ADVERTISEMENT

The next STUD in SC wrestling

Agree on Trephan. Also have J Parker now a 3x finalist and 2x state champ with one year left to be a possible 4x finalist and 3xer.

Would not count out Bailey Wilkins a state champ as a freshmen in a not so easy weight class. Also agree Sam Emery will be tough. D Parker has gone 3rd, 2nd and 1st also with his senior year left.

Only a few I see being 4 time finalist and 3x champ like AJ and Clary were.

Cole Haile from Chapin, rising senior. Third at 182 in 2016. 195 Runner up in 2017. 46-3 this season with 36 pins. 2 losses to Smith from BHP and other loss to Camden Co. in the finals of the Coastal Clash. Only pinned once in previous 2 seasons (2016 State semifinals).

Hank Manos from Chapin, rising senior. Third at 285 in 2016. Undefeated (40-0) State Champion 2017.

Reactions: Grecofan and chrisv
Not trying to take anything away from anyone but, imo to be a Stud you gotta leave the state of south Carolina and go against some better competition. When ur winning those big matches then your a stud.

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
Why is 5A always the measuring stick? That means nothing more than attendance IMO. I think Cole Murphy can wrestle with anyone. Same with the Hall kid from Berea last year.

Why is 5A always the measuring stick? That means nothing more than attendance IMO. I think Cole Murphy can wrestle with anyone. Same with the Hall kid from Berea last year.

5a is not the measuring stick to me but I took the 5a comment as he wouldn't have pinned his way to the title like he does in 2a/1a. He might have won it in 5a but definitely not the cake walk he had in 2a/1a.

Alex Braden from HIlton Head is a 2X champion and a runner up as well headed to his senior year.

Billy Christie from Hilton Head is a 2X champion headed towards his senior year. Was a SQ his freshman year. Got injured at lower state and couldn't wrestle in the state tournament. Would have been a placer in my opinion with a chance to make the finals.

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
I think 5A is the measuring stick because the level of competitors more consistent. The lower divisions all have great top tier wrestlers and programs, but there is a steep drop off in both teams and talent. My opinion based on high school and off season. In each Divison there are 3-5 teams that are as good if not better than the best 5A teams, but the drop off is way more severe after that. A second tier 5A team is much more competitive than the lower divisions.

I think 5A is the measuring stick because the level of competitors more consistent. The lower divisions all have great top tier wrestlers and programs, but there is a steep drop off in both teams and talent. My opinion based on high school and off season. In each Divison there are 3-5 teams that are as good if not better than the best 5A teams, but the drop off is way more severe after that. A second tier 5A team is much more competitive than the lower divisions.
Just throwing this out there - Eastside beat both 5A dual finalists this year (Rock Hill twice). I'm pretty confident some other teams in 4A and 3A would have given them a run as well. I would argue to say that there is steep drop off in teams and level of talent at all classifications. I think you have to look at the individuals in the weight classes. Some weight classes in 5A are loaded and deep, but 4A may be loaded at the next weight up etc.

This all lends to the argument that we should simply have an all classification 32 man tournament.

Just throwing this out there - Eastside beat both 5A dual finalists this year (Rock Hill twice). I'm pretty confident some other teams in 4A and 3A would have given them a run as well. I would argue to say that there is steep drop off in teams and level of talent at all classifications. I think you have to look at the individuals in the weight classes. Some weight classes in 5A are loaded and deep, but 4A may be loaded at the next weight up etc.

This all lends to the argument that we should simply have an all classification 32 man tournament.

You have no idea how many SC folks would like to go to one or at the most 2 divisions. As an extreme to the other side; CA is the number one state for HS wrestling enrollment but only have 1 division.

Reactions: darth vomitus
I have heard talk about people wanting to make a Division I (5A/4A) and a Division II (1A/2A/3A), only for the individual tournament not for the dual tournament, with a 16 man bracket in each. I know this is only talk that that would make things very interesting at the individual level.
As for the topic of discussion, I believe the only freshman to make the finals this year was Wilkins, White will be a 4xer, Trephan will be a 3X with 4 finals apps, Stiffer (hillcrest) could be a 3x with 4 apps. There are a lot of kids that will be studs in the next year in the state of SC. In order to be an actual stud and be known though kids need to go out of state. AJ "stayed" at Dark Horse during the summer I heard and wrestled all over, Dudley won Super 32 and NHSCAA, Clay was ( and Gage could have been) 4x National Champions, AJ Alford AA'd at fargo I think 3 times. We need some of these SC studs to make a name for themselves at the national level. And yes I do realize that Trephan won nationals as a Freshman, he's on the right path.

i want to know if Newton woke up at 615 Sunday morning when he was on a cruise to post on this topic. If so I am shocked and proud

I have heard talk about people wanting to make a Division I (5A/4A) and a Division II (1A/2A/3A), only for the individual tournament not for the dual tournament, with a 16 man bracket in each. I know this is only talk that that would make things very interesting at the individual level.
As for the topic of discussion, I believe the only freshman to make the finals this year was Wilkins, White will be a 4xer, Trephan will be a 3X with 4 finals apps, Stiffer (hillcrest) could be a 3x with 4 apps. There are a lot of kids that will be studs in the next year in the state of SC. In order to be an actual stud and be known though kids need to go out of state. AJ "stayed" at Dark Horse during the summer I heard and wrestled all over, Dudley won Super 32 and NHSCAA, Clay was ( and Gage could have been) 4x National Champions, AJ Alford AA'd at fargo I think 3 times. We need some of these SC studs to make a name for themselves at the national level. And yes I do realize that Trephan won nationals as a Freshman, he's on the right path.

The 2 divisions would be awesome! You're also correct about going outside your state/regional area to see how you do against others. When my nephew was wrestling he and his team were solid and fared pretty well against larger class schools. He also won a lot of summer tournaments with USA Wrestling, I think it was called. Anyway, once he started training to go to Fargo and got out there he said it was very obvious wrestling was on a different level in other states. Once he got to college and started wrestling kids from Iowa, Indiana, New Jersey, Mass, etc. he made comments all the time the level of wrestling in those states was totally different than in SC, GA, NC, etc.

More than likely he was still up!

Had to get up for my 6:30 am yoga class. I experienced the coolest thing ever on this cruise. We went to an island where there was a floating bar. Had to walk out to the bar in chest deep water. Climbed up the ladder and we were there. 26 person capacity. Little circular bar that just floated in the water. Going to the bathroom was just one jump away. It was awesome. The wife didn't seem to enjoy it as much as I did. She has trouble appreciating the finer things in life.

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
Their were other freshman to make finals also some in the cons semis ...Allen from eastside lost a good overtime match in cons semis... Addison had a good cons semis match both of these kids wrestle on a national level also byars from blueridge lost a 4-2 match in the finals to a good bhp wrestler he's also wrestled on a national level I think we had a very good freshman class this year ...maholtz didn't make finals but he's still a great wrestler that had the 120# state champion down 7-1 before making a mistake and getting caught interesting to see how theses freshman do in the future

It's one of the best freshman classes that I can remember.
106- Michael Shiffler, RH kid, Byars, York kid, Tucker Allen
113- Emery
120- Maholtz
126- Soriano and Wilkins and Augustine
132- Augustine
138- Kyle Flyte
145 - Stephenson, Lugoff kid,

Feel free to add to this list.

It's one of the best freshman classes that I can remember.
106- Michael Shiffler, RH kid, Byars, York kid, Tucker Allen
113- Emery
120- Maholtz
126- Soriano and Wilkins and Augustine
132- Augustine
138- Kyle Flyte
145 - Stephenson, Lugoff kid,

Feel free to add to this list.
Asa Addison and the other Augustine twin - he was injured most of the season.

Another good freshman is Adonis Lawson from Dorman. Lost to Wilkins by 1 pt in Upper State semis. Had close matches with other 126lb All-Staters.

No offense to Dorman or Lawson. I don't even know who Lawson is or know much about dorman but I am good friends with Wilkins and he had a terrible Upperstate, I wasn't attending upperstate but that's from his words.

From my memory, this incoming class has more kids that have traveled all over the east coast. I'm not talking Team Palmetto Duals. So many of these kids go to individual tournaments on their own from NY to NJ to Pa to Va Beach to Tennessee to Georgia and Ohio. Took their lumps. When all these kids are seniors, it could be one of the best classes ever in SC.

In every state except probably PA, NJ, OH, and a few others....you can see the separation between the kids who travel and the ones who don't travel. That difference is even more visible in states that aren't as deep.

In those states , kids have to expose themselves to that or in most cases they might find themselves a top wrestler in their own state, but unsuccessful outside their borders. That obviously greatly limits the opportunities to wrestle at the next level. Right now I believe if you live in SC and you want to be a STUD, you want to wrestle at the next level, then you need to:

1) Travel to national / high caliber regional events as mentioned above.

2) Seek training outside the confines of your youth club, middle school or high school practice room. This isn't a slight, but I'm sure someone will still take offense, but the reality is very few HS/MS youth coaches in this state have the time, ability, experience to single handedly develop wrestlers into a Stud that can compete on a national level. Even in the strongest of wrestling states, top kids are getting extra work at private clubs and in Summer Camps etc with coaches who are accomplished and proven in helping kids reach the next level.

3) Wrestle the Olympic Styles. Freestyle and Greco not only keep you on the mat. The different styles are a change of pace and they certainly help improve ones folkstyke abilities. One just has to look at last years NCAA finalist and see how many of them competed at Fargo to understand the importance and benefit.

The more kids in SC we can get doing those 3 things, the faster you will see the level of and depth of talent improve in the state.

Last edited:
In every state except probably PA, NJ, OH, and a few others....you can see the separation between the kids who travel and the ones who don't travel. That difference is even more visible in states that aren't as deep.

In those states , kids have to expose themselves to that or in most cases they might find themselves a top wrestler in their own state, but unsuccessful outside their borders. That obviously greatly limits the opportunities to wrestle at the next level. Right now I believe if you live in SC and you want to be a STUD, you want to wrestle at the next level, then you need to:

1) Travel to national / high caliber regional events as mentioned above.

2) Seek training outside the confines of your youth club, middle school or high school practice room. This isn't a slight, but I'm sure someone will still take offense, but the reality is very few HS/MS youth coaches in this state have the time, ability, experience to single handedly develop wrestlers into a Stud that can compete on a national level. Even in the strongest of wrestling states, top kids are getting extra work at private clubs and in Summer Camps etc with coaches who are accomplished and proven in helping kids reach the next level.

3) Wrestle the Olympic Styles. Freestyle and Greco not only keep you on the mat. The different styles are a change of pace and they certainly help improve ones folkstyke abilities. One just has to look at last years NCAA finalist and see how many of them competed at Fargo to understand the importance and benefit.

The more kids in SC we can get doing those 3 things, the faster you will see the level of and depth of talent improve in the state.

Why ANY coach would feel "slighted" by that comment is beyond me, but they do. And even IF the coach is fully capable, why not leave the off season to club coaches or at least volunteer asst coaches? Head coaches devote their life for 4 months. It is a long and exhausting season for both student and coach. Why not take a break and give your guys a break from you? You've been yelling at them for 4 months! trust me they need a break... I have an opinion as to why. Parents also need some convincing that little Johnny isn't so little anymore. Let him out of the nest and do things for himself. He can drive; allow him the opportunity to make some decisions on his own.

It's a process. There are some coaches in the state that I feel are certainly capable of developing national level wrestlers, and doing great jobs with their programs, but they are not the majority. Big picture there needs to be more opportunities for those kids who want to excel.

SC isn't behind other states when it comes Talented Wrestlers/Athletes, they are only behind other states in providing those kids will all the opportunities to maximize the talent/potential. The wrestling culture/environment is the limiting factor.

I understand that there is one or two?? dedicated wrestling training centers in the upstate where youth to HS wrestlers from schools all over that area can get some solid training with solid partners, that is a good thing. Again perfect world you have one of these in all major parts of the state with great/passionate technicians training tons of kids all year long. And as you said, HS coaches would encourage participation, not discourage.

Freestyle... Greco... Freestyle... Greco..... Freestyle...Greco...... you get the hint. As I mentioned above, SC USAW, HS, Youth Coach all need to do more to get more kids wrestling the Olympic Styles. The results don't lie as I mentioned the number of Fargo AA's that were NCAA Finalist this year in another thread. Fargo participation has to improve and we need to push the effort to field schoolboy, cadet, junior dual teams this year and every year going forward.

I think in our State the USAW / NUWAY dynamic probably hurts participation in Freestyle / Greco. I'm not sure we wouldn't be better off with the right leadership running a single USAW program of folkstyle and FS/GR. I know allot of people will say that when youth wrestling was run by USAW, it was horrible. Im assuming that was a leadership issue not a USAW issue. NUWAY and USAW are just sanctioning bodies, provider of insurance etc. You can have a poor AAU/NUWAY or USAW ran State, it all comes down to the leadership. I think if USAW was involved in folkstyle season it would help with building FS/GR numbers.
Right now our states USAW scene almost has a "fight club" feel to it. It's there and if you look enough you can find out where tournaments are.... there are some loyal, dedicated people participating, but there isn't allot of promotion/visibility. I'm not blaming or calling out anyone in SC USAW or NUWAY, I'm just trying to figure out where the disconnect is and how we can fix it.

I know there are allot of individuals/small groups around the state that are fighting the good fight to improve things and making impacts, we just need to expand that.

Last edited:
Club wrestling offers better/different competition than a high school room. Just look at Caveman where the best from Eastside, BHP, Woodmont, etc show up and train with each other. The good wrestlers usually don't get tested in their high school room. And the rooms that have talent wrestling each other, it's still good to wrestle different talented guys!

Some coaches worry about who is getting the credit for a kids success! Deny it all you want, it's the truth!!

SCUSA wrestling sucks! Get those old guys out and enter some new blood. The guys running it aren't in it for the kids! Always posting that there will be no sign ups at the tournament but they can't say no to a dollar so they make the ones following the rules sit around for an hour while they register walk ins! Bull shit! Or you find out other states charge a lot less to go and they keep their singlets, gear! Quit running a scam! These are a few of the reasons my son quit wrestling Freestyle/Greco!

April 29th Greenwood will have the IRON MAM tournament . Win all three divisions and you get the trophy. It is a USA sanctioned tournament. I have always had my son involved in USA wrestling as well as AAU and NUWAY. LOV E off season wrestling if for no other reason than t take my kid out of his comfort zone. learn how to throw ,learn how to counter. Trips out to Oklahoma were the best. Suddenly the guys back home are not so big and scary. Sign up for Folk Style or all three its just wrestling

It's great that the upstate has this Caveman facility to train, kids and parents should take advantage for reasons that have been mentioned. I promise you these facilities are a big reason for the success of wrestlers in other states. And are a big plus to HS programs funneling them highly trained and tested wrestlers.

The key to these training centers is having the right coach/coaches in place. Guys who not only had success in the sport, but continue to evolve and stay current with the sport. All big cities in the state need something like that in their area.

I think both SC USAW and SCYWA Suffer from lack of A long term plan/vision . Basically here is where we are as a state now.... this is where we want to be 2/3/5 years from now.....and these are the steps we are going to take to get there. SCYWA usually follows a pattern of leadership(officers) by parents of youth wrestlers who want to be a part of the decision making process while their kid is involved and then transitions out or to the Board once their kid gets to HS.

I think this effects consistency as there is no succession plan, roadmap for the new leadership to follow, everything just shifts to the newly elected officers and ultimately the Board Members. Now they have created regional directors throughout the state that fall underneath the officers, Im not sure what their roles are. I think most involved have good intentions, I find the structure itself as the biggest roadblock in the growth and development.

My biggest frustration with NUWAY/SCYWA is that they don't do anything to promote Freestyle/Greco wrestling in our state. Once folkstyle season is over, they pretty much call it a day. They don't hold any FS/GR tournaments, and I get that on the surface that is to allow SC USAW to run those events. However, they don't provide any info/links on their website that reference Freestyle/Greco wrestling...no link to the SC USAW website, or USAW membership page. I don't see where they promote or educate in any fashion the benefits of FS/GR to their wrestling audience. How can the organization that runs our states Youth Wrestling Program not do anything to facilitate participation in FS/GR? Anyone can do all the research and number crunching , and in the end the One Undeniable Conclusion that one will come to is that participation and success in FS/GR wrestling translates into success in folkstyle wrestling and increased exposure to college recruiting.

The pinnacle of our sport is I believe to wrestle for an NCAA Championship and Olympic Gold Medal! To be like Dan Gable, John Smith, Cael Sanderson, Jordan Burroughs, Kyle Snyder etc... But in our state, SCYWA appears to just ignore that half of the equation and that makes absolutely no sense to me. If I am missing something, someone please correct me. The reason for this I believe is the same as it has been for yours, politics and egos. This group or person doesn't care for this group or person etc, and in the end the only ones that suffer is the kids.

I'm not looking to blame or sure who is to blame if anyone, but either SCYWA and SC USAW leadership are trying awfully hard not to work together or they are doing a really good job fooling the average Joe. If our state wrestling is going to be spread across two sanctioning bodies, then it is the responsibility of those two sanctioning bodies to work closely together for the benefit of the state and its wrestlers.

SC USAW certainly needs to advertise, promote, and market their product better. There are allot of things they can do, but first they themselves need to become more aggressive, organized, and visible in their efforts to increase participation. Getting kids to wrestle in the offseason, spring/summer I know isn't an easy task, but that's why they have to work harder to make it happen.

Ultimately I feel dual organizations has created this power struggle/political environment and hurt the growth of SC wrestling in the progress. I believe when possible the best scenario for growth, consistency, and organization is to have one sanctioning body governing the wrestling in the state.

Structure :
Executive Board=
President
Vice President
Treasurer
Secretary

Directors=
Director of Folkstyle
Director of Olympic Styles
Kids Director
Girls/Woman's Director
Director of tournaments/registration

Representative/ Liaisons=
Officials Representative/ Liaison
HS Coaches Representative/ Liaison

Last edited:
Reactions: darth vomitus
Trevor Mansfield is the answer to this question, atleast to who really matters most right now and that is College Coaches. He is the only Fargo All-American currently in the state and that alone will get him more attention and recruitment from the next level than any other accolade that anyone has in the state. We need to start realizing as a state that perhaps we shpuld pay attention to some numbers and statistics easily accessible online when it comes to NCAA D1 tournament participation, which should be the goal or true measure of success.
I will add this as well, the biggest names or most mentioned names when it comes to studs the last few years all have something in common. They trained consistently with someone who has NCAA coaching experience.
Dudley-Chris Bono
Clary, Leitten-Trent Goodale

We need to put the best kids in rooms together "iron sharpens iron". We have to travel out of state for competitions, but only if our athletes have properly prepared and trained with the best training partners and the best coaches. If the preperation isnt there then we are just shooting ourselves in the foot. We do not need to travel out of state to get this preperation as may have been the case in the past, since there are now dedicated training sites with the highest level Coaches available anywhere in the country. We need to stop beong practice dumbies for other states (Darkhorse, Strong and Courageous, Dark Horse) as those clubs are not invested on our kids nor do they care if they improve or build towards success. If we actually concentrate on getting our best wrestlers together with the besr coaches available i promise the results will speak for themselves. If you build it the results will come.

So with all of this being said about Freestyle, Greco and training, lets fill up the JET tournament at West Oak this weekend. You can sign up on trackwrestling.com

Reactions: CavemanMMA
My son has went to Strong and Courageous and you are completely wrong about your bashing of them! I can't speak about Darkhorse. You are claiming credit for Leitten? When is the last time you trained him? Someone just posted he has lived at Darkhorse over the past few years. So they get no credit for his success?

I was glad to see you open a club and give the STUDS in the upstate a place to train. Just say it's shitty that you feel the need to bash the other clubs to try and build your own!!!

I didn't bash anyone nor did i take credit for anything. I simply pointed out a commonality. It is also a little different with someone like A.J. who is at that high of a level as a senior (and whos brother is attending as well being a collegiate starter) from Fort Mill which is really close to Dark Horse. In no way did I bad mouth those clubs at all, and have visited and been on the mats at all of those clubs as a college coach but you missed my point... which was that if we want to progress and make steps forward as a state then we need to do it by using our own resources and building each other. The success Dark Horse has experienced over the years speaks for itself, they have proven to produce successful wrestlers. However if you look at there website they "are driven to establishing Charlotte as the premiere wrestling location across North Carolina and the southern United States", which doesnt really do much when it comes to trying to build our state up instead of being a state that is at the bottom of the list when it comes to placing at Fargo and having representation at all of the NCAA tournaments.

We have the athletes, and have for quite some time now but limit our own progression and success as a STATE by not training together and building during the off season. I am only expressing this because of my desire to build the state and to start to get our own kids the opportunities they deserve. I dont want credit for anything and have always just been here to help the athletes in anyway i can. Having to go back to the 1990's to find the last ncaa all american from South Carolina should show us as a state that changes need to be made if we want our kids to compete at the highest level, which i assume is everyones goal, or atleast in my opinion should be. There is no reason we should be having national success at every age group and level exept the highest and it is the lack of getting our own top tier high schoolers together training that holds us back.

The biggest difference i see as someone who has outside perspective and experience is the lack of freestyle/greco which includes weeks of putting all of the best kids in the state in the same place with the best coaches available to train and then represent our state together. At the younger ages it doesnt have as big of an effect because the youth in other states dont do it often either. I am not trying to ruffle feathers but getting that defensive about wanting to help build another states wrestlers should be something that happens less than wanting to defend our own state and its ability to build itself.

Do you feel that training at sites out of states or with coaches outside of our state is something that we have to do?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT