ADVERTISEMENT

Legion Tournament Politics--Oswald Strikes Again

COHAZE

Five Star Prospect
Nov 12, 2004
Per Legion rules, in the first round of the state tournament, the higher seed is always the home team. Greenwood is the #2 seed from the Upstate. Sumter is the #3 seed from Lower State. Therefore, Greenwood is supposed to be the home team for their first round match up. NOT. At least not according to the Grand Poobah Legree Oswald. Oswald unilaterally makes Sumter the home team. When asked for an explanation he responds with something along the lines of "because I said so."

The moral of the story is when you're dealing with Legion baseball in S.C. "The Rules Can Always Change."

Anyone hearing that Greenville forfeited their Sunday game with Sumter due to lack of players?

Greenville has forfeited. Rules require you to have a minimum of 12, they had 10. One version is they had players that left last night. I also heard a more disturbing rumor that I'm not going to go into.

Anyone hearing that Greenville forfeited their Sunday game with Sumter due to lack of players?

Greenville has forfeited. Rules require you to have a minimum of 12, they had 10. One version is they had players that left last night. I also heard a more disturbing rumor that I'm not going to go into.

Disturbing rumor? C'mon now.... They had 2 players leave last night. Called Legree to tell him at during the greenwood and sumter game. He said to still come this morning and they'd go from there. His reason to not play was sumter would lose pitching or someone may get hurt. That was his reasoning to not play.

No rumor needed. Greenville had 4 or 5 kids busted with alcohol in their hotel room last night. So the announcement made at the stadium about them only having 10 players available left out just a little bit of detail. But I ask this question "how many ways can the mighty Wizard behind curtain help Sumter win"? Good God this is absolutely ridiculous. And I love how they post the rule on their website today about a team needing 12 to play. Laughable after Sumter's team shouldn't even be playing in the tournament after the brawl THEY started. Where was THAT rule posted on their site?!?! Yeah......they didn't post THAT rule now DID they? I am amazed at how the state cherry picks which rules they are going to enforce and which rules they are not. 10 kids, their coaches and a lot of families spent time and money to get to Sumter and play a game this morning. Under the circumstances, those 10 kids and their coaches should have been allowed to compete today. And don't point out the B.S. of the rule to me. With how they pick and choose which rules to follow, why not PLAY THE GAME? Oh yeah, silly me. If Sumter had to actually play the game (one they shouldn't even be in in the first place after starting a brawl in the playoffs) they would have had to use pitching like everyone else. No shock there. Now they are in a better position. Eerily similar to what seems to happen each and every time there is an issue with Sumter's game/team. It's like a damn soap opera. Let's all sit back, grab the popcorn, and see what B.S. the Grand Wizard comes up with next. Idiots.

Boys, as a supporter of ALB for decades, I have come to the reality that ALB is dead and there are too many problems to overcome. The list is too long to list. You can start with age requirements and go all the way to roster sizes. In most towns, the blue chip players are not playing until they have completed their travel ball days and have signed to play college ball (No need to play to play after that). It is sad, but it is the truth. Those of us that thought ALB was going to compete with travel ball were just fooling ourselves. There is no promotion at the national level. Having some MLB player giving testimony that they played ALB for 1 year is not going to sell the program. The state directors have to promote the league. I don't know for sure, but I'm willing to bet that Oswald has not brought one college coach to the table. Heck, I would be surprised if he even knows a college coach personally. He's a joke.It's become like playground ball. Make up the rules as you go. No kid wants to devote his time and Summer to something that resembles pro wrestling when it comes to adhering to the rules. So far this year there has been players that start brawls that are allowed to play, teams with illegal players that are allowed to get releases after the season is pretty much completed, and seeding in the State Tournament based on God knows what. That dude is a crook and is doing nothing to promote ALB. He should be on the ticket with Clinton. If I had a son, I would encourage him to play weekend Bush League ball and lift, hit and work on skill development vs playing ALB. It has become a waste of time.

Just joined rivals and have first year association with SC AL baseball, am at least and on occasion shocked at what I have seen and what I read on here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT