ADVERTISEMENT

my opinion

Teachers going in to the profession know the pay scale. They do not teach for the money or hopes of getting rich.

Teachers going in to the profession know the pay scale. They do not teach for the money or hopes of getting rich.
They also going into it because they hope to help as many students has they can. A lot of coach's go into not to teach but use that to get into the school to only coach. Most big high schools in SC is all about football and not about the education of the students. This is why SC is almost last in all states in education and we ask why is this. Thank you for all of your comments on this, maybe some day it will work out where education and sports in high school will work out for everyone.

Reactions: 80sfootball
Bearcat thank you. I am so glad that my son goes to a school that cares about him as a student and as an athlete. I'm really glad that he doesn't go to Rockhill if that's the way students are looked upon. My sons coach knows who he is and where his grades are. He also wants to know if my son has any behavior problems. Not just my son but all the athletes at his school. My son school district has the strictest behavior plan in the state with a zero tolerance for tobacco and alcohol . I know that coaches put in a lot of hours during the summer months with out pay just so my kid can be competitive. I do wish the math or chemistry teachers would do the same.

Bearcat thank you. I am so glad that my son goes to a school that cares about him as a student and as an athlete. I'm really glad that he doesn't go to Rockhill if that's the way students are looked upon. My sons coach knows who he is and where his grades are. He also wants to know if my son has any behavior problems. Not just my son but all the athletes at his school. My son school district has the strictest behavior plan in the state with a zero tolerance for tobacco and alcohol . I know that coaches put in a lot of hours during the summer months with out pay just so my kid can be competitive. I do wish the math or chemistry teachers would do the same.
Teachers do put in time, a lot of time at night and week-ends and all summer, they must take classes every year to keep being a Teacher. They work more hours with out pay then many of you know. I am glad your school cares about there grades.

still a waste of tax money don't you think more of that money should go to the classroom

As others have stated , football is a classroom for the most part and I can assure you the classroom teachers DO NOT put in the hours the top coaches will.

Also a LOT depends on a successful football program. if football is doing well it increases revenue and this is what pays for ALL other sports other than basketball

You can argue it all day long but these guys KNOW if they do not perform they will be terminated

Also if you have a "top" English, Math (or any other subject) and that person is at the TOP they will have at min a Masters Degree +30 hours and have passed the national boards. They are not going to be much short of $75K yr then and STILL have summers/weekends off and leave a end of school day every day year round and they KNOW for most part they will NOT BE FIRED

Reactions: asskicknchikn02
Now I am the FIRST to admit teachers should be paid more, A LOT MORE trust me on this. The teachers are the some of the most important factors any so many young peoples lives and we loose VERY good teachers due to starting pay scales.

Trust me I have griped about this for years, to me if a starting teacher's pay were at least $10K yr MORE starting out we would not loose a lot of these

However keep this in mind, when someone in education retires they end up making just as much retired if not more and with full health benefits . As most say Education pays on the back end

Some people are totally ignorant of just what a head football coach in the present day and time at the high school level--particularly at a large school--has to do in order to do his job. It's not the same job it was years ago.

Some people are totally ignorant of just what a head football coach in the present day and time at the high school level--particularly at a large school--has to do in order to do his job. It's not the same job it was years ago.
Teacher first in the classroom and then after school......football coach. That is why they are at the school first, to be a classroom Teacher. If they only want to be a football coach, then get a job at a college to coach.

Teacher first in the classroom and then after school......football coach. That is why they are at the school first, to be a classroom Teacher. If they only want to be a football coach, then get a job at a college to coach.

Everyone understands that, but you are blind to other side of the argument.

Everyone understands that, but you are blind to other side of the argument.
But they get paid very nice to coach and not teach at all in the classrooms. Does SC want smart students or football players?

But they get paid very nice to coach and not teach at all in the classrooms. Does SC want smart students or football players?

Honestly, what all do you think entails being an AD at a huge high school? Do you think because they do not teach that they sit around all day and get a huge paycheck without helping any of the kids? You keep calling out coaches for not teaching, but what about coaches that help a kid stay in school because without football or another sport he wouldn't show up?

Why does SC pay the best teacher in school the same as the worst? Why haven't you started a booster club to help pay teachers more money? Why aren't you calling out administrators that make over 100k, but the school is failing?

Last edited:
I think I'm BLIND to this whole argument...

This strand STARTED by some nut saying he was going to get a BILL passed to reduce the amount coaches get paid because school districts are wasting VALUABLE taxpaper dollars on their salaries...

And a few of you turned it into a pissing contest about teachers...

:D:rolleyes:;)

People today are totally ignorant toward what it takes to run an athletic dept these days. 30 years ago you didn't have the Student populations in schools like you see today. You didn't have the technology, financial resources that have to be managed. You didn't have the compliance, and laws that have to be followed up on, and continually monitored. With large schools that I have seen in several states, some make allowances for this in budgets with secretaries and Asst AD's. But not every school district has this kind of dollars. With the AD's job some are fortunate to have a secretary, but if they don't who has to do the paperwork, and then still have time to grade papers, prepare for a game, etc. Bottom line they don't!! School Principals have the job of deciding what is best for each school need. He has the budget and hires and fires, and can structure what he thinks is best for his school. If the AD is fortunate enough to get a Principal that has some understanding of the needs, the resources will probably be provided. People this is not your Mom and Dad's nor is it your generations day of how schools are operated. Things have changed and the best thing you can do is support your Booster Clubs, and Your Coaches, and especially your Athletic Director when he says he needs help. A lot of these guys are overworked trying to satisfy you on game nights and have to listen to you when you are not happy. So step up or shut up as my Grandaddy always said. Make a difference, not a problem.

P.S. with the number of parents that don't parent their kids anymore, these coaches have become the only adult authority in many of these kids lives. They many times feed these kids, cloth them out of their pockets, find them a bed to sleep on. So think about this next time. And for all of you that live in great situations share the wealth, or at least stop trying to make the job harder for those at are working their butts off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT