ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs

[C="CantThrowIt, post: 52155, member: 3840"]Haven't heard anything about North Central. The names I've heard for Camden are the HC from Lamar, the HC from South Florence, the OC at Camden and the OC at Seneca. Wonder why the HC from Lamar applied. I thought he had it made over there. Hasn't he built that program into a power house?

The guy from North Central isnt interviewing for Camden?

Don't know. I hope he is given his resignation letter publicly stating he wants the job.

Wonder why the HC from Lamar applied. I thought he had it made over there. Hasn't he built that program into a power house?

$$$$$$

There's that big of an increase in money? Didn't know that. Guess that would explain it.

Heard Eastside already named a HC. Andre Wilcox? Is that right? Because they fired the old coach and hired the new one in less than a week? That's nuts.

Heard Eastside already named a HC. Andre Wilcox? Is that right? Because they fired the old coach and hired the new one in less than a week? That's nuts.

Interm HC. But if they are going to require the next HC to keep the OC- might as well make it official as NO ONE would want the job!

Interm HC. But if they are going to require the next HC to keep the OC- might as well make it official as NO ONE would want the job!

Why doesn't the OC just take the HC job? If he was the one that orchestrated the firing then he must want to be the main guy, right?

Um.... this thread has seemed to turn into an all-encompassing thread about individual people....

.. not so-much about "Jobs"...

:rolleyes:

Been pretty quiet. I do know that they were only going to consider people certified in PE.

I have been following this Jobs board and remember that someone said the St. James and Waccamaw jobs were dead end jobs. Can anyone with real knowledge of that area talk about the problems with winning down there. Is it just simply a lack of athletes or a lack of commitment to football?

I have been following this Jobs board and remember that someone said the St. James and Waccamaw jobs were dead end jobs. Can anyone with real knowledge of that area talk about the problems with winning down there. Is it just simply a lack of athletes or a lack of commitment to football?

There is a complete lack of athletes at both schools. Both are also in regions that make it almost impossible for them to have any chance with the athletes they have. Both schools are very good in baseball and the baseball coaches discourage players from playing football. Every once in a while they will get a decent group of athletes that come through and they can win 6 or 7 games, but for the most part you are looking at winning 4 or less each year.

Guru is very blunt about the "athlete" thing... and there will be some people who get all flustered when you say things like that about schools that have a certain large majority of population.

But I think both are situations were you have a series of factors that you have to over-come in order to win: 1st - the above mentioned lack of athletes. You can X&O all you want, but they need a committed weight training program and a group of kids that will work hard at the game of football instead of the game of cars, girls, beaches and Daddy's house in the Bahama's (St. James wrestlers have done pretty good fighting against this). The administration is very zeroed in on academics and is quite fine with the occasional .500 season (calling that a success story). I know, I know.. that's what school is SUPPOSED to be about, but we all know life is bigger than your 9-5 job. These kids need to taste fire, desire and drive. That will carry them further than their trust funds.

2nd - The long-term success of Myrtle Beach is drawing a lot of kids with above average football ability to it's campus. The up and down of Conway, coupled with the "always close to being good" Carolina Forest program, milks players away from them. This sort feeds right back into #1.

3rd - Living at the beach, you find a fairly transit group here. It used to be the Air Force Base caused a great deal of moving in and moving out. Now it seems to be jobs in the civilian field that move a lot. You have a kid come in, join the team, start to improve, then move to Philly - all in a calendar year. Tough to maintain that level of success when you lose 3 starters in a season to moves.

4th - Feeder programs. St. James, nor Waccamaw have ever (to my knowledge) really, truly worked the feeder programs. Gone out to games in their school gear, worked the crowds, talking to the parents who are zoned for their schools. If you want to build attitude and effort, be seen by the parents and let them know you are interested in their child's future. That you look forward to them working hard at the game and developing into a talent that could be the start of something special.

5th - Assistants. If you want good, quality assistants you're going to have to have some incentives for them - and NO "living at the beach" is not your biggest selling point. Massive crowds, higher costs of goods and a high crime rate are not things you want to push on these folks. I'm talking PAY, class loads and other incentives like paying for clinics, providing tons of school gear and other "perks" that would make working here an attraction for young up and coming coaches.

Hope this helps. I know its a lot to chew on... and yes, I expect lots of bickering and countering to some of my observations. But, this is what I've seen and this is what I know. Would love to hear what someone knows differently.

:D

Reactions: ShivaBlast
That's a very good assessment. I have seen them both play over the last few years. St. James had the best team in school history 2 yrs ago (I believe they won 7). Those kids graduated and they went 0-10 this past year. Their JV team has been very bad the last few years. Waccamaw had a decent team 3 years ago, and has really struggled the last 2. They have a young group coming up that has had some success, but they just don't have enough athletes to compete with Loris, Georgetown, Lake City, Carvers Bay and Andrews yearly, not to even mention Dillon.

as we go through all these jobs- a name that Pops up a LOT is JET TURNER. Why pray tell has no one scooped up this state championship coach. Heck, I cannot believe JL MANN did not jump on him!!!!!! This guy is a winner EVERYWHERE he goes. What gives?

Heard some Aiken names:
Strickland- former Mann HC
Blacha- OL/Strength at Brookland-Cayce
Pope- Schofield Middle, Aiken feeder school
Van Hook- OC on staff
Bryant- White Knoll Asst.
Davis- South Aiken Asst.

The administration is very zeroed in on academics and is quite fine with the occasional .500 season (calling that a success story).

Didn't St. James' principal play college football at ECU?

Administrative support is not the issue at St. James. They just don't have the players to compete on a regular basis with MB, NMB, Wilson, and Marlboro County.

So which of the two Waccamaw and ST James has the better upside? Which school could be build onto a solid football program?

honestly Zonecoach neither one will ever win consistently, both are baseball & country club sport schools

Waccamaw has 4 winning seasons in its 26 year history, none since 1998. St. James has 1 winning season in its 13 year history. St. James does pay considerably better.

Let me just throw this out there and see what responses I get. Which school that has a HFC opening is the most under achieving in your opinion. Not a program that has no talent necessarily but a team that should be doing way better than they are with what they have?

I would say of the schools left open... Camden or Blythewood. But each has some challenges that are keeping them from being dominate programs.

Let me just throw this out there and see what responses I get. Which school that has a HFC opening is the most under achieving in your opinion. Not a program that has no talent necessarily but a team that should be doing way better than they are with what they have?

North Central is a candidate. They have a good number of athletes, plenty of resources, and a region that is not dominant. There is no reason they shouldn't be able to finish in the top 3 of that region every year.

Would they try to offer it to one of the Camden runner-ups?

Depends on who is in the interviews.... district? Or individual schools?

With the AD element, I would guess a District person will be in on interviews... only a guess, though.

Depends on who is in the interviews.... district? Or individual schools?

With the AD element, I would guess a District person will be in on interviews... only a guess, though.

Have you heard any names for both jobs?

I'm interested in Blythewood . I'm surprised no one has been hired yet. What's going on up there?

Bet the AD already has 100 resumes in his inbox for that high paying gig. Said it about Byrnes, have said it about any of the bigger schools with an opening, they would be foolish not to drive up to Chapman and get Hodge. He is as good as there is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT