ADVERTISEMENT

NOISEMAKERS, BAND ETC - ANSWER

GS194

Two Year Starter
Jan 22, 2015
Closest I can find to being legitimate answer for High School Softball in SC.

From the Crowd Control Prcedures Manual located on the SCHSL web site. Page 12 of manual.

" Noisemakers and drunkenness should not be permitted."
http://www.schsl.org/

The question to be addressed here is: “Does constant banging and yelling from an
opponent’s dugout, drumming, horn blowing and overall fan noise during the time of a
team’s defensive time on the field violate the code of Good Sportsmanship?

From Page 10 of the SCHSL Handbook:
“SPORTSMANSHIP - STATEMENT OF POLICY The State Athletic Administrators
Association has joined with the League's Executive Committee in continuing to
emphasize the urgent need for impeccable sportsmanship by our players, coaches,
and fans. Good sportsmanship and good conduct go hand in hand with high school
athletics. Athletic administrators, coaches, players, and officials have the greatest
responsibility to see that conduct and sportsmanship are at the highest level possible.
Players must be held accountable for their actions and be taught what is acceptable
and what is not. Actions by individuals to call attention to themselves are a distraction
to any game and are counterproductive to the high school philosophy of promoting a
total team concept.”

Webster’s definition of “Baiting”: deliberately annoy or taunt (someone). (not in the
SCHSL manual)

“Baiting and taunting must be eliminated totally from all athletic activities. It should
be the goal of everyone to have the outcome of each contest determined by athletic
skills and hard work and to never let baiting and taunting or other negative actions be
a factor. Examples of baiting and taunting are: finger pointing, shooting motions to
imply superiority, gestures with obscene connotations, excessive talking to distract or
intimidate. This will also include signs or flags used to incite spectators and interfere
with the orderly flow of the game. The above list is not complete but it should give
enough direction to coaches and officials to reach agreement on the kinds of conduct
that must be eliminated. It will take a concerted effort, but we are convinced that we
can keep interscholastic sports as the greatest perpetuator of sportsmanship in
athletics today.”

From Page 11
“The South Carolina High School League expects that all persons representing a
member school shall treat their opponents with respect and courtesy and anything
less is unacceptable.
UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT Unsportsmanlike acts that take place at the site of an
interscholastic contest are League matters.”
From Page 12: (Disciplinary actions are listed here.)” Violation of any of the above
policies will warrant League discipline for the school or individual.”

Based on the explanation given in the section relative to “baiting and taunting” one
could argue that the opposing team’s coach has the right to speak to the umpire about
the egregious behavior coming from the dugout and the opposing team’s fans. The
umpire has the full authority of the SCHSL to issue a warning or impose other league
actions.

Rules or no rules, folks, does it not come down to the “respect for the other person”
and not teaching our young people to “win at any cost” that we need to be addressing?

When I go to a softball game, I as a fan, want to watch the girls play (both sides). I
want it to be an enjoyable time spent supporting my particular team and grandchild.
With all the noise and distractions at Clover, I came away with not an appreciation for
any talent that may have been on exhibit but a throbbing headache. If you have a
great team, you don’t need all this extraneous stuff to win a game. “Respect and
courtesy: anything less is unacceptable.”

Reactions: BS100
Thank you taxguru2. The team in question had all the talent and experience to get there on their own. It was their fans choice and now part of their fans history.

Now it is time to move forward, not back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT