ADVERTISEMENT

Lexington Celebration - The Video: (nothing more than a celebration)

JB_a_Rivals

Varsity All American
May 7, 2003
Ok, I managed to find someone who had the camera rolling. Here is the video; not nearly as it was described by the disgruntled parent and certainly nothing to be fired over.

If you follow the video, Coach Stepp is the first one across the field to shake hands...he then runs straight towards the cameral, celebrating, hugs his wife, and then continues to celebrate a few seconds. While is definitely hyped up but certainly nothing I would consider unsportsmanlike or unprofessional. The only thing that happed after this was a post game huddle with his team and you can actually see him pointing at the endzone for them to gather and meet.

Check it out.

This post was edited on 10/19 2:29 PM by JB@Rivals

This post was edited on 10/19 2:29 PM by JB@Rivals

Lexington-River Bluff Post-Game celebration

I watched it. it may not be the way I would have celebrated but I'm 57 years old and old school. I don't see anything the young man did to lose his job over. sounds like old fart needs to take a chill pill. he revealed his class when he brought a kid into his conversation. must be a lousy ass coach to be willing to pump his own kid up in one breath and criticize another kid in the same breath. and if he isn't a lousy coach he is certainly a very small man.

coach stepp, I would only say it is ok to get excited but remain humble. win, celebrate but always do it with class. like I said, I probably wouldn't have danced it up like that, especially with my knees LOL but didn't see anything that was taunting or unsportsmanlike. congratulations on the win.

Agree with you. I've never let people call kids out on our message boards and I've never allowed "bashing" of coaches. Sometimes there is a fine line between bashing and just criticism but I can't have someone coming out calling for a man's job and certainly won't let them talk about kids - my kid or any other kid - on the boards.

Wow, that's what had OBC so cranked up? It's just a young coach winning the first game in what will no doubt be a spirited rivalry. He celebrated with his crowd and I certainly didn't see him taunt anyone.

I don't believe the folks over in Lexington County like each other very much. Maybe Lexington would feel better if they built them one of those fine state of the art football stadiums. Meanwhile the Red Bank crowd is laughing their behinds off knowing they are now the top dog in the county! All that being said I don't see a problem with how the coach was celebrating his big win over their new rival.His only problem is it won't be long before River Bluff pays him back.

This post was edited on 10/19 7:13 PM by GridironGunslinger

He seemed very excited. Like state title excited, but I didn't see anything out of hand. Maybe the disgruntled poster is just upset because they lost? I understand that, but that coach did nothing wrong in my eyes.

Well, lets be real here folks. That person took the time to create a handle and post a 1,000 word crtique about a coach. That's all it was... a list complaits about ONE coach and how he behaved.

Called for his job.

Pretty sure we all have enough sense to dismiss it.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

While I'd say the celebration is a little over the top, the coach in question was doing it on his sideline, after shaking hands in a respectful manner at the appropriate time. Coaching can be such a popularity contest nowadays, maybe he's endearing himself to his faithful after a big win over a hated rival. I'm sure RB will have their opportunity to pay him back, if that staff is still around after this year. No story here in my opinion. It's not Stepp's job to please the RB crowd.

Saw the entire team celebration on the archived broadcast on their athletic site. Seemed a bit much. Entire Lex sideline celebrated like they just ended a 30-game losing streak or won state. A bit much. Something to get fired or reprimanded for? Nope.

Originally posted by GridironGunslinger:
I don't believe the folks over in Lexington County like each other very much. Maybe Lexington would feel better if they built them one of those fine state of the art football stadiums. Meanwhile the Red Bank crowd is laughing their behinds off knowing they are now the top dog in the county! All that being said I don't see a problem with how the coach was celebrating his big win over their new rival.His only problem is it won't be long before River Bluff pays him back.

This post was edited on 10/19 7:13 PM by GridironGunslinger
Lexington County? lots of schools there - think you mean Lexiington schools within Lex District One - right? Lex/White Knoll has always been a great, and sometimes very heated, rivalry, particularly in the early days, when Lexington's top two assistants went to WK to be head coach and AD at WK. Understandable.

Likewise, there are MANY reasons for the Lex/RB rivalry to be heated. I fully expect, like WK, when RB beats Lexington, they will celebrate (and, let's be honest, WOULD have done so if they'd won Friday night). Don't see "a problem" there.

I suspect the WK crowd was probably glad Lex beat RB, if they cared one way or the other - be interesting to ask 'em.

Finally, most of the coaches at LHS didn't want a stadium to be built on campus - just not enough room for it and it took away much needed practice space for all teams. I am not alone in wishing that the district had renovated good ole Wildcat Hollow, for practical and nostalgic reasons. Now, two things are for sure - the district could've made the Hollow into as nice a facility as RB's football stadium, instead of the cramped facility that leaks and has trailers on stilts for pressboxes, and certainly, RB's stadium far surpasses anything in not just the district, but, I suspect, the entire state.

This post was edited on 10/23 11:07 AM by ljk

I was curious at first as to the topic of the post....then I saw the video link the someone posted of the celebration....I'm even more puzzled now then I was before!!! I mean anyone that's either played sports or coached them (I've done both) have always been excited about the thrill of victory!! As a young coach perhaps winning his first game, or a very crucial game give cause for celebrating a multitude of things....practices, team preparation, game strategies, & threat assessments...I really saw nothing wrong in his (The Coach) celebrating and further more younger coaches have a tendency to be a lot more excited then their older generation counterparts....case & point....(Dabo Swiney) for example....he's young and full of excitement....would you be calling for his head when Clemson finally beats SC??? You're not gonna see Steve Spurrier jump around, but Dabo....he's a firecracker waiting to explode on Spurrier man!!!! So from my perspective, it's simple....one team won....the other team lost....no fights, taunting or disrespect seemingly took place. Because calling for a man's job, is just plain ridiculous & down right childish....over a football game where no one was injured by anything other than violence collisions due to the nature of the game!!!! Take your lose with some class and keep it moving!! The other poster is right....move on to the next one, there's nothing here to get work up over!!!!

I was a bit surprised that someone wanted Stepps job called into question, unless there was something said that I wasn't aware of. I didn't find his celebration offensive, but did find it a bit odd. A bit much in my opinion when you had to score in the last minute to beat a team playing their first year of varsity football. But then again, maybe that was a region to react like you had just taken out Dutch Fork. I would figure that some folks that are amongst the power players at Lexington would have not been very happy for such an established program to be taken out by the new school in their first season playing a varsity schedule. Stepp came as close as he could to losing that game. That is what could have possibly cost him his job. So looking at it from that point of view, maybe the celebration was warranted.

So that could have been a "I Just Saved My Job" Dance?

laugh.r191677.gif

I would have been Break Dancing if that was the case!

roll.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Mox94:
I was a bit surprised that someone wanted Stepps job called into question, unless there was something said that I wasn't aware of. I didn't find his celebration offensive, but did find it a bit odd. A bit much in my opinion when you had to score in the last minute to beat a team playing their first year of varsity football. But then again, maybe that was a region to react like you had just taken out Dutch Fork. I would figure that some folks that are amongst the power players at Lexington would have not been very happy for such an established program to be taken out by the new school in their first season playing a varsity schedule. Stepp came as close as he could to losing that game. That is what could have possibly cost him his job. So looking at it from that point of view, maybe the celebration was warranted.
Mox...you make some good points, but you just don't understand the dynamics of the hometown situation. It's complicated, and you have to know it to understand the excitement that EITHER of these teams would have felt and shown after the win. They are in the same town. Good gosh, to use your DF example - gracious, I remember how they celebrated when they beat Irmo regardless of how good either was. Not sure what you mean by "power players" in Lexington - they are pretty divided among the two schools so there are just as many, if not more, "power players" that can't stand that LHS beat RB in football - or in SAT, ACT, PSAT & AP scores this year, for that matter.

And, no, Coach Steppe's job wouldn't have been endangered by a loss, nor is Coach Bennett's - how silly.

Incidentally, RB essentially played a varsity schedule last year, and this year's squad demographics pretty much mirror Lexington's, while their student body population is probably somewhere around 4-600 more than Lexington this year (last year was LHS 1843; RB 1500; RB is a good bit larger than LHS this year).

Respective squad breakdown:

LHS - 23 srs, 24 jrs, 16 sophs, 1 fr;
RBHS - 24 srs, 31 jrs, 10 sophs.

Doesn't the LHS zone have more residential or at least potential residential growth? RB has a great deal of commercial in their zone. This should be the more heated rivalry considering White Knoll/Red Bank/29073 is a bit more different now than what Lexington proper/29072 is.

Originally posted by BallCoach17:
Doesn't the LHS zone have more residential or at least potential residential growth? RB has a great deal of commercial in their zone. This should be the more heated rivalry considering White Knoll/Red Bank/29073 is a bit more different now than what Lexington proper/29072 is.
No... don't believe so. Lots of residential development going on in RB attendance area (& from what I understand, real estate prices more expensive, for the most part, as well).

There is huge residential development potential in all three school zones, that's why the zone is growing so much.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT