ADVERTISEMENT

OSU Cowboys

countykid

Four Year Letterman
May 30, 2007
Since I started wrestling in 1988, I have been a fan of OSU thanks to John Smith and Kenny Monday. This article is a great read for any wrestling fan. Not like Darth, who only digests what pertains to him or his agenda
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Wish we had more leaders like Coach Gallagher in our sport today. I know we have Dan, John and Cael, but we need a major boost; something that will revolutionize the sport, the way Coach Gallagher did...

History Of OSU's success

I am an Iowa fan to the core, but truth be told Countykid, OSU is my second favorite team. I like, taught, and try to wrestle using several of their techniques, Pat Smith is my all-time favorite college wrestler (yes, even ahead of all the great Hawkeye wrestlers), and SC had a starter on their squad in 2x state champ Aaron Strobel.

Thanks for posting the article. I understand the staff recently did a 3 day clinic for coaches which also allowed them to watch practices.

Oh, and not to get off topic, but I would be curious to read your thoughts on what my agenda is....

"Cowboy Up" is a great book written about the OSU wrestling program and John Smith. It includes more than just wrestling. He adds information about diet and nutrition along with proper weight management. It is a great read for all young wrestlers and parents.

Thanks guys! I just ordered it. I have read the one about Iowa - the season or season on the mat.. But never knew about Cowboy Up!

Thanks Darth!! Crazy wrestle-off, we all know that what happens in the room isn't usually how the line up is decided

No, but I was a little surprised with Marsteller (sp). But he may be having trouble with the weight...

No - meaning what happens in the room....
He is a true freshman, but heralded as the next coming - what surprised me was one of the losses was apparently to another true freshman. Lot of talk on the message boards about the quality of his two opponents not being as highly touted as him. Could be adjustment to college life, could be after effects of the rough year he had last year, could be the weight cut to get away from Deiringer (sp), or could be a combination of all of the above.

He will be fine, but I'm not convinced he will reach the heights "everyone" has been anticipating. Then again he might get it together with a redshirt year.

I think that injury - coupled with his family problems and adjusting to college - may be slowing him. Really hope he redshirts this season. BTW countykid, have you seen all the signings the Hawks have been making?

Surprised by the Marstellar results too but he beat one of the kids in an open he dominated last week and took an L to Blees who is an absolute monster in his own right (#1 ranked 160 last year and 2013 Fargo Junior champ)

I think the weight cut is a lot and will take some time to adjust. I'm sure the mandate from J Smooth was for him to go 57 the whole time. Dieringer is their top dawg and a downright monster who won't sniff 157 ever again. Okie State has a history of incoming true freshmen pulling A TON of weight to get in the lineup. Coleman at 25 at wrestling 130, JO at 33 for two years, and the most shockingly haunting Espo down at 141 after being the most dominant 152 I had ever seen. How that happened I have no idea. He must have only eaten kale for 6 months.

Should be interesting how the lineup shakes out, they are extremely young but super duper talented.

As an aside, Minny is my pick but I'm biased and have a dog in the fight.

I agree with you Parterre - Minnesota is tough top to bottom, but we will have to see how their guys handle weight realignment. Lot of kids going down a weight class.

Something else for you countykid - one of my favorite wrestlers of all time... except when he was wrestling Tom Brands. Went to high school in my grandmother's area, and I really wanted him to attend Iowa. Hated that he had to sit his junior year, but thoroughly enjoyed watching him dominate at Nationals his senior year - I was glued to his mat and ignoring all others every round when he wrestled. Actually used his name, when he was injured, to get on the floor between rounds at Nationals held in Minneapolis to watch the Olympic hopefuls work-out. While watching both Brands twins take lumps from larger work-out partners, Tom kicked a trash can that sailed past my head.... but that's a story for another time.

http://www.ohiowrestlingsite.com/329/alan-frieds-interview-with-ohio-wrestling-site/

Thank you for your thoughtfullness Darth but being from IL and the pokes are my favorite team, how is this for me? on that note, we shouls start a thread of favorite wrestlers of all time and why.

Did not know you were from Illinois, county kid. Thought you might like to read some thoughts from my 1996 "alter-ego" and an Oklahoma State all-time great, Alan Fried. And yes, I said all-time great even though he only won one NCAA title. Tom Brands and a NCAA sanction kept him from being a 4xer like Pat. Always respected him for sticking with OK St. instead of transferring - and he was absolutely dominant his senior year as anyone who made the trip to UNC for the finals can attest.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT