ADVERTISEMENT

What Happened to Combat Shorts

darth vomitus

All-State Pick
Jul 9, 2005
I thought the new clothing rules allowed wrestlers to wear combat/fight/MMA style shorts in the hopes of increasing participation. I've heard from a coach that only compression shorts will be allowed. What gives?

The wording in the rule says compression shorts or shorts designed for wrestling (ie, combat shorts). The NWCA is meeting in August I think to further clarify the verbage and determine what will actually be allowed for competition. It sounds like we may not really know until September.

If they make it compression shorts only, then basically we are going to choose between singlets and doublets, completely negating the benefit of a "shorts" option.

When the ruling was first released I want to say I read an interview with one of the members of the rule committee. Seems to me he implied combat shorts were fine as long as they had an inner lining or compression shorts were worn underneath.

It sounds like the sticking point is going to be exactly how much material is used to make the shorts "designed for wrestling". Obviously we can't have kids in shorts that resemble basketball shorts out there on the mat. So an inseam that keeps it above the knee but is also a slimmer fit so that we cant get fingers entangled, etc is what the committee will have to agree on now.

So do we measure the inseam during practice? Kids wrestle in shorts and tee shirts every day at practice. I've seem middle school teams use shots and shirts for uniforms . I realize that there is a safety factor with baggy shorts but I've seen fingers get caught in the straps of singlets. My point is that this will be a hard one to get total compliance. skinny kid could still have baggy short even with compression shorts Fat kid could look like he's wearing a coat of paint. Not sure either is good for wrestling. Just my two cents

Reactions: stump12520
Likely individuals we'll have to wear some form of compression shorts either way. If kids are out on the mat pulling up their head gear. We'll have kids doing the same with their shorts or some kid will be bouncing around with a foot in the air showing off what they did or didnt get blessed w/.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT