ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Weekend

Eagle Hater 3333

Bench Warmer
Jan 6, 2017
What were the surprises? Thoughts on things that need to be improved overall for the tournanent?

1- I'll say what I said earlier. More seating needed. It did feel like they turned the a/c on yesterday.

2- please give out medals starting at the end of 113. One weight class at a time.

Yup. I have some thoughts. I've been to the last 4 state tournaments. This is the first state tournament that had that much booing. Can anyone guess why that much booing? The ref's!! There are some good refs in this state. Some I like a lot, some I detest the sight of. Even the best refs make a bad call but some it's just all day and night. You all know what I'm talking about also.

First thing the shitty refs should understand is that they we're at a wrestling tournament, not a damn track meet!!! When you call stalling in the first period and nothing changes for the entire match, call it. DAMN!!!! What are you idiots thinking? Tall old guy with glasses you are pathetic. You should pay someone for every breath you steal from all of us. At least when your sorry ass gets to ref the state tournament refresh your decrepit memory on wrestling rules. You're a shitty ref in the Dutch fork area and Should never be allowed in the state tournament again.

The moron that came up with the penalize the Coaches for questioning a judgement call should never ref again and never be allowed to make decisions. what kind of nonsense is that? It's like you want to hurry and get the most important tournament over in a hurry. Why? You tie the coaches hands for protecting their wrestlers. How freaking stupid?? When an idiot makes a judgment call that don't know how to wrestle then you generally make a bad judgment call but let's not let the coaches question that. Some of you refs get to throw your weight around for a weekend and it just goes to your head. I can only imagine what your day job is. Bubba trying to run all the coaches and wrestlers out of the waiting area all evening Friday. WTH? Your ass should have been doing some thing more useful for the wrestlers. Most of the better refs were supervisors of the tournament. Now that's lame. Get your asses on the mat and help the sorry ass refs and stop punishing the real workers " the wrestlers".

The bad thing is, the bad refs reflect more negatively on this sport than the good ones do positively. I've never had words with a ref but last night made me see that most of you refs dont care about the true meaning of this sport and only want a paycheck for penalizing he wrestler to only reward the track stars (stalling if you need clarification).

In my opinion the refs turned this tournament into a fiasco and made a joke of the sport. It's truly sad that most of you really screwed up this tournament.

Last edited:
Reactions: wrestlerhardhead
We had some friends visiting whose kids wrestle in GA and both placed in GA state this year. I was embarrassed by our refs, they could not believe some of the calls and lack of calls. I agree that the ref with the glasses from the middle of the state is bad, I can handle bad calls, everyone makes them but his arrogance is what bothers me the most.
Since we are on that subject, if you are a referee in this state and your main motivation is the extra money you can make, then please do us all a favor and go ref rec basketball. These kids work too hard, often year round for several years in order to have a chance to accomplish their goals and I have seen to many refs who are in it for the paycheck blow a call and cost a kid something he has worked for years to accomplish. If you are going to ref, love the sport, learn the sport, and study the sport.

The coaches getting a misconduct automatically for asking for a clarification on a call is just stupid. I wish we could bring in top refs from neighboring states for the state tournament. You would still have bad calls from time to time that people may disagree with but you do away with the personality issues of refs and coachs and previous conflicts.

Last edited:
How many future years is the tournament on the hook for Anderson? A larger facility with 8-mat floorspace (at the minimum), adequate restroom facilities and supplies, and multiple concession areas is needed. If we are locked into Anderson for X future years, now is the time to start looking for a larger venue. Does anyone know the available floorspace for the Anderson facility?

Just so everyone knows, if a coach questions a judgement call, it's an automatic misconduct on the coach. That isn't just for states, it's in the rule book. If a coach asks for clarification it is not. Now a coach can ask for clarification and end up turning it in to questioning the call. Either way, it's tough for coaches. Hard to fight for your kids when you know you are gonna get dinged for misconduct.

My biggest complaint is the Asst ref thing. I can't tell you how many times time was out on a mat and wrestling kept going. It's not the head refs fault. The Asst is supposed to be in his ear saying 4, 3, 2, 1. I saw a lot of matches where they were trying to figure out if something happened before time was out because Asst wasn't doing his job. I felt like a lot of the times the guys that were asst refs were just spectators with a great seat. As an Asst if you see something, you need to say it. If a guy is moving on the start, say it. If you think a guy had control say it. Talk to the other ref. He is supposed to have a different angle than the head ref and might see something he doesn't

Reactions: etmox1
Just so everyone knows, if a coach questions a judgement call, it's an automatic misconduct on the coach. That isn't just for states, it's in the rule book. If a coach asks for clarification it is not. Now a coach can ask for clarification and end up turning it in to questioning the call. Either way, it's tough for coaches. Hard to fight for your kids when you know you are gonna get dinged for misconduct.

My biggest complaint is the Asst ref thing. I can't tell you how many times time was out on a mat and wrestling kept going. It's not the head refs fault. The Asst is supposed to be in his ear saying 4, 3, 2, 1. I saw a lot of matches where they were trying to figure out if something happened before time was out because Asst wasn't doing his job. I felt like a lot of the times the guys that were asst refs were just spectators with a great seat. As an Asst if you see something, you need to say it. If a guy is moving on the start, say it. If you think a guy had control say it. Talk to the other ref. He is supposed to have a different angle than the head ref and might see something he doesn't

You are right about the assistant being spectators. Those guys SHOULD be able to make a call instead of being a walking vagina out there watching. It's ridiculous that they can let another ref completely screw up a match. They are completely incompetent to be a ref. They are too prideful to ask for help. Too afraid they will appear to be an even bigger vagina.

We should get out of state refs to do this from now on especially since we can't depend on our own refs to do it correctly. You guys are despicable!!!!

Also Anderson is a terrible venue for this. Not enough seats, stupid ass bubba ref running everyone away from the mat sides that was already out of the way. Plus you didn't turn on the AC until Saturday or was it broken also? Seats felt filthy.

There are a few great refs in this state. I did say a few. The other 90% should quit!!! If you don't want to lose your $60 a match, then learn how to do your job and concentrate on the wrestlers not your pride or pocketbook. I can't express enough how much you screwed this weekend up.

Also the the judgment call thing. By putting that in the rule book you leave all control to the ref that is supposed to make the right call. Most of them does not know how to do that obviously and that rule is there for them to vagina out of the confrontation with a coach. It should be removed and they should explain all judgment calls to the letter. Especially if the call is outside the realm of the rule book. All that does is allows them to make up their own rules.

I actually heard a ref at upperstate tell a coach that he was not allowed to bring a rule book to the scoring table, that he would not look at it during a match.

I actually heard a ref at upperstate tell a coach that he was not allowed to bring a rule book to the scoring table, that he would not look at it during a match.

I actually heard a head ref at upperstate tell another ref to never bring his rule book out at a match.

I'm not saying all the refs are bad. We do have some really good refs. I really believe that. I think they try to do the best they can. I understand calls are missed. We are all human. I wouldn't want to be on that side because one group will love you and one will hate you depending on your call. I get that. My problem is when you have two out there and the other is never used. Why have them?

I'm not saying all the refs are bad. We do have some really good refs. I really believe that. I think they try to do the best they can. I understand calls are missed. We are all human. I wouldn't want to be on that side because one group will love you and one will hate you depending on your call. I get that. My problem is when you have two out there and the other is never used. Why have them?

No they are not all bad. The good refs know who the bad ones are and they should do something about them. If they start doing that, then maybe this shit will end.

How many future years is the tournament on the hook for Anderson? A larger facility with 8-mat floorspace (at the minimum), adequate restroom facilities and supplies, and multiple concession areas is needed. If we are locked into Anderson for X future years, now is the time to start looking for a larger venue. Does anyone know the available floorspace for the Anderson facility?

How is going to be paid for? Are we going to force a college venue to host it? Anderson CC is the site because they do the event for next to nothing. USC wants too much $$$$ to host it (last I heard and this was like 6 years ago was USC wanted close to $20k up front just to reserve the Colonial Life Arena). Furman was the last collegiate venue to host and they bowed out.

What other non-collegiate sites across the state have the capacity to host and are willing to do it as a the lowest bidder? Start listing them.

The SCHSL was presented with an unbelievable business plan to take the tournament somewhere else. Got shot down. There are places that want to host it but that would mean SCHSL would have to do a little more. They don't want to. They were even told that if they lost money it would be covered. They said no go.

I'm sure that is frustrating for the coaches that care and work hard to improve/try to improve the product in SC. Frustrating that SCHSL would stand in the way of the progress, but not surprising, as it seems from the youth level up to even HS, there are people preventing the progress!

The SCHSL was presented with an unbelievable business plan to take the tournament somewhere else. Got shot down. There are places that want to host it but that would mean SCHSL would have to do a little more. They don't want to. They were even told that if they lost money it would be covered. They said no go.

This whole state should be made to start over with new people from the SCHSL to the Refs Association. Both are responsible for the shit that went on this past weekend.

Butler you're right, if they wanted success in this state they would be listening and try to improve. If something don't change, next year will be worse. Their attitude is get em in, get em out, make more money. Forget about the time the wrestlers and coaches spend working with these kids. It doesn't matter two refs per mat finds every way to F up a match.

My kid was on deck after I think it was Pendleton and Indian Land wrestling (106 or 113 I believe). The official on this mat gave a locking hands WARNING!!!! I have never in my life heard of that. If you locked hands you locked hands. It took a bunch of fans and coaches standing nearby to yell to the Pendleton coach that's not a warning call.

My complaint is the Peterson calls...... You will have refs call a reversal as soon as the roll or flip occurs and immediately start swipes... You will then have others wait for a few seconds to give 2 and count swipes... Then you have others who will wait, and wait, and wait, then start swipes without ever awarding the reversal... I saw numerous Petersons this weekend all called different ways. One of which cost a kid a state title because a reversal was given and then removed. I didn't have a dog in that fight but it's heart wrenching to see a match end on a call reversal like that where no one can tell you why that was or was not a reversal.

My complaint is the Peterson calls...... You will have refs call a reversal as soon as the roll or flip occurs and immediately start swipes... You will then have others wait for a few seconds to give 2 and count swipes... Then you have others who will wait, and wait, and wait, then start swipes without ever awarding the reversal... I saw numerous Petersons this weekend all called different ways. One of which cost a kid a state title because a reversal was given and then removed. I didn't have a dog in that fight but it's heart wrenching to see a match end on a call reversal like that where no one can tell you why that was or was not a reversal.

I saw the same exact thing and it sickens me. But the lack of stalling calls infuriates me. These refs should do better. But their lack of being a good ref is obviously a learned trait in the SC ref-ing world.

THIS!!!!

Reactions: BuckkillerSC

According to a post on FB (take it for what it's worth, it's from the winners dad). Peterson is not a two point reversal unless there was near fall criteria. Two should have never been awarded.

I also hate the difference in the way the same moves are officiated. Freaking ridiculous! Have multiple clinics through the year and cover all these topics we are bitching about! We need change.

Well then there was a match on mat two where the reversal was awarded but no nearfall ... I guess it depends on which guy in stripes you get and how scared he is to make a call because he is not sure of the rules himself ...

As far as the name issues, that falls solely on me. That was the result of running the tournament on two different softwares and me not comparing back to the main software. It is the one thing I am most upset with this weekend.

I started helping run this tournament because of the lack of coverage these phenomenal athletes were receiving at this level. I do this for the love of the sport and the kids who dedicate their time/life to it...they deserve the exposure and recognition we are trying to get them. If there is one thing I am most upset with from the weekend...it is the screw ups with the names.

To Gustavo Pardo and his family...I am sincerely sorry for the mistake I made in the announcement of his Championship match. I guarantee you, for as long as I am involved in running this event, that will never happen again.

Also, apologies to the 2 3A champions we incorrectly announced after their finals wins. We will do all we can to improve ourselves in this regards in the future.

These mistakes had nothing to do with the SCHSL, they were solely my mistakes...and trust me, nobody feels worse than me about them...these athletes deserve better!!!

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
Well then there was a match on mat two where the reversal was awarded but no nearfall ... I guess it depends on which guy in stripes you get and how scared he is to make a call because he is not sure of the rules himself ...

Exactly and that's the biggest issue!!! Same moves, different rulings! My favorite was the locking hands warning!!!!

I know i have no business in this conversation as i'm in college. but on the Christopher and Wilkins match was a great call by the refs. Wilkins had his arm around his waist and was technically in control. Smart call, give the refs some credit. Also Christopher is a great sport and didn't complain. and also to the Byrnes guy booing a freshman, grow up man the kid didn't make the call.

As far as the name issues, that falls solely on me. That was the result of running the tournament on two different softwares and me not comparing back to the main software. It is the one thing I am most upset with this weekend.

I started helping run this tournament because of the lack of coverage these phenomenal athletes were receiving at this level. I do this for the love of the sport and the kids who dedicate their time/life to it...they deserve the exposure and recognition we are trying to get them. If there is one thing I am most upset with from the weekend...it is the screw ups with the names.

To Gustavo Pardo and his family...I am sincerely sorry for the mistake I made in the announcement of his Championship match. I guarantee you, for as long as I am involved in running this event, that will never happen again.

Also, apologies to the 2 3A champions we incorrectly announced after their finals wins. We will do all we can to improve ourselves in this regards in the future.

These mistakes had nothing to do with the SCHSL, they were solely my mistakes...and trust me, nobody feels worse than me about them...these athletes deserve better!!!

So who is responsible for piss poor refs there? Who decides which refs will come to screw up call after call? Who makes that decision? If you loved the sport that much, you would do something about the ref's. The only way you can improve this tournament is a complete change in how everything is performed. Year after year the same bullshit with the same complaints is not an improvement. Everything that happened this year will happen next year. That's just a fact so don't say it will never happen again because it will. Everything will remain the same because SCHSL does not want it to be better and the ref's just want an easy paycheck. You are right about one thing. THE ATHLETES DESERVE BETTER AS WELL AS THE COACHES!!!!!!!

According to a post on FB (take it for what it's worth, it's from the winners dad). Peterson is not a two point reversal unless there was near fall criteria. Two should have never been awarded.

I also hate the difference in the way the same moves are officiated. Freaking ridiculous! Have multiple clinics through the year and cover all these topics we are bitching about! We need change.

I made this comment in another thread but one of our great officials was at the Super 32 this past year to actually learn something about making better calls. He was shocked at how fast stalling was called at a "high level tournament". WELL, if you are at that level then it should be call much faster, right? RIGHT, it should. So if you are in the championship round and you are backing out or running a marathon then you should be hit with stalling immediately. And should continue to be hit with stalling until you change or disqualified. The tall old ass ref with glasses you don't know what stalling is or know how to call it. You blew so many matches this weekend it's ridiculous. If you go to a big tournament to learn how to be an official, at least learn something. God all mighty,this shit make me mad as hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So who is responsible for piss poor refs there? Who decides which refs will come to screw up call after call? Who makes that decision? If you loved the sport that much, you would do something about the ref's. The only way you can improve this tournament is a complete change in how everything is performed. Year after year the same bullshit with the same complaints is not an improvement. Everything that happened this year will happen next year. That's just a fact so don't say it will never happen again because it will. Everything will remain the same because SCHSL does not want it to be better and the ref's just want an easy paycheck. You are right about one thing. THE ATHLETES DESERVE BETTER AS WELL AS THE COACHES!!!!!!!
BuckKiller...you are right about many things in your post, but ya need to chill on the officials and Todd Polly thing.
There are some GREAT officials at that tournament. There are also some who should not be there. There were some mind boggling calls made...yes!
If we lose some of those really good officials and a guy like Polly, we are then in really deep s***. he has NOTHING to do with officials.
So, granted there are problems, but we need to address those problems independently and not paint it all with the same brush.

Buck, I do not know the answer to your question on the refs...it is not me is all I can say to that.

In regards to same thing happening in the future...I stood up and took responsibility for the one thing in my control that I screwed up and that was the screw up with the names. That is the only thing I said I will guarantee will not happen in the future. All the other things in this thread are not in my control.

As long as we are at the Civic Center, I will work with those that control those things to make it better in the future. The one thing I know I will suggest is going to a 4 mat square for the finals next year with the mat tables on the matsides out of the fans view.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem with Todd, a few names being messed up is not a problem to me, and we do have some good refs, my only problem with the good ones is they never seem willing to call out the bad ones ... Too much of a club mentality in the group, the good refs need to call some of these others out.

BuckKiller...you are right about many things in your post, but ya need to chill on the officials and Todd Polly thing.
There are some GREAT officials at that tournament. There are also some who should not be there. There were some mind boggling calls made...yes!
If we lose some of those really good officials and a guy like Polly, we are then in really deep s***. he has NOTHING to do with officials.
So, granted there are problems, but we need to address those problems independently and not paint it all with the same brush.

For one,I do not need to chill on the officials thing. They screwed up many calls this weekend. The really good officials should step forward and do something about the shitty ones. I agree we have some good ones but the bad ones are making all of them look bad.
And you are right, they should be addressed and very soon. Maybe most are just fed up with the crap and this year is what has sent all of us over the edge.

I don't have a problem with Todd, a few names being messed up is not a problem to me, and we do have some good refs, my only problem with the good ones is they never seem willing to call out the bad ones ... Too much of a club mentality in the group, the good refs need to call some of these others out.

Right on with this. You good refs should be calling these shitty ones out. it's your job to do so. I don't understand it.

I know i have no business in this conversation as i'm in college. but on the Christopher and Wilkins match was a great call by the refs. Wilkins had his arm around his waist and was technically in control. Smart call, give the refs some credit. Also Christopher is a great sport and didn't complain. and also to the Byrnes guy booing a freshman, grow up man the kid didn't make the call.

First, I think its naive to think anyone, Byrnes or otherwise, was booing Wilkins. Anyone can see those jeers were directed at the officials. Wilkins is a stud and man does he fight in every position. He absolutely earned that win. So gritty. He's going to be so fun to watch as he physically matures even more. Future is bright for that kid no doubt.

Secondly, I'm not sure I've ever seen that as a no-call. He wasn't crossfacing him down, didn't throw a leg in. He was postured up fighting not to give up nearfall (again, because he's gritty and would rather break his arm give up an inch of position) the arm was around Christophers' waist because that is, ya know, what a Peterson looks like.

I actually can get on board with the no reversal in that situation though you see that called instantly all year long as a reversal. In my view, there was an absolute lose of control. Wilkins was not in a dominate controlling position, maybe not reversal worthy but I can't even fathom how that's not 1 escape. I think the initial argument from the RH staff was that it was in fact just one.

For me, that call was a microcosm of the year long issues I've seen with officials. It's become quite evident that the vast majority of the new crop of refs are not "wrestling guys" turned officials, they are refs and umpires from other sports trying their hand at wrestling. Our best guys are those that come from the sport, with knowledge of the sport.

Which brings me back to 5A 126. After all that intrigue and drama, the ref had an out but didn't take it. Nobody would have argued that as a one point escape which, by the rule book, seems to have been what the right call would have been since no nearfall were ever counted. Let these two kids, that battled hard for 6 minutes in some pretty wild scrambles and continuous wrestling, figure it out themselves. Send it to OT and let the best match of the night be figured out on the mat in a clean fashion. It speaks to not having wrestling guys in the position. Know the situation.

I attended 2 or 3 of the finals events when my nephew was wrestling and every year the same issues were obvious. Fast forward 3 yrs. to now and the issues are still the same. Until you guys put your foot down and force the SCHSL to make some changes this cycle will continue. Yes, I'm an outsider but I call it the way I see it. The location absolutely sucks out loud. Unless you're getting it for free, move! Heck form a coaches committee, ask former wrestlers for input, find sponsors, break away from the SCHSL and form your own finals tourney. You want outside refs? Go get them. You've got 12 months to figure it out. Make it the best of the best and crown your champions. It'll make the SCHSL tourney obsolete and all the true wrestling followers and fans will know who the REAL champions are. Trust me, there are HS gyms in the area that are better than the civic center. As an Anderson county tax payer who knows that place is always in the red and makes no $$$ I think the wrestling tourney might be the only thing keeping that dump open. I'm sure I'll piss you guys off but dang it's the same crap every year. It's not going to change until you force the change. Best of luck to you. I know you guys are really passionate about your sport as you should be.

I attended 2 or 3 of the finals events when my nephew was wrestling and every year the same issues were obvious. Fast forward 3 yrs. to now and the issues are still the same. Until you guys put your foot down and force the SCHSL to make some changes this cycle will continue. Yes, I'm an outsider but I call it the way I see it. The location absolutely sucks out loud. Unless you're getting it for free, move! Heck form a coaches committee, ask former wrestlers for input, find sponsors, break away from the SCHSL and form your own finals tourney. You want outside refs? Go get them. You've got 12 months to figure it out. Make it the best of the best and crown your champions. It'll make the SCHSL tourney obsolete and all the true wrestling followers and fans will know who the REAL champions are. Trust me, there are HS gyms in the area that are better than the civic center. As an Anderson county tax payer who knows that place is always in the red and makes no $$$ I think the wrestling tourney might be the only thing keeping that dump open. I'm sure I'll piss you guys off but dang it's the same crap every year. It's not going to change until you force the change. Best of luck to you. I know you guys are really passionate about your sport as you should be.

Thank you Bulldog!! The more truth that is spoken, maybe more will listen. Plus we all are already pissed off. Just not at you..lol We appreciate the truth.

Swollen1, can you please elaborate more on this and share it with D11. Actually we all would love to hear more on this, especially if the SCHSL isn't willing to help make our sport a priority like we want it to be.

Unfortunately the SCHSL is a necessary evil and have to be involved with any sanctioned state championships I believe. We need to work on some "creative" ways to convince the SCHSL to do a better job when it comes to wrestling. Anyone have mob ties up north?

Unfortunately the SCHSL is a necessary evil and have to be involved with any sanctioned state championships I believe. We need to work on some "creative" ways to convince the SCHSL to do a better job when it comes to wrestling. Anyone have mob ties up north?

If you only knew my thoughts of the mob ties....... lol

In the case of the Peterson call, generally once the former offensive wrestler begins fighting nearfall... bridge etc... a reversal is awarded.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT