ADVERTISEMENT

infielders wearing facemask

Mar 12, 2013
My daughter is a pitcher and has been since she was 9 years old. She is in 11 th grade and got hit buy a line drive ground ball thurs. Night. If not for her mask I would hate to think about wear she would be. What do all of you think about mandantory mask for all I fielders in high school softball. I have seen balls coming off of bat at 97 mph all year. We need to protect our girls and I need support to do this. Please give me some feed back and I will proceed accordingly.

Things like this happen. Kids fall off bikes, still dive in shallow water, get hit by line drives. No different than when we were kids except that nowadays if there is any risk of getting hurt we need to make a new rule. I'm sorry, but I think we have enough rules. Accidents are unavoidable...they just happen.

I like the idea of pitchers wearing one and maybee third and this is only a opinion ,but after 12 u all others should get rid of it or move to the outfeild ,my girl has taken many hits off of mound ,but never at short ,i thk good 1st , ss and 2nd baseman have no need for them and like i said its just a opinion.

Two pitchers in the SEC at top programs wear one. One of them is also a top hitter. This kid busted a pitchers face up pretty bad on a high level travel team then decided to wear a mask. In a college game yesterday I saw two pitchers get hit. This is one of those things that we all need to grow up on. If a player wants of will wear it they should. These masks don't restrict view and may actually may help some of these players stay down on ball without fear of dental work. I don't think there will ever be a rule forcing someone to wear them. It wouldn't hurt for it to be a rule until 14u for corners and pitchers. I don't see as much value in the middle but wouldn't have a problem if they wanted to wear one.

Just my thoughts....

Take the #$%^@&% pads off the hitters in the box....Teach pitchers to get command of the inside part of the plate. Averages will drop .200 points.

Sorry guys...Im a little old school. :)

First let me say wearing a mask is always a good choice. However I would not be in favor of making it mandatory for infielders. Although I could get on board for pitchers only. I kinda feel that a good third basemen should be ready defensively and their depth should be in accordance to their skill. Pitchers don't have quite that luxury.
I get where your coming from though bowfisher. My oldest daughter took a shot to the face by a foul ball coming directly off the bat while batting in college because she didn't wear a mask on her batting helmet. She had so many fractures in her cheek bones, the doctors couldn't get an accurate count. Not to mention damage to the eye, nose and sinus cavity. If I could get a rule changed, it would be that one. Because trust me, there is no defense for a shot like that.

Ive never understood why a batter has to wear a helmet for balls being thrown at them at speeds of 50-60+ mph but a pitcher is required to wear nothing for balls coming back at them at speeds close to a 100 mph.

If you've ever seen a pitcher take a line drive to the face I don't understand how anyone could think they shouldn't be mandatory.

I sure would hate to sit there and tell my granddaughter that I was such a stupid parent that's why her mother who use to be beautiful until that softball crushed her face. But darling, IT DID MAKE HER TOUGH.

Absolutely masks should be mandatory for pitchers! 1st and 3rd should be strong options. But if you talk to most of the girls they do not want to wear them. It usually takes getting a hard hit to make them think about it and even then they may not want to wear it. It has to start at the younger ages so the girls get use to wearing them.

Our infield wore them until the day we stopped playing..When they went to Other travel teams it was them coaches who told them that college coaches did not like kids to wear mask. I bet if u throw 72 with a killer change u could wear roller skates if u wanted

I think it should be everyones choice, but I highly recommend for young pitchers since after release they are in an awkward position and often times unable to protect themselves.

My pet peeve is hitters in college not wearing a facemask. Everybody thinks it is to prevent the pitched ball from hitting the face, but this is only 25% of the problem. 75% is the fouled ball coming up. Again, like the pitcher, a hitter during a swing or bunt is in no position to protect themselves.

It is stupid and an injury that is preventable. A major D2 school in our area lost their SS for the year cause she swung at an inside rise ball and it came up broke her nose and several other things. She is also the leading hitter on the team and she is out for a while. Could have been prevented.

Ty

I think it should be a rule for SCHSL that all infielders wear mask. The talent is not equal enough to say this shouldn't be a rule.

Picture abbey cheek smashing a shot to any infielder for a team like Spartanburg..... the result would be life altering.

I kid hit the pitcher at northwestern with a line shot to her forehead her senior season. That mask saved her.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by cockydavis:
Our infield wore them until the day we stopped playing..When they went to Other travel teams it was them coaches who told them that college coaches did not like kids to wear mask. I bet if u throw 72 with a killer change u could wear roller skates if u wanted
Unfortunately what those travel coaches told them is true life. I know of at least two college coaches that will not look at a player with a face mask. One of those wont recruit a player that wears shin guards. I see more and more college players wearing all kids of evo shield protection now so maybe that will soften some coaches approach. Some coaches feel this gear is an excuse not to play defense. This isn't my view but I wanted to share my experience. My daughter wore all that stuff until 8th grade. It was her decision to remove it and not for the reasons listed above. If you think the above isn't fair I have also met a college coach that hates hair bows.

As someone that has coached a 14U travel team, I am split on this. In my opinion, the girls and the bats are too good not to wear a face mask. Esp. at 3rd and pitcher. You get a lefty at the plate who you thinks it is going to bunt and then she slaps a hard one down third base line. The 3rd baseman is approx. 30 feet from her. At 14 and under it is asking alot for these girls to not be afraid.

Where I am split is at the high school level and beyond. Just because Suzie wears a mask at 3rd doesn't make her any less talented than Kristy who doesn't wear a mask. Last year it seemed all high schools wore masks. This year is the opposite.

I would like to talk to the college coach who judges players on just by wearing a mask.

I know 3 college coaches that will walk up.....see a pitcher with a mask, turn around and walk away.

Their answer when asked why "if she needs a mask then she's missing too much over the plate for me"
Posted from Rivals Mobile

My daughter pitches and I have the same concerns, but have also been told by many that played or coached at the college level that coaches in college don't like to see the mask. Since she hasn't worn one since 14u, college coaches have not seen it on her and we have not had any feedback from the coaches currently recruiting her.

One thing that would help the pitchers a lot at the 16u, 18u travel ball and high school level is for the umpires to recognize the pitches on the corners of the plate as strikes. Many of these umpires force the girls over the center of the plate to get a strike call. First, these girls work hard to learn to throw their pitches on the corners and should be rewarded for the effort. Second, forcing the pitchers over the middle of the plate results in more balls hit back up the middle. We have actually had umpires widen the strike zone after a line drive hit back at the pitcher. The smart ones know how it works.

Personally I think college will have to pave the way. That is where a lot of these girls have their sights set and if they don't see the college kids using masks then they won't. I'm not sure any one other than 3rd and pitcher should need one. You can make a case for 1st, but how often is 1st that close.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT