ADVERTISEMENT

How to get noticed

Apr 2, 2015
My daughter is a freshman in high school and plays school ball. I am needing to know how to get college coaches to notice her. She plays travel ball also. We are supposed to play in college showcases this summer. But is that enough? Should we go to college camps? She had a batting average last year of .350 RBI 30 with 121 TAB and only 2 errors the whole varsity season last year and she was only in the 8th grade. Please let me know how I can get her noticed.
This post was edited on 4/2 6:08 PM by sb34

College camps are very important part of the recruiting process . But playing for the right travel program , that play in the right tournaments doesn't hurt .

I forgot to mention , get her to e-mail the coach with her tournament schedules .Let her put it into her own words on why the school is a good fit for her . Leave contact info for her coaches (travel , high school , hitting , pitching , etc. ). Some coach like short video clips.

Go Elite!!!!

Camps are good but a camp with 75 prospects or more make it hard to stand out. No coaching staff can watch that many players closely. Some of the smaller schools have smaller numbers of campers. Some schools like Charleston Southern do a good bit of their recruiting from their camps. Most of the other instate schools are out hitting the tournaments hard. The travel team that plays the right schedule is important. Most teams in the older age groups claim to play college showcases but those aren't all equal. Some showcases have no coaches show up because they don't draw the best teams to them. This is a area where the parents should do as much research on a team as possible. There is plenty information on the internet about any top program. If you attend a camp ask the coaches about those programs. Normally they will give you good ideas.

Make videos. Post them at a place like Youtube. Make one for offense and one for defense. If she pitches, make one for that. Sets of ten should do it. For pitching, sets of 5 for each pitch will probably do it. Quick reps for all. Have the camera run continuously with no editing other than displaying what the next group of pitches are for pitchers... that can be edited in later. Running the camera from behind the catcher works well for defense/pitching and from the side for hitting. Having a radar gun in the other hand doesn't hurt either. Make the videos as short and sweet as possible. Include links to videos with emails to schools she's interested in getting an education at.
I've made a few of these videos in the past with good results. Good luck to ya.

All good suggestions.

The overriding element to get any player noticed is the level of her play. If she is good enough, she will be noticed.

Any career decision should be fundamentally based of what makes the player better. Talent gets noticed in SC. Though there are better ways to get noticed, and put your player in the front.

It is the ability to stand out and above the other players on the field. Always remember that fact. Being thankful, and humble goes a long way.

Playing for the RIGHT travel team makes a huge difference. (learned this first hand) As well, you must have a coach that is willing to do his/her part in communicating with the college coaches, and one that will get your DD playing in the right tournaments that draw the coaches. All showcases are NOT the same. DD must also do her part in emailing the coaches at the schools that interest her....this is not the parents job to email the college coaches. The coaches want to hear from the player!! Have your DD make a list of 10 schools she in interested. Tell her to have 2 or 3 dream schools, and 7 or 8 realistic schools. If all her schools are big SEC type schools, that's not always realistic, athletically or academically. (plus they recruit very early) But make sure they also have the courses she wants to study.....academics have to be a larger part of where she attends college. If your DD has the right name on the front of her jersey, and does her part, she will get noticed!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT