ADVERTISEMENT

Byrnes Vs. Bluffton Game 2 Protest

Apr 8, 2013
Why doesn't the High School League step in and make changes to the High School Baseball/Softball Playoffs? Having any team traveling 3+ hours in one direction serves as nothing else a complete distraction when it comes to academic responsibilities concerning final exams. Secondly, why are the District and State Playoffs not played at a neutral site or atleast have non- regional umpires officiate that specific game? The SCHSL needs to make changes to this system that is currently in place, to prevent future fiascos such as what occurred in Bluffton, SC in the 4A softball State Championship!

You know it's funny how that works! When Bluffton played at Byrnes on Monday there were several things that happened that WERE NOT protested! For example, the play at home where the Byrnes catcher tagged the HEAD of the Bluffton runner-we have a picture that shows Bluffton's runners legs were already across the plate but the Byrnes umpire called an out! Then what about all the Byrnes spectators along the fence HARRASSING Blufftons outfielders? Why wasn't something done about that? When Byrnes was at Bluffton last night the Byrnes coach complained about Bluffton's spectators at the outfield fence and those spectators HAD NOT SAID A WORD to any of the Byrnes outfielders! Here are 2 SCHSL rules for you that ABSOLUTELY were NOT followed by the HS League---Page 72 Paragraph 12 of the Leagues own rule book it states "when a protest is filed, the offending team must enter it at the time of the play and before the next pitch. The Umpire-in-chief shall report the protest to the League Office along with all related conditions AT THE TIME OF THE PROTESTED PLAY"! Well "at the time of the protested play" means right then and there, NOT the next day!!! So there should have been a delay of game while the umpire called the League officials and gotten it straightened out then-that's what is meant by AT THE TIME OF THE PROTESTED PLAY! Secondly, the Byrnes coach was showing unsportsmanlike conduct toward the Umpire during the fiasco- she was vehemently showing her disdain for the umpires call, which leads me to another SCHSL rule which is under UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT paragraph 5 which states: A coach will be in violation of the standards for good sportsmanship established by the league for: arguing with officials or going through motions indicating dislike/disdain for a decision". The Byrnes coach was vehemently talking to the umpire wagging her index finger at him the whole time! That was unsportsmanlike according to this rule and she should have been ejected from the game!!! Finally, the rule that Byrnes protested is a rule the SCHSL made several years ago and it is no ones fault but the coaches for NOT knowing it! Now the SCHSL has NOT followed this one by making The game be replayed from whatever inning this whole fiasco started. So PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE SCHSL AND WHY HAVE ANY RULES IF THEY AREN'T GOING TO BE FOLLOWED? Oh and you may want to tell certain pitchers that every umpire has a different strike zone and where the strike zone is for one team then it should be that way for the other team! It seems certain pitchers think that what their own umpires strike zone is is the zone they should have at every game-sorry it doesn't work that way! And the final game is supposed to be played at a neutral field? It seems once again, Bluffton will be at a disadvantage because they have to travel farther-HOW FAIR IS THAT?

This post was edited on 5/22 4:34 PM by Burlas20

I wasn't there but from media reports last night this game was under protest at the time the call was made. I think the call was total BS and I would still like to see the rule in writing that was broken. Evidently there isn't one or there would not be a replaying of this game from where the call took place. It does suck for Bluffton not to be able to finish a home game. It should be in Bluffton and let the ump that made the stupid call pay for everyone's gas and missed wages. This kind of crap always shows up in the playoffs. Same thing happens in the college game. To many umps want to be seen and its their time to shine!
This is the players time!!

So when and where will the action start, and how many games (1-1/2?). Please advise as many want to go see.

Well it should ABSOLUTELY be finished in Bluffton, since it was started in Bluffton!!!! Bluffton had to get out of school early to travel 3 1/2 hours to Byrnes-yes our girls had to miss school too but as I said the game was being played IN Bluffton and was protested so it should be finished in Bluffton! That is how every other game finishes when there is a protest- it is finished where it was started!

I was thoroughly impressed with how the Bluffton coaches handled the extremely close call at home plate in the game at Bynes Monday night. Their non verbal language almost demonstrated steam coming out of the top of their heads. Their actual actions were true class.

I was too far away to render a judgement on the actual call at the plate. I also am unable to attest to what happened in Bluffton on Wednesday night. Was not there.

When you do witness true class, as I did at Bynes, by the Bluffton coaches, team, and fans, in a very stressful environment, with a call known by all to be very key. You tip your hat the Bluffton.

It is recognized.

This post was edited on 5/22 8:58 PM by BS100

Right thing to do, move finals to Saturday. Finish game two in Bluffington. Both teams get on a bus and drive to Lexington (if needed) ....play the 3rd game. Only fair way to do it.

SCHL should foot the bill for lunches and (gas money for Byrnes' buses)

Just my thoughts.

I don't know what kind of shenanigans the HSL is playing but when other protests were made in the league those games were finished at the SAME field where they were started so why is the continuation of this game not being finished at Bluffton? Oh yea, we know why- because it was a one sided protest without any input from Bluffton! Perhaps we should contact our statehouse senators who wanted to do away with the HSL least year! And I am thinking since the lower state team does not get the advantage of playing a whole game on their field then the 1st game should be replayed at a neutral field also!!!!

It's a free-for-all in the SCHSL! There are NO MORE RULES!! They don't follow them so why should anyone else have to?

Spot on Jacket..
Maybe the Host team should get umpires that have integrity know rules inside & out. This problem was not caused by the schsl. Better umpires who are seen and not heard are always the best option
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Setting aside the issue of where or if game 2 should be played and any other bad calls, it is my understanding that the main issue Byrnes' coach had with the call was the ejection of her player who, I think, was on the mound at the time of the call. The ejection meant that this player was now ineligible for play in the next game. Since this player was the starting 1st baseman and number 2 pitcher for Byrnes, it could have had a huge impact on the final game if she was not able to play. I think the next pitcher in line for Byrnes is a 7th grader. I think the Byrnes coach would have been satisfied with returning the runner, that advanced to 2nd on the play, to first and calling the batter out. However, the ejection call pretty much forced her to enter the protest.

exactly Tigerfamilyof5. Someone who understands and makes sense. Have seen the exact same scenario many times, batter is informed you can not run on dropped third strike if 1st is occupied the strike out is recorded and the batter is sent to the dugout no harm no foul. Question I would have is runner advanced to second on a passed ball with no attempt to throw her out, would clearly have been safe by the time the batter decided to run to first. Why return the runner to first? Should have been batter strikes out runner advances to 2nd on passed ball.

True, the batter should have been called out and the runner on first advance at their discretion. That is how the rule is designed to be applied. As far as thsi travel, when there is a third game the SCHSL has to find a school that is capabel and willing to host that third neutral site game! A lot of school don't want ot host these games and both schools have to agree to the neutral site. You are playing for a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP, I don't know about you but I would drive to the ends of the earth for a chance to Win a State Championship!

I agree the batter should have been given 2nd if it was a pass ball. I think Byrnes was giving that. In fact, I'm pretty sure Byrnes realized they were in trouble with this game either way, but didn't want to lose a player to the next game because of a silly call.

I just don't see why we suddenly have to complicate things in the playoffs with crazy rulings that no one has seen all year. We see the same thing at the college level with the illegal pitch calls. All year a girl is pitching a certain way and no one says anything. Then suddenly we are on the big stage the umpires try to show everyone how knowledgeable they are. Half of the illegal pitching rules don't even give the pitcher an advantage, much less worrying about an inch separation between the plant foot and the ground.

Playoff time is stressful enough on everyone (players, coaches and fans) already. There are enough controversial calls with balls and strikes and tags and catches to amp up the situation under that pressure without throwing some obscure call in the mix.

I totally agree, it looks like too many times umpires like to be seen when the best ones are never noticed and the games run smoothly. We had an official who was known to call illegal pitches and he was ususally right and plus he was fair and consistant. We then had an head official tell him to stop calling illegal pitches because they were geting too many phone calls and complaints. To me this is absurd the man was doing his job by the book and because we got coaches that got upset or did'nt understand the game enough to know how to correct the problem the went and whined to SCHSL. The kids cant learn if we don't correct their mistakes. Just be consistent form the beginning of the season to the Championships!

because we got coaches that got upset or did'nt understand the game enough to know how to correct the problem
Let me know when you find the coach that can correct that problem! I don't know one high school coach that is capable. If it was that darn easy you wouldn't see a national team level college coach pitcher get called 13 times illegal in one game. They probably could've called 100. There are VERY few pitchers that are 100% legal.

NAJ,
You are speaking in terms most of us don' t understand. My pitchers at Hillcrest never had that problem. :))))))

Jacket ......

I concurr. Most Umpires, Coaches do it as second income.

I'm guessing, the umpires from Wed. , are thinking, it's not worth all this!

Razr

Well if you are implying that bluffton as the host team of game 2 on Wednesday didn't have umps with integrity then you apparently weren't at the 1st game on Monday held at Byrnes! The ump behind home plate was NOT consistent with his calls - the saying goes "what's called for one should be called for the other"! That didn't happen! And the biggest problem of all at game 1 was the HARRASSMENT of the Blufton outfielders by the Byrnes fans! NO PLAYER OFANY SPORT SHOULD BE HARRASSED! That game should be replayed for the simple HARRASSMENT alone. But it was interesting to watch in game 2, the Byrnes coach coming out complaining about everything from the very start of the game! Heck she even complained about the stats book! From the get go she did not want to be at Bluffton's field because she wasn't cozy with our County's umps so she nit-picked EVERY LITTLE THING like a big baby!!! And their pitcher even complained that the ump wasn't giving her the 12 - 15 inches on the outside of the plate- I guess that just goes to show that she hasn't realized every ump has their own strike zone! Perhaps the upper state umps give her what she wants so she bely ached when she came to Bluffton! Just cry me a river! It seems that none of you understand there are rules in life and for sports which are SUPPOSED to be followed by everyone and applied to everyone equally, but when the rules are not even followed by the people who make them up, what is the point? The batter for Byrnes was ejected and if the rule is that she should have been ejected for the final game then that is what should have happened! It's no ones fault but Byrnes for not having any more pitchers but once again the complete rule was NOT enforced! So that makes it obvious to everyone who the SCHSL wants to win!

Every pitcher knows they have to drag their back foot and NOT "hop" - unfortunately most umpires won't call illegal pitches for crow hopping and so the pitchers just keep continuing to crow hop and then are completely surprised when they are called for it! Even their coaches fake surprise when their pitcher is caught even though the coaches know the rule also!

These kids dream of this moment all there lives its sad
they can't go out there and just play the game they love
Without all the drama

I would be willing to bet that the girls from both sides ARE going to go out there and play the game/games with all their hearts drama free and the best they know how and leave all the drama to the adults on this message board. It is what it is, rulings have been made and we will have a state champ soon. Who ever it is Byrnes or Bluffton will have earned it on the field. Give it a rest and PLAY BALL.

The umpires last night in Spring Valley were top shelf, and on their game. The most important call, only talked about here, is when the decision was made to suspend play after the 3rd inning. Under the guise of "lightning reported within 10 miles" play ceased. Had it not, from the timing of the rain, it would have came in the 5th inning. Heavens forbid. Though many on this board will sift through the rule books and find something wrong here. They got this very important call made exactly right.

The atmosphere was electric with a near packed house.

The players were hyped, gritty, tough and proud. There was no drama, except for the necessary drama to gut out a base hit, bear down on an important strike, or make that key defensive play.

Byrnes up 1-0 after 3. Now suspended to rain, to be resumed at 4P in South Aiken.

Spring Valley was a terrific host.

This post was edited on 5/24 11:19 AM by BS100

Originally posted by Burlas20:
Every pitcher knows they have to drag their back foot and NOT "hop" - unfortunately most umpires won't call illegal pitches for crow hopping and so the pitchers just keep continuing to crow hop and then are completely surprised when they are called for it! Even their coaches fake surprise when their pitcher is caught even though the coaches know the rule also!
OK you know the rules? Explain crow hop. I have only seen a a slim number of pitchers actually violate this rule yet I hear fans yelling for crow hops constantly. I have seen most of the pitchers in the state finals and nobody should be throwing rocks for another teams pitcher being illegal.

It seems you don't watch much softball- crow hopping or hopping is when the pitcher does NOT drag her back foot but "HOPS" off- I have seen plenty of pitchers "hopping" and when they do their pitches come in a lot faster because of their momentum of "hopping" whereas, when they have to "DRAG" their back foot they have problems. Unfortunately, umpires aren't watching the pitchers they are in the ozone watching the batters. As I stated before there are rules in every sport and we expect the umpires to enforce the rules on everyone equally, no matter where the teams are from. Umpires are NOT supposed to have any agenda (like which team they want to win) when they officiate a sport - they are, supposed to enforce the rules for EVERYONE EQUALLY!!

Originally posted by Burlas20:
It seems you don't watch much softball- crow hopping or hopping is when the pitcher does NOT drag her back foot but "HOPS" off- I have seen plenty of pitchers "hopping" and when they do their pitches come in a lot faster because of their momentum of "hopping" whereas, when they have to "DRAG" their back foot they have problems. Unfortunately, umpires aren't watching the pitchers they are in the ozone watching the batters. As I stated before there are rules in every sport and we expect the umpires to enforce the rules on everyone equally, no matter where the teams are from. Umpires are NOT supposed to have any agenda (like which team they want to win) when they officiate a sport - they are, supposed to enforce the rules for EVERYONE EQUALLY!!
Yeah you right never seen a game in my life. What you have seen is not what you think. Would you like me to copy the rule for you? What you are calling hopping is leaping. Crow hop reguires a replant and push off from a new area. (Not a retouch in another area).
This post was edited on 5/25 12:23 AM by NA_JACKET

^ add to above I have no problem with the rules being the rule but if you are going to call it on a girl that leaps a foot you also have to call it on the girl that barely does it say 6 inches. Trust me you don't want that.
This post was edited on 5/25 12:30 AM by NA_JACKET

Jacket, relax and chill. You know there is no way they have a clue what they are talking about. The last time I checked "crow hopping" was done in the outfield, not from the circle. They also seem to have the misconception that the officials are hired by the schools, when we also know the schools have little to no input on who calls the games, especially in the playoffs.
As coaches we can request that certain officials NOT call our games, but we cannot dictate who does call them.

On the Bluffton / Byrnes games, I have not seen them so I don't know exactly who did or did not do what, but I would be very surprised if either coach or team got too far across the line at this point of the season.

Originally posted by LeftyTosser:
The last time I checked "crow hopping" was done in the outfield, not from the circle.
Good one! I think it can be taught but someone might say its a unfair advantage.

Jacket has spent more money for gate fees at $5-7 a day than most people have on a new car.

Know who you're arguing with people.

As for the byrnes coach arguing the call.....this is freaking softball (you can include baseball too here) and that's what happens on a diamond. Umps make bad calls....really bad calls get arguments from good coaches. If I was an AD and my coach didn't GEF ejected at least once every 100 games I'd fire them for not arguing enough.

The players being heckled should have been handled by administration and not the umps if it was a bad problem

Congrats to byrnes on their title. Well fought season
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I sure hope you feel better now. That rant went on so long I couldn't even get through it all. You might want to try reading a softball rule book instead of trying to find a softball rule in the SCHSL constitution. Ball, strikes, pass balls, etc. are judgement calls. That means it is up to the umpire to make a call. Right or wrong, it is their call. Just as a separate FYI, it doesn't matter if the runner at 1B was stealing, it is the base they have achieved not the one they left. So if the runner was not on 2B at the time the ball was dropped, then the batter is out.

On a separate note, try using paragraphs during a long winded diatribe rather than going on and on and on and on.

Originally posted by LeftyTosser:
I sure hope you feel better now. That rant went on so long I couldn't even get through it all. You might want to try reading a softball rule book instead of trying to find a softball rule in the SCHSL constitution. Ball, strikes, pass balls, etc. are judgement calls. That means it is up to the umpire to make a call. Right or wrong, it is their call. Just as a separate FYI, it doesn't matter if the runner at 1B was stealing, it is the base they have achieved not the one they left. So if the runner was not on 2B at the time the ball was dropped, then the batter is out.

On a separate note, try using paragraphs during a long winded diatribe rather than going on and on and on and on.
The only real problem to me was calling the player out that ran to first. I would like to see that rule in writing. Not sure there is one.

Burlas, I didn't even get halfway through. When folks get all worked up over something they obviously don't seem to understand the rules on, it might be time to give them a hand. Just helpin' a brother out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT