3 has pissed him off.)

Almost every opening around the state is getting 30-50 applicants, regardless of the school and their chances of winning.

Interesting about Tate & Green. Coach Tate is a lifelong resident of the Wren/Pville area and Coach Green at St. Joes is like oil & water.

Interesting about Tate & Green. Coach Tate is a lifelong resident of the Wren/Pville area and Coach Green at St. Joes is like oil & water.

Yeah the Green interviewing at St Joes, was a bit of a shock but I have heard it from several different coaches, so I believe it to be true. Could be that at this point in his career, he wants to go somewhere that doesn't have the red tape of coaching at a public school.

Green probably wants to double dip, and also probably sees that maybe Berea ain't exactly what it was when he was there before and is a lost cause.

Tate applying at Mann is a bit baffling. Sure there is a reason, but can't imagine Wren not being a much better situation than Mann.

Vasago I know the first guy Coach Green will call if he's leaving. I'll have to ask him about the interview. I'm not doubting the coaches you've spoken with but that's just a very odd mix. Kind of weird of Coach Tate as well. He pretty much has the run of whatever he wants. The guy is treated like a God over at Wren and in the community. I know it hurt him a little personally when they lost to Pville but the cupboard isn't bare at Wren by any means. There's a lot of really young talent in the pipeline over there.

Could be stemming from a hazing incident.

Vasago I know the first guy Coach Green will call if he's leaving. I'll have to ask him about the interview. I'm not doubting the coaches you've spoken with but that's just a very odd mix. Kind of weird of Coach Tate as well. He pretty much has the run of whatever he wants. The guy is treated like a God over at Wren and in the community. I know it hurt him a little personally when they lost to Pville but the cupboard isn't bare at Wren by any means. There's a lot of really young talent in the pipeline over there.

I could see that, sadly. That whole thing was a mess. Really, the whole situation and those involved is really sad. By most accounts and hearing the kids talk it was really a joke that a parent blew out of proportion. Unfortunately the kid that was hazed lost his father in a tragic accident around the same time and something really stupid caused more hurt than anything. In the end you lose a player and the other kid lost his dad which is much larger in the grand scheme of things than a stupid hazing incident.

Coaching carousel could be getting ready to heat up in the Upstate. With Chad Smith headed back home to Pickens the Clover Blue Eagles will be looking to hire their 4th HC since the end of the Turner era. What will Clover do? Word out of C-Town is the job will be signed, sealed, and delivered to Ed Susi of Fort Mill. It seems as though the good ole boy network has taken over in Blue Eagle country. If the good folks of Clover want to do this thing the right way they wont have to look far. The man that captured Clovers only state title as well as sitting atop the record books as winning est coach in school history is sitting right down the road in Spartanburg County. This place would be absolutely foolish if they didn't bring Turner back to Clover.

Coaching carousel could be getting ready to heat up in the Upstate. With Chad Smith headed back home to Pickens the Clover Blue Eagles will be looking to hire their 4th HC since the end of the Turner era. What will Clover do? Word out of C-Town is the job will be signed, sealed, and delivered to Ed Susi of Fort Mill. It seems as though the good ole boy network has taken over in Blue Eagle country. If the good folks of Clover want to do this thing the right way they wont have to look far. The man that captured Clovers only state title as well as sitting atop the record books as winning est coach in school history is sitting right down the road in Spartanburg County. This place would be absolutely foolish if they didn't bring Turner back to Clover.

Maybe he doesn't want to come back.

Another great 1st post...

o_O

Susi was hired at Fort Mill by the current Clover AD. Don't be surprised to see a few other names of current head coaches with ties to the Clover AD pop up when this one gets going.

Resigned. 2 early words are its early and don't know until applications come in and the other is that it is 1 one of the 3 middle school coaches' job to turn down.

Louis Clyburn has resigned at North Central. Will pursue Camden job.

Also Indian Land has promoted DC HB Blades

ADVERTISEMENT