ADVERTISEMENT

illegal scrimmage in the upstate

Mar 1, 2016
So I hear that there were a few 3A teams that had an illegal scrimmage this season. Even posted a big thank you online. I also hear the SC wrestling director is investigating it. Any truth to this? If it’s true, maybe a team state title should be taken away. Seems some coaches can do what they want without any consequences. Maybe this should stop. What do you guys think?

Definitely no team or no individual wrestler should be punished for this. It is a practice that a lot of teams have done in the past.

I am in favor of thoroughly discussing this for years moving forward. We need to come up with an agreement that is state wide. If it is legal then do it. If it isn't then don't. Should be as simple as that.

I understand the argument of coaches wanting to get their kids the best preparation before the individual tournament. However, I have always been a proponent of having our sport following the same rules as every other sport. I have never used the line, "well wrestling is different." We can't bitch and complain everytime we feel our sport isn't treated fairly and then turn around and say, "those rules don't apply to us because in wrestling it is different."

Examples:
1. Football team A is competing in the state championship game. They are going against a gunslinger for a QB. However, team A runs the wing t and has no passing QB threat. Team A cannot go "borrow" another good QB from another team to run the scout offense that week and give their defense a better look.

2. Baseball team A is competing against a division 1 prospect in a left handed pitcher. He is a stud. Baseball team A cannot go borrow another team's stud left handed pitcher to throw batting practice all week.

I feel wrestling should be the same. We shouldn't be able to practice with other teams during the season. That is just my thought. I believe it is what is best in the long run for the sport. I believe we should follow all rules.

As I said earlier; no coach, team, or wrestler should be penalized for this. We just need to figure out what the rules are moving forward and then enforce them.

Well said Coach Newton. I certainly respect your opinion here as much as I respect you as a coach. The bottom line here is this, it is a rule. What happens to students when they break the rules? They get punished. What happens when students see their coaches breaking the rules and thinks it’s ok to break the rules. I personally don’t believe any wrestler should be punished for this, but the coaches should be held accountable for breaking the rules.

I think Greenville County School District should be outraged by this. There should be consequences.

Your comment here Coach is right on :

“I understand the argument of coaches wanting to get their kids the best preparation before the individual tournament. However, I have always been a proponent of having our sport following the same rules as every other sport. I have never used the line, "well wrestling is different." We can't bitch and complain everytime we feel our sport isn't treated fairly and then turn around and say, "those rules don't apply to us because in wrestling it is different."

Every Coach should think this way instead of thinking they are above the rules. As great of a sport as wrestling is, breaking the rules don’t teach the wrestlers anything. Good wrestling coaches pride themselves on teaching his wrestlers how to be mentally tough, but not cocky, humble and not entitled.

I call on the state director to do something. He should make a statement that SC wrestling is going to get better the right way and put an end to what a few coaches think is ok just because of who they are.

Coaches......You should care about this. It's hurting all of you and a great sport.

Not sure what the fuss is……LOL But that team has been doing this all year, heck they’ve had other teams competing for them the whole season. Because half of their team are transfers/recruits….LOL…. Maybe all of you Greenville County Schools/Teams would get tired of this.

From the 2015 - 2016 SCHSL By-Laws - tell me what's wrong with a scrimmage. This clearly says "All Varsity Sports"...

Section 5 Inter-Team Scrimmages (Grades 9-12) A. Inter-team scrimmages in all varsity sports shall be limited to four pre-season scrimmages. Pre-season is defined as being prior to the first regular season contest.

1. An inter-team scrimmage is a scrimmage between two or more teams not composed of students of the same school.
2. Only eligible students may scrimmage.
3. A school may hold an inter-team scrimmage on the eighth day of legal practice.
4. Schools will be permitted two sub-varsity scrimmages and a jamboree. (See Middle School section for Middle School regulations.) B. In all inter-team scrimmages, the following regulations are to be observed.

1. Total time for two teams is four consecutive hours, with maximum scrimmage time of three hours. Total time for three or more teams is five consecutive hours, with maximum scrimmage time of four hours.
2. Schools may charge for one inter-team scrimmage.
3. No official will be paid a fee for services. Expenses may be paid.
4. Coaches of either team may stop play at any time for instructional purposes.

5. Officials will be used if available. If not, assistant coaches will be assigned to these duties to help prevent injuries to players. C. Member schools may charge admission for one intra-team scrimmage which shall not be counted as one of the four scrimmages outlined above.

Reactions: WrestlingLife004
I'm not sure a week ago is considered pre-season scrimmage....That is why it is against the rules. Right?

I read "scrimmage this season" in the first post. Not aware of any scrimmage last week.

Newton is right on point. We should make sure that we are doing what the other sports are required to do if we want to be treated like the other sports. We all need to make sure that we are on the same page.

If you have another team involved, it is a scrimmage. That is according to the rule stated above.

So a scrimmage a week ago had implications on the team duals several weeks ago? That makes sense.

Did two teams wrestle for the state finals? Which team won? I thought that was the beauty of wrestling. Stack your guys against mine and see who wins. The two teams wrestled and the state champ came out on top. Seems straight forward.

Wow, dleader, so I'm guessing you are ok with teams breaking the rules. It's not when it happened, it's the fact that it happened.

Wow, dleader, so I'm guessing you are ok with teams breaking the rules. It's not when it happened, it's the fact that it happened.

Not a particular fan of rule breaking but based on swutiger's post above, not sure a rule was broken unless I overlooked something.

Also not a particular fan of suggesting a team vacate a state title because of a scrimmage. The boys lined up and wrestled and a team won.

Had your team won, would this have ever come up? Doubtful, although easy to claim now that it would.

The 113/120 pounder from Dorman couldn't wrestle his state match because of a weight entry error. So basically it was against the rules so he wasn't eligible. Not any fault of his own. He would have been the 113lb state champ. So if a coach intentionally breaks the rules then a harsh punishment is well deserved.

Not a particular fan of rule breaking but based on swutiger's post above, not sure a rule was broken unless I overlooked something.

Also not a particular fan of suggesting a team vacate a state title because of a scrimmage. The boys lined up and wrestled and a team won.

Had your team won, would this have ever come up? Doubtful, although easy to claim now that it would.

I also agree that no team should lose a state title. The three teams that won were the better teams.

I do believe that we need to be on the same page moving forward. Having guys practice with other guys from other teams gives them an advantage going into individual states. If it didn't then the coaches wouldn't do it. If it didn't give them a better chance of getting better then the coaches wouldn't do it. It isn't fair to the teams that don't practice with other teams. Like I said earlier, if it is legal than do it but if it isn't then don't.

I agree Newton. From what I hear this happened after team duels. So it is what it is. But......As I stated before, Aquino couldn't wrestle in the state tournament because of a staff error. He (the wrestler) was punished for that. All of this from a clerical error...So if "coaches" break the rules intentionally, the end result are the wrestlers/teams will/should be punished. The rule has been set. How can you punish one wrestler for a staff mistake and not punish wrestlers for an intentional violation of SCHSL rules by the staff? Yep, it's a bad thing to say but can't deny that consistency is what drives good rules and laws. The SCHSL can't bend the rules for a few and expect the rest of the state to do as they say. So the "good ole boy" group should be treated just like the rest of the state. So....I say strip the individual winners of their titles, hand them down to the 2nd placers and this wont happen again. That's for sure. Many of you won't agree with that statement. BUT.... In all fairness, it happen to Aquino. The only problem is....HE DIDN'T GET TO WRESTLE!!!! AND YES...HE WOULD HAVE WON THAT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH.

The one thing we can all agree on....I think...Is if these practices or the weight thing / staff error issue involving Aquino had involved teams at the bottom or the 14th seed at Upper State we wouldn't be having this discussion. Right? Just saying.

I'm not sure I follow you scbuckeye99. Please elaborate......

My comparison between the two is the fact that one wrestler was held back because of an unintentional error on weight entry and the illegal scrimmage between more than a couple of teams before individual state. One honorable coach did the right thing but sad for the wrestler and the other coaches completely disregarded the rules of the SCHSL. One wrestler was punished for "breaking the rules" while a few teams gets to go on like nothing ever happened. Do you think that's ok or right?

Rules and laws are put in place as a method of control. Without rules or laws there would be pure chaos. We must follow the rules. If a coach says, "I didn't know i was breaking the rules". He's not telling the truth.

So a few studs got together before the individual state tournament in an effort to peak for the most important competition of the year and you find that a negative?

My understanding is that it doesn't have to be an entire team but just one athlete from a team to join one from another. It is considered a scrimmage, what make it illegal is that it happens after the last scrimmage allowed date. If one member from a team joins another to practice in preparation for a tournament during the year and the practice is facilitated by a member of the either teams coaching staff and is on school property, in my opinion that would be a violation. Where it get foggy is if the two team members meet outside the constraints of the high school league, like a club. As long as their high school coach is not there and it is off school property or the club has a rental agreement on the school property, it is in my opinion a legal practice. I am not sure why any high school coach would want their kids working out in a typical club environment.
( I am not saying clubs are bad. There are some good ones out there.)

So a few studs got together before the individual state tournament in an effort to peak for the most important competition of the year and you find that a negative?

Problem is you can apply that method of thinking to any thing.

14 kid decided to transfer to one school in an effort to better their team.

I am not calling for a punishment for anyone just a clarification, I just want to know what the rules are so I can play by them. In years past I have trained kids and wanted to travel the week between lower states and states and did not because I was told it was against the rules.

Yes. It's very negative. I find it to be breaking the rules set forth by the SCHSL. It's ok with you to break the rules? It's that type of thinking/behavior that makes teachers, principles and other students dislike wrestlers/wrestling in SC. If a few coaches give the impression that it's ok to break the rules for a special competition then it entitles them to think they are above the rules. Is that how you want your child to act/feel? As I said before, rules are put in place to control bad behavior. Even bad behavior of a coach/coaches, team/teams.

It's just strange to me that some of you can't grasp the concept of a rule. Come on parents and coaches. Really?

Another rule I found in SCHSL rule book:
d. In the week before the state tournament, a school with 3 or less qualifiers for the individual state tournament may only practice with another school(s) that also have 3 or less qualifiers for the individual state tournament with approval from the involving principals.

Not sure that helps or hurts the team in question. Here are my thoughts:
If a team with just a couple of qualifiers needs to practice and one is a 220 and one is a 106 and everyone else on the team has either stopped coming or started spring sports - What option is that coach left with? What if there's not another team with 3 or less qualifiers within driving distance? Should we penalize those two wrestlers by keeping them from practicing against someone / anyone their own size and hope they do well? Or as a coach with his wrestler's best interest in mind - try to find somewhere to at least get them a drilling partner? I'm all about rules, but I also believe that if there is no affect to the team duals (I consider the team championship like the football championship - after that, the football season is officially over. But football players that are the best get the Shrine bowl and North / South game - how many other sports have individual state championships anyway? Yes we have the North South challenge as well, but my point is other sports end with the team title) then let them wrestle. At that point it's about an individual wrestler who has worked his butt off all season to get where he is - he should be afforded the opportunity to practice.

As a dad - when it comes an individual title and the high school team is the vehicle you have to help you win that title - I would want my son to practice and wrestle against the best, and if his opponent had the opportunity to practice with others that make him better - good for him. Now if the Team State title was decided by the individual tournament like it was when I was in high school - then by all means - it's your team vs. your team period.

Regarding the Dorman kid - that just plain and simple sucks that that happened. If you miss weight that's on you - if it's a clerical error - that's horrible. I feel really bad for Aquino - a classy kid.

Cross country, track, swimming, tennis and golf are all individual sports as well. The only difference is theirs individual title is also the team title. Much like the team winner at individual states.

So I guess my point with that is how many of those sports get together with area schools and practice before the big show?

Last edited:
Cross country, track, swimming, tennis and golf are all individual sports as well. The only difference is thiers individual title is all the team title. Much like the team winner at individual states.
That was my point - if the team title is decided by which team has the most points in their respective tournament, then practicing with another team is a huge issue. If it's not, and coaches are trying to give their kids the best opportunity to succeed - then maybe the rule should be changed. Besides, I feel pretty confident that most coaches aren't going to want to dig too much into this rule because they live in glass houses and don't want to cast the first stone. NOT Every coach - but I'm sure if the SCHSL really dug - half the placers in all classifications would be stripped.

The idea of 14 kids getting together and deciding to go a different school to make their team better is so asininely outside the realm of possibly it doesn't remotely apply. The example holds no water. Then you lost me even further when you question why a HS coach would want their kid involved in a club.

From what I'm seeing the rules from the HSL (which is an absolute joke of an organization with regards to wrestling and the way it manages the sport) is that there is at the very least a lot of gray area surrounding such an occurrence.

It's time to dig and dig deep. SCHSL are you looking into this? You should!! You guys can sugar coat this all you want. If other sports do it then they have the authorization to do it. A school that has 2 wrestlers to enter the state tournament can't practice with a school that has 10 or 12. That's the rule. End of story.

And when the comment is made...

"From what I'm seeing the rules from the HSL (which is an absolute joke of an organization with regards to wrestling and the way it manages the sport) is that there is at the very least a lot of gray area surrounding such an occurrence."

That means that rules means nothing to you ParTerre57.

That comment alone should make the SCHSL want to investigate this even more. SCHSL this guys says you are a joke. Show him you are not.

It's time to dig and dig deep. SCHSL are you looking into this? You should!! You guys can sugar coat this all you want. If other sports do it then they have the authorization to do it. A school that has 2 wrestlers to enter the state tournament can't practice with a school that has 10 or 12. That's the rule. End of story.

And when the comment is made...

"From what I'm seeing the rules from the HSL (which is an absolute joke of an organization with regards to wrestling and the way it manages the sport) is that there is at the very least a lot of gray area surrounding such an occurrence."

That means that rules means nothing to you ParTerre57.

That comment alone should make the SCHSL want to investigate this even more. SCHSL this guys says you are a joke. Show him you are not.

I agree

Another rule I found in SCHSL rule book:
d. In the week before the state tournament, a school with 3 or less qualifiers for the individual state tournament may only practice with another school(s) that also have 3 or less qualifiers for the individual state tournament with approval from the involving principals.

Not sure that helps or hurts the team in question. Here are my thoughts:
If a team with just a couple of qualifiers needs to practice and one is a 220 and one is a 106 and everyone else on the team has either stopped coming or started spring sports - What option is that coach left with? What if there's not another team with 3 or less qualifiers within driving distance? Should we penalize those two wrestlers by keeping them from practicing against someone / anyone their own size and hope they do well? Or as a coach with his wrestler's best interest in mind - try to find somewhere to at least get them a drilling partner? I'm all about rules, but I also believe that if there is no affect to the team duals (I consider the team championship like the football championship - after that, the football season is officially over. But football players that are the best get the Shrine bowl and North / South game - how many other sports have individual state championships anyway? Yes we have the North South challenge as well, but my point is other sports end with the team title) then let them wrestle. At that point it's about an individual wrestler who has worked his butt off all season to get where he is - he should be afforded the opportunity to practice.

As a dad - when it comes an individual title and the high school team is the vehicle you have to help you win that title - I would want my son to practice and wrestle against the best, and if his opponent had the opportunity to practice with others that make him better - good for him. Now if the Team State title was decided by the individual tournament like it was when I was in high school - then by all means - it's your team vs. your team period.

Regarding the Dorman kid - that just plain and simple sucks that that happened. If you miss weight that's on you - if it's a clerical error - that's horrible. I feel really bad for Aquino - a classy kid.

Here is my argument to that:
What about the team that only has 8 or 9 wrestlers period for the entire season. Let's say they have a 106 and nobody else lighter than 132. That 106 had to go the entire year without a drill partner because they can't practice with anyone else. But then the one week of state every other team gets to practice with others??? That kid suffers all year long but the rest of the state can't go 1 week?

Again, I wouldn't argue against the rule change if they vote to allow all teams to practice with all teams for the week of state individual. I would be ok with that. I'm just saying the current rule doesn't allow that. We need to follow the current rule.

Sure does seem like this has a lot to do with bitterness over getting beat, particularly by a parent of a kid on the team.

I agree that rules are important but no one would care a bit about 5 schools getting together if none of those kids had any chance of doing well at the tournament. Meanwhile, this happened after the team title was decided anyway.

And no one wants complete enforcement of every single rule. Does stalling get called every time someone backs out of the circle without contact? Nope. How many kids cut more weight than the rules rules would allow by the letter of the law? We're talking about the cumulative impact of about 8-9 hours of training.

I'll ask it again, who won when the boys stood toe to toe? A scrimmage two weeks later is irrelevant.

I am not affiliated with the schools in question in the least.

I really don't care what happened or what does happen. My issue is with people like you who allow their ego and sour grapes to stymie the growth of young athletes. It's this old school, status quo mindset that has held SC wrestling back as much as it has. Clubs are good. Seeing different competition is good. People laugh when I tell them stories of the management of the sport in our state.

It's a silly rule written by someone who, at no fault of their own, has little context of the sport. My initial thought was that insurance was a major factor in such a rule but it's clear that's not the case given that co-practices are actually allowed.

I'll be sure to let you know next time I drive 73 in a 65.

Last edited:
Well said Coach Newton. You are always on point.

It's too bad some could care less about rules. It's funny that everyone want's wrestling treated as great as football but not willing to make wrestling as great as football because you think wrestling is above the rules. When a coach breaks the rules he and his team should suffer. If that happens, less coaches will break the rules. When a coach breaks the rules he thinks he is above them or too good for them which make the people who care, care less.

Yes ParTerre, it is a silly rule. It could be changed. It could be followed. I personally drive 85 in a 65. But when I get stopped by the HP, I take my ticket and pay it. Because I broke the rule of driving over the speed limit. If you don't want people to laugh at our state because of the management of the sport, hold the coaches accountable when they do something wrong. It's that simple.

Agree with DLeader and ParTerre, Seems to be a ton of emphasis that you not only want this specific rule to be followed to a T, but that you want to strip a team of a state title for a rule that has nothing to do with that at all?

If I kid uses injury time, but it was a false alarm and he's not really that injured and is able to complete the match, would you want his state title stripped?

You're calling for the SCHSL to be on a third party message board and be inspired to strip a state championship based on internet comments by people with opinions and a keyboard?

" I personally drive 85 in a 65. But when I get stopped by the HP, I take my ticket and pay it."
Ok, I get this, but what you're asking for is not just a ticket, what you're asking for is to strip something that these kids worked their entire season for, some even longer than that. - this would be like you asking for people that get pulled for speeding to have their car impounded.

lets establish a standard and move forward. Personally, I think the rule is outdated and wrong. Kids should absolutely be allowed to work together to make themselves better. I want the sport to grow and the quality of competition to keep increasing.

I help coach a youth club, and I have already seen that kids from other programs that will have lasting friendships and will continue to try and make each other better through competition and collaboration.

Wrestling in this state has come a long way since I was involved at the high school level, but the only way that has happened is through a collaborative effort of these kids working together during the offseason and at SCYWA tournaments, AAU Tournaments, and Open workouts together. Often these kids are friends and have relationships with each other and just want to be as good as they can be.

Last edited:
The way I read into is, Kids can work together and get better the week of states, as long as they do it at a club or gym and not with their head coaches present.

So we want to get the rule changed so that the week of individuals kids can have "X" number of practices with other schools regardless of number of athletes.

Just so everyone is in the know......the HSL is involved and they ARE handing out a punishment to the teams involved.

So at the end of it all, some coaches can do what they want without any consequences? No matter what it is?

Tigerpaw, do you think it's ok for coaches to not follow the rules? Do you think there should be consequences for not following rules. What do you think should happen? Give them a smack on the hand and tell them not to do it again?

So at the end of it all, some coaches can do what they want without any consequences? No matter what it is?

Tigerpaw, do you think it's ok for coaches to not follow the rules? Do you think there should be consequences for not following rules. What do you think should happen? Give them a smack on the hand and tell them not to do it again?

You say that like there ARE some coaches that are getting punished for this? I'm not saying any one coach is above the rules, but you also shouldn't go and "make a statement" (as you said) or set an example by trying to enforce some outrageous punishment.

I would agree that a set rule and a set consequence should be established, and as Old Mav above said, the HSL is handling it. Of course, whatever they do probably won't be severe enough for your liking, especially if anything less than stripping a state title from the team is considered a "smack on the wrist"

Seems like a pissed off parent whose kid isn't getting it done, so they come on here to try to stir up a bunch of stuff. Practice Scrimmages whatever at the end of the day would it of made a difference in the outcome of the matches NO NO NO NO NO. These boys met on the line and had there 6 minutes, the coaches didn't wrestle for them. Punish the parties (coaches) involved in a way that doesn't affect the kids and move on. I am hoping that stronger minds will prevail on this and we can all start looking forward to next year.

Wildgreco - ultimately if a school gets their hand slapped for this or even gets their state title stripped, would you really feel like you guys were state champs? If so, fill out your own bracket however chose. Everyone will know who won the match.

Maybe they get banned from the post season the following year and your team wins state. is that better than actually beating the best team?? Come on. The sport is about man to man competition, not crying foul about a handful of extra kids at a practice two weeks after the team title has been decided.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT