ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on the Weekend

First, I think its naive to think anyone, Byrnes or otherwise, was booing Wilkins. Anyone can see those jeers were directed at the officials. Wilkins is a stud and man does he fight in every position. He absolutely earned that win. So gritty. He's going to be so fun to watch as he physically matures even more. Future is bright for that kid no doubt.

Secondly, I'm not sure I've ever seen that as a no-call. He wasn't crossfacing him down, didn't throw a leg in. He was postured up fighting not to give up nearfall (again, because he's gritty and would rather break his arm give up an inch of position) the arm was around Christophers' waist because that is, ya know, what a Peterson looks like.

I actually can get on board with the no reversal in that situation though you see that called instantly all year long as a reversal. In my view, there was an absolute lose of control. Wilkins was not in a dominate controlling position, maybe not reversal worthy but I can't even fathom how that's not 1 escape. I think the initial argument from the RH staff was that it was in fact just one.

For me, that call was a microcosm of the year long issues I've seen with officials. It's become quite evident that the vast majority of the new crop of refs are not "wrestling guys" turned officials, they are refs and umpires from other sports trying their hand at wrestling. Our best guys are those that come from the sport, with knowledge of the sport.

Which brings me back to 5A 126. After all that intrigue and drama, the ref had an out but didn't take it. Nobody would have argued that as a one point escape which, by the rule book, seems to have been what the right call would have been since no nearfall were ever counted. Let these two kids, that battled hard for 6 minutes in some pretty wild scrambles and continuous wrestling, figure it out themselves. Send it to OT and let the best match of the night be figured out on the mat in a clean fashion. It speaks to not having wrestling guys in the position. Know the situation.

Spot on. Send it to OT, let them compete.

Leaving the officials alone, here’s my take on what needs to be done to make our State Tournament better:

Venue:

Get it out of the Anderson Civic Center. I don’t know of any coach or wrestling fan who likes it there. There’s no space to warm up, no separation of spectators and wrestlers, no separate section for wrestlers and coaches to sit, and limited bathrooms and concession stands. Having an inadequate venue leads to most of the other problems that our State Tournament is having, or at least doesn’t make it easy to run a quality event.

Format:

Being from a state that has only one individual champ, I am in favor of one Champ- SC doesn’t need four. That being said, I do understand the argument for two and like it. I had the opportunity to read the two class proposal that I believe Mike Newton was passing out, and like it. There’s some little tweaking that I would do, but it is good. We already have a one classification system set up for the Carolina Invitational, so one or two classes can be done.

I am also in favor of having a seeding criteria for the Upper/Lower State and State Tournaments. Using nothing but a winning percentage to seed the Upper/Lower State doesn’t take into account the level of competition that one has wrestled- it also doesn’t look at who wrestled who. Having kids forfeiting the consolation finals to get a better spot in the State bracket isn’t good, but the wrestlers are screwing over a system(predetermined brackets) that screws them over. Why not use a set criteria similar to what NJ does for their District, Region and State tournaments. It does a great job of separating the best wrestlers and is very fair. The link is here: http://www.njsiaa.org/sites/default/files/document/16-17 Wrestling REGIONS AND STATES_0.pdf

Presentation and Organization:

Keep the spectators in the stands. There were no coaches bands or credentials this year, and I noticed that some realized this on Saturday which resulted in a lot more people mat side that didn’t need to be there. We had that one official that it appeared his only job was to hassle coaches and wrestlers trying to warm-up, but nothing to the people who should have been in the stands. If we have a warm-up/staging area, the wrestlers and coaches can warm-up there and not head out to the mat until the match before theirs is over. This keeps the wrestling area organized, and also makes it easy for the fans to see the action. What happened with the crowd being allowed on the open mats during the finals should have never happened or been allowed. The podium should have been set up in an area that everyone could see them. The Parade of Champions before the finals is usually done better, we’ll chalk that up as a breakdown for this year.

Just a few of my ideas that I’m sure other people share with me or have stated before. I’m hoping if enough speak out something can be done. We also need to get more wrestling people in administrative positions at the school and state level to help this sport get the respect and recognition it deserves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT