ADVERTISEMENT

TOURNAMENT: Upward Stars Showcase (AAU/Travel Team Event)...May 17-19

KG (Lan)

Varsity All American
Nov 7, 2001
Upward Stars Showcase

Upward Stars is excited to announce the 2013 Upward Stars Showcase! This tournament will host elite fields in age groups 12-17. The Showcase will be played throughout sport venues in Spartanburg, SC.

INFORMATION

Date: Friday, May 17th- Sunday, May 19th

Ages: 6th Grade/12U- 11th Grade/17U

Cost: $300 (Multiple team discounts)

Format: Pool - Bracket play (4 game guarantee)

Venue: Spartanburg, SC

Schedule: The tournament schedule will be posted to the schedule tab the Wednesday before the tournament

Register: Registration will close when all fields are full. Register now to secure your spot! (This event is for all levels of AAU/Travel team programs).

Website for registration: http://www.upwardstars.org/Tournaments/Upward_Stars_Showcase.htm

Also can contact 803-804-4433

This post was edited on 5/2 8:46 AM by KG (Lan)

This post was edited on 5/2 8:58 AM by KG (Lan)

@KG, Is Thomas Ryan, the head coach from Dorman running this tournament? I didn't know head high school coaches were allowed to be involved with AAU on this type of level. I hear he selects players for the Upward teams, and basically runs Upward.

This post was edited on 5/2 9:40 PM by jeremylin

I also didn't think high school head coaches could run AAU tournaments and teams. Maybe the rules have changed. Anybody know of teams that will be attending this Showcase? Upward has some really good teams. I've seen them play a few times this summer and their Premier 16-U, 17-U, and Greenville 16-U teams are tough. Should be a good showcase

you can run tournaments, absolutely nothing wrong with that. The only rule is you can't coach your own players, max of 3, that played varsity for you if you were the varsity head coach.
Head varsity coach has never coached 17U because that is mostly jrs and srs who would have played varsity- usually that is coached by a parent, friend of program, former player, etc. Now this has trickled into 16s, with more guys playing up.

Upward does not have any parents coaching their teams. Upward is different from other AAU organizations in that they have very credible coaches coaching their teams. All of the guys that coach Upward teams are current high school coaches or are former college players. I think that gives Upward advantage when landing players. If I was a parent I would definitely rather for my kid to play for a former high school coach than a regular john doe.

Not if the regular john doe knows more than the high school coach. Having a title doesnt mean you understand the game there's plenty of non high school coaches that do an excellent job across the state

Want to catch some games when is the schedule going to be posted? It says Wednesday but still not updated!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT