ADVERTISEMENT

More Legion Pitch Count Stories

COHAZE

Five Star Prospect
Nov 12, 2004
The Inman Legion pitcher threw 133 pitches last night. If you've followed Inman Legion over the years you know that such pitch counts are very common there. Sadly, the record pitch count at Inman is far higher than 133. Of course, the coach there doesn't count changeups, so that makes it okay.

I went to another Spartanburg game last week. I did not get an official count, but the reliever that came on in the second had to be 130+.

The one guy has been doing it for 20+ years. He simply does not know any better. And he's the type that cannot be educated. All he knows is rub some dirt on it and keep throwing. Don't get me wrong. He knows a lot of baseball and is a good game coach. He's just stuck in the stone age when it comes to arm health. The people that keep bringing him back are non-baseball people that know even less.

The other guy is in his first year. But, he had been out of baseball for 20 years, and it shows when you watch him trying to coach third base. And based on the way he uses pitchers, he obviously has not kept up with pitching injuries, pitch counts, etc. during his 20 years away from the game. I have no idea why he was even hired. There were other far more qualified candidates. Baffling. The AD is a good guy, but really doesn't understand.

cohaze, I know this is a crazy question that we all know the answer to, but why is AL not protecting players by setting limits? My oldest son was asked a couple of years to play legion ball. It is situations like these that kept him from playing. Long games and clueless coaching doesn't help the young men that are headed off to college to play.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT