ADVERTISEMENT

Message Boards-SC High School Softball

Mar 20, 2017
Just curious if there are other message boards or major sites people are using to chat/analyze SC high school softball. A couple of years ago, this was the main source of traffic when it comes to keeping up with teams/regions and just overall softball info for the state.

I imagine Twitter and Max Preps and such have taken a toll on this message board but are there others that I am not aware of?

The group of older folks (parents) grew their kid up just as Facebook and other social media was getting going good. This site was a conduit for old and even young to talk about softball. It was read, and still is read by the more influential softball community.

I will give the young players a ton of credit. Most now have complete control of their social media life. Many structure their media pages as a resume. Those who do not, should. That being said, the need for recognition through a message board diminishes.

Times change. It will take a group of statewide folks to get it going again. Good to do, because SC Varsity is still read within the softball community. And has been maybe the best source of relevant softball news, comparing to other states.

There are just a whole bundle of media outlets now. Public, private, and semi private. Glad the youth of today has these options. The young ones who recognize the power of media (on their terms) will be a step ahead.

These days, almost all coaches insist on getting access to players social media data. The game is played on the inside (always has) and difficult for the general public to get good information.

Last edited:
Just curious if there are other message boards or major sites people are using to chat/analyze SC high school softball. A couple of years ago, this was the main source of traffic when it comes to keeping up with teams/regions and just overall softball info for the state.

I imagine Twitter and Max Preps and such have taken a toll on this message board but are there others that I am not aware of?

I'm curious to know too. I used to see all these opinions about this or that team and region, etc. I asked the other day for some info or opinions on camps thinking this is the place to check. So far...crickets.

I agree BS100, that players should use their platform as a resume for recruiting purposes. Times surely have changed! They would be crazy not to in this day! But its a shame because I think in that process, the big picture gets taken out of it.

I used to check SCVarsity first to look for region standings and fun stories about different programs, schools, and regions. It was fun to keep up with the big picture across the state! Plus you used to have an idea of what the playoffs might look like without having to dig around from school website to school website or wait on a bone from The State newspaper. That's what I miss about these message boards! It was fun to check into after a big region week to see how everybody stacked up.

It will, indeed, take a conscious effort form many to get it started back up again.

Unfortunately for old souls like me lol times have changed way too much. I remember when I could look up the local and sometimes outlying areas baseball & softball scores. Now, you may get a quick snippet during the postseason. But, if I need to find any Lacrosse or Soccer scores there are plenty, front & center. Thank goodness HS Friday nights haven't gone by the wayside...yet.

So, scsoftball611 tell us about the teams in your area, who's strong, who to watch for in the upcoming years, etc. I'm in the Easley area. So far the teams I've seen are Powdersville, Wren, Blue Ridge, Berea, Pickens. Greenville, Emerald, Pendleton, Liberty, Gaffney, Clinton, Hanna, Whitmire & Spartanburg. Of those, none of them blew me away but I will say Gaffney looked pretty strong when I saw them. Emerald has a nice looking team that is pretty young. Liberty is a good hitting team. Blue Ridge is strong looking and so is Wren.

I am in the midlands area and the teams I have seen so far:

Spring Valley, Irmo, Dutch Fork, River Bluff, Lugoff-Elgin, White Knoll, Lexington.

Of that crew, I'd say Dutch Fork, White Knoll, and Lexington are the stronger ones; all pretty scrappy teams with 3-1 region records. There is always the potential of River Bluff and Spring Valley sneaking up on a bad day and taking a W from somebody though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as always!

Reactions: BulldogZ91
I am in the midlands area and the teams I have seen so far:

Spring Valley, Irmo, Dutch Fork, River Bluff, Lugoff-Elgin, White Knoll, Lexington.

Of that crew, I'd say Dutch Fork, White Knoll, and Lexington are the stronger ones; all pretty scrappy teams with 3-1 region records. There is always the potential of River Bluff and Spring Valley sneaking up on a bad day and taking a W from somebody though. It will be interesting to see how it plays out, as always!

Dutch Fork has the best hitters in that group and LE has the best pitching.

Dutch Fork, SV, Irmo, RB, White Knoll, Lexington, and Blythewood is a tough region.

Dutch Fork has the best hitters in that group and LE has the best pitching.

Dutch Fork, SV, Irmo, RB, White Knoll, Lexington, and Blythewood is a tough region.

Tough region, for sure. It's going to be fun to watch it unfold. DF has some bats throughout the entire lineup. It will be fun to see if their pitching will keep them in tough ball games. They are impressive-well coached. It will only take one mistake for somebody to fall in this region because it will probably stay neck and neck throughout. You can never count Lexington out. And I think I saw on Twitter that White Knoll had 7 homeruns in their game against Irmo? 6 different girls? Those are bats that nobody should count out as well.

LE is strong but I forgot to mention them since they are outside the region. All around good coaching over at LE, nice people-usually put out a well-rounded team.

Midlands is a great place to follow high school softball.

I to am disappointed in the amount of info people post on here now a days. Back a few years ago when my girls were in HS you could come here almost every night and get scores and highlights from almost every team in the state. Now you cant even hardly find a score. Come on people help us old folks out and give us some reports. LOL

AKA Benched_coach

Last edited:
Tuesday Scores from the Midlands:
WK 8-Lex 7
DF 14-Irmo 3

Current Region 5 AAAAA Standings:
WK 5-1
DF 5-1
Lex 3-2
Blythewood 3-3
Spring Valley 3-4
River Bluff 2-4