ADVERTISEMENT

Jobs

Waccamaw went 7-4 in 2009. Pay is woeful compared to most for football. At least 10 grand more at St. James and only 15 miles apart. Hard pressed to call Waccamaw a baseball school--one region championship and two district titles in 27 years. Cross country, track, tennis, golf, soccer, softball (country club sports)-yes.
Dacoach addressed some of the problems. Not really sure # 5 is a problem at WHS. Most of Waccamaw's coaching staff came from championship staffs. Davis coached under Bourne and was on a championship staff at Carvers Bay, Walters was the head coach of a Top 10 team in the country at one time and turned around every program he had been associated with. Lane, the OL coach, played on a national championship team at Idaho St. and in the NFL, Eddy played for Shell Dula and coached at Carvers Bay(state runnerup). McAlister played at Johnsonville under Curtis Middleton. Not really sure you are going to find better coaches that will work for 4 grand or volunteer.

Last edited:
Waccamaw went 7-4 in 2009. Pay is woeful compared to most for football. At least 10 grand more at St. James and only 15 miles apart. Hard pressed to call Waccamaw a baseball school--one region championship and two district titles in 27 years. Cross country, track, tennis, golf, soccer, softball (country club sports)-yes.
Dacoach addressed some of the problems. Not really sure # 5 is a problem at WHS. Most of Waccamaw's coaching staff came from championship staffs. Davis coached under Bourne and was on a championship staff at Carvers Bay, Walters was the head coach of a Top 10 team in the country at one time and turned around every program he had been associated with. Lane, the OL coach, played on a national championship team at Idaho St. and in the NFL, Eddy played for Shell Dula and coached at Carvers Bay(state runnerup). McAlister played at Johnsonville under Curtis Middleton. Not really sure you are going to find better coaches that will work for 4 grand or volunteer.

How much did Davis really do at CB, not much, was hardly at the practices McCollum was more responsible for that defense in those days, which team was a top 10 team in the nation under Walters? He was only a HC for 4 years at White Knoll, so top 10 in the state is what I am going to assume you meant.
Just because they played for championship teams does not mean they are championship coaches, big difference in playing & then becoming a coach, it does not always transpire that way, though a coach is only as good as the johnny & joes he's got.
Living in the neck for as long as I have yes Waccamaw boasts itself as THE baseball school in Georgetown Co. & fyi 7-4 is not their best record 8-3 under Dennis Lee is, who is still the school's winningest coach

Last edited:
How much did Davis really do at CB, not much, was hardly at the practices McCollum was more responsible for that defense in those days, which team was a top 10 team in the nation under Walters? He was only a HC for 4 years at White Knoll, so top 10 in the state is what I am going to assume you meant.
Just because they played for championship teams does not mean they are championship coaches, big difference in playing & then becoming a coach, it does not always transpire that way, though a coach is only as good as the johnny & joes he's got.
Living in the neck for as long as I have yes Waccamaw boasts itself as THE baseball school in Georgetown Co. & fyi 7-4 is not their best record 8-3 under Dennis Lee is, who is still the school's winningest coach

FYI--I did not say 7-4 was their best record. The Guru's incorrectly stated that Waccamaw had not had a winning record since 1998. My response was 7-4 in 2009. They were 7-5 in 1994, 8-4 in 1995, 8-3 in 1996, and 6-5 in 1998. Actually ranked third in the state in 1996 after week 7(7-0). Lee was the winningest coach in school history at 42-76, Bourne 21-42, Davis 24-53, and Brown 1-19.
I will agree to disagree about the coaches. Walters was at Southern Durham and also at South Brunswick(look up the documentary film Any Given Friday) before White Knoll. These coaches don't coach on staffs that win championships and come to Waccamaw and forget everything they have picked up coaching football. Too many distractions for kids at Waccamaw to take football seriously year round and the better athletes concentrate on one sport often(tennis, golf, baseball, lacrosse now, etc.) Waccamaw even has Bass Fishing and Sailing. Dillon and Lake City don't care about any of that stuff--they want to win football games. One thing we will agree on is that Lee is the winningest coach and I have a large sum of money that says he will be for quite some time. County even requires the school to play Carvers Bay and Andrews in the non region portion of the schedule now. The new coach will even have his hands tied with the schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShivaBlast
Bourne went 21-42 in 6 seasons at Waccamaw. He won two state titles at Cheraw and is in the South Carolina Coaches Hall of Fame and Davis coached under him at two different schools. Lee coached with Bobby Ivey and Moose Wallace(both in the SC Coaches Hall of Fame) before coming to Waccamaw, so these guys had pretty solid credentials and had winning percentages of .333 and .356 at WHS. Brown coached Socastee's only winning team in school history up until Hunter Renfrow came along. Whoever gets the Waccamaw job will have a challenge in front of them. Head coaching job pays $7500, maybe the Booster Club will throw in another $7500 if they are serious about winning football games.

Last edited:
Bourne went 21-42 in 6 seasons at Waccamaw. He won two state titles at Cheraw and is in the South Carolina Coaches Hall of Fame. Lee coached with Bobby Ivey and Moose Wallace(both in the SC Coaches Hall of Fame) before coming to Waccamaw, so these guys had pretty solid credentials and had winning percentages of .333 and .356 at WHS. Brown coached Socastee's only winning team in school history up until Hunter Renfrow came along. Whoever gets the Waccamaw job will have a challenge in front of them. Head coaching job pays $7500, maybe the Booster Club will throw in another $7500 if they are serious about winning football games.

don't think the district will allow the booster club to boost that pay because then it would be "unequal" to the other coaches & if you know anything about the GCSD they like everyone to be the same

Seven jobs in the Midlands open and two in Horry County, plus others. Apparently, Waccamaw will be moving soon because they have notified applicants as to whether or not they got an interview or not.

Last edited:
FYI--I did not say 7-4 was their best record. Dacoach incorrectly stated that Waccamaw had not had a winning record since 1998. My response was 7-4 in 2009. They were 7-5 in 1994, 8-4 in 1995, 8-3 in 1996, and 6-5 in 1998. Actually ranked third in the state in 1996 after week 7(7-0). Lee was the winningest coach in school history at 42-76, Bourne 21-42, Davis 24-53, and Brown 1-19.
I will agree to disagree about the coaches. Walters was at Southern Durham and also at South Brunswick(look up the documentary film Any Given Friday) before White Knoll. These coaches don't coach on staffs that win championships and come to Waccamaw and forget everything they have picked up coaching football. Too many distractions for kids at Waccamaw to take football seriously year round and the better athletes concentrate on one sport often(tennis, golf, baseball, lacrosse now, etc.) Waccamaw even has Bass Fishing and Sailing. Dillon and Lake City don't care about any of that stuff--they want to win football games. One thing we will agree on is that Lee is the winningest coach and I have a large sum of money that says he will be for quite some time. County even requires the school to play Carvers Bay and Andrews in the non region portion of the schedule now. The new coach will even have his hands tied with the schedule.

Um, dacoach never said anything about ANY records....

Just FYI.....

o_O

My mistake--it was Guru's that said Waccamaw had not had a winning record since 1998. Corrected my post.

You are correct. I overlooked the 2009 season somehow. So they've had on winning season since 1998 instead of zero...still a dead end job.

I suppose the next plausible question and certainly the most important question is: Do these schools want to become excellent in Football or is football just something to pass time in the fall? If the principal doesn't want a program to excel, he/she can control it and make sure it doesn't. If he/she wants excellence they can help the program pursue excellence by helping the staff and setting the tone. Players in Strength classes together, hiring coaches who are good teachers to fill teaching vacancies, alleviating the coach of some menial duties realizing that he probably spends more time at the school than even the principal. An excellent program starts at the very top. Winning will take care of itself if all the other pieces are present.

Unfortunately the LAST thing some administrators want is a dominant football program. They see that as a negative and as a threat.

Reactions: midline
You are correct. I overlooked the 2009 season somehow. So they've had on winning season since 1998 instead of zero...still a dead end job.
St. James and Waccamaw are certainly going to be uphill battles. If a coach took the St. James or Waccamaw job, would schools on the outside consider them for future openings if they could put together two or three .500 type seasons? At Waccamaw, that would entail beating H-P, St. James, Aynor, Loris, and someone else. This past season they beat St. James, lost to Aynor, Loris, and H-P all in the last minute of the game--couldn't finish. Lee, Bourne, or Brown have never taken a head coaching job after coaching Waccamaw. Bourne retired, while Lee and Brown continued to teach and coach in capacities other than being a head football coach.

Both Camden and North Central AD jobs were posted yesterday on the SCHSL website. They must have made hires for the football job and decided to split the two positions. They were originally advertised together.

Both Camden and North Central AD jobs were posted yesterday on the SCHSL website. They must have made hires for the football job and decided to split the two positions. They were originally advertised together.
Guru look again it is for both AD/HFC

Why would they have requested the HSL post them under job openings on Monday if they aren't job postings?

I noticed that as well that as to why they only posted the ad information and not ad/head football coach but no posting to apply.

Hear Camden starts their second round of sometime next week. Two names I've heard that are getting another interview are Ron Duncan and Mark Barnes.

Ron Duncan would be a great hire at Camden. Former DC there, has had a ton of success at BE and Screven County, GA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT