ADVERTISEMENT

The next STUD in SC wrestling

I believe that participation for SC is up, and obviously based on these threads, awareness & passion are not in short supply. I believe that like others, a unified governing body is in need, or at least those governing bodies working in unison. A semi annual meeting with SCHSL, SC USAW, and SCYWA all working together towards the same goal of growing SC wrestling for....... THE KIDS! Throw in a few college coaches, and some club coaches and that is what we need to succeed. We have a ton of qualified people who can move the needle. Trent Goodale is the perfect example. Despite all of the piss & vinegar on these threads, I believe everyone wants the same thing. Let's take this opportunity to make a difference.

In reference to the numbers discussed, at NHSCA if you look at participants by state versus state population, SC is 7th out of 50. I am certain much to everyone's point, that the success rate does not match that participation rate, but that is what we are all trying to get to. Not for our glory, or profit, but for our kids. Look around, South Carolina is in prime position to make the change. Clemson Football, Coastal Baseball, USC Men's & Women Hoops, Limestone with a National Champ, the boost in population & economic growth in our state. Let's stop pointing fingers and unite. We can all meet at my house if you want, I don't give a shit. I'll make some barbecue & some sweet tea we can sit on the back porch and fix this.

Trent Goodale, Tony Forte, Ron Donlick, Mike Newton, Matt Oliver, Kyle Kimrey, Evan Moxie, Mica Hendricks, Cy Wainwright, Jeff Gibbins, Kelly Revells, Jerry Wigger, Marquise Camp, SCYWA, USA Wrestling, SCHSL, Jet Wrestling, Summerville Takedown, Eastside Youth Club, Mafia Wrestling, the list goes on & on. I am only an onlooker, parent, and supporter, but I'll do what I can. Let's actually make some progress.

Pressure will turn you into either dust or a diamond. Your choice.

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
I believe that participation for SC is up, and obviously based on these threads, awareness & passion are not in short supply. I believe that like others, a unified governing body is in need, or at least those governing bodies working in unison. A semi annual meeting with SCHSL, SC USAW, and SCYWA all working together towards the same goal of growing SC wrestling for....... THE KIDS! Throw in a few college coaches, and some club coaches and that is what we need to succeed. We have a ton of qualified people who can move the needle. Trent Goodale is the perfect example. Despite all of the piss & vinegar on these threads, I believe everyone wants the same thing. Let's take this opportunity to make a difference.

In reference to the numbers discussed, at NHSCA if you look at participants by state versus state population, SC is 7th out of 50. I am certain much to everyone's point, that the success rate does not match that participation rate, but that is what we are all trying to get to. Not for our glory, or profit, but for our kids. Look around, South Carolina is in prime position to make the change. Clemson Football, Coastal Baseball, USC Men's & Women Hoops, Limestone with a National Champ, the boost in population & economic growth in our state. Let's stop pointing fingers and unite. We can all meet at my house if you want, I don't give a shit. I'll make some barbecue & some sweet tea we can sit on the back porch and fix this.

Trent Goodale, Tony Forte, Ron Donlick, Mike Newton, Matt Oliver, Kyle Kimrey, Evan Moxie, Mica Hendricks, Cy Wainwright, Jeff Gibbins, Kelly Revells, Jerry Wigger, Marquise Camp, SCYWA, USA Wrestling, SCHSL, Jet Wrestling, Summerville Takedown, Eastside Youth Club, Mafia Wrestling, the list goes on & on. I am only an onlooker, parent, and supporter, but I'll do what I can. Let's actually make some progress.

Pressure will turn you into either dust or a diamond. Your choice.

Good idea but I would not include the SCHSL. They don't care about wrestling and what are they going to contribute anyway? We certainly don't need their help to move wrestling forward in SC.

TBowe

I believe the numbers would be better with more D1 college wrestling in the state. I've seen some studs go D2 or not wrestle at all in college because the cost of going out of state is high and scholarship money is low. Or that's been the complaint.
And by complaint I think you mean excuse.

ParTerre57- There are plenty of opportunities close enough that this is not an acceptable reason. I don't understand how this is already more accepted as a reason than the obvious things I have been pointing out.

Buckkiller-I am glad you are watching the videos put up and you can go ahead and troll away, the JET wrestlers you saw were my former wrestlers that called and asked if they could bring a couple of guys up and check the place out. While they were there I had my former wrestlers show the techniques that they had the most success with while competing. Al Billings has stopped by my practices as well on multiple occasions as I have had a relationship with him since i was about 8 years old. Once again I didn't make any statement about anyones coaching including my own, I quoted your statement, you are the one that said it hence the quotes. You seem to be the one that is very confused, as to I do not understand how this effects my integrity at all nor how it proves anything you have said? They came up because we had so many kids in the room preparing for the NHSCA tournament and I made the call to try and let more people and coaches take advantage of it, while doing exactly what I have been saying we need to from the start which is get as many of our states best wrestlers and best coaches in the same places at the same time training and competing together. You really are having a hard time seeing or pointing out anything other than how great JET is and how much better they are than everyone else in your opinion. It is also great that JET incourages there athletes and coaches to go to other places in order to learn and bring things back to share with JET, and once again you are missing my point which i will once again repeat, that we need to be doing this as a STATE in order to compete at the most important tournament in the country when it comes to recruiting and national recognition not just to benefit our own club. Please explain what part of JET having coaches that wrestled for years with me visiting my room and bringing JET wrestlers with proves anything you have been saying or makes you smile, other than they are getting an opportunity to train with, learn from, and also share technique with another room that has multiple schools coaches and athletes preparing together for competition? You should probably talk to those coaches and athletes and find out their opinion of me and the things I am saying. As well as ask them if they "ran" a practice for me? You truly are just not well educated when it comes to the sport of wrestling or the things you are talking about, you have never wrestled and never coached from what I can recall you saying yet are an expert when it comes to how things should be done or what correlates in to actual success at the highest level in this sport. I understand you are a parent that is very passionate about your child's club as well as very supportive which is awesome, but understand that it does not make you an expert by any means. We have too many experts in this state that think they know exactly what needs to be done yet have zero experience and are not willing to actually educate themselves when it comes to success outside of the state. I will actually agree with you on one thing, shocking i know, in that it is time for some change when it comes to the heads of usa wrestling in this state, where it has been proven for years now that they can not get the job done. I don't know how many times I can say this but i will say it again, the main point I am making is that we need to combine our resources, our best athletes and our best coaches in order to wrestle and represent ourselves to the best of our abilities at the tournaments that matter most in college coaches eyes as well as have statistically prove over and over to be the most important when it comes to experiencing success at the next level, not by boycotting them completely and figuring out more ways for our kids to train separately in order to compete in state against one another. The clubs may be doing fine when it comes to success in state, funding their own athletes trips etc... but that is not changing anything when it comes to our state being at the bottom of the barrel right now nationally and our athletes achieving their absolute potential while getting the opportunities they deserve at the next level. I do agree that our clubs should be running tournaments and even getting a good portion of the funds from doing so, but that they should be doing it as a USA wrestling chartered club so we are raising the money for our athletes to make the trip to fargo and the money is being spent on the right things instead of sending officials on vacation to rub elbows with people at the U.S. open and what not when they don't give anything back to the actual athletes in this state. Which is exactly what other states that are successful are doing, as I have worked in other states, been offered positions in other states that actually would pay, in some instances a full time salary, instead of volunteering all of my time and efforts for free like I have been doing. I will not give up on this battle though and won't choose the easy route or the almighty dollar and give up on this state or its athletes. I will debate for the rest of my life for change if i have to until we start to get to our true potential. "They don't need to be coached" is a great way to end your post...........

-Darthvomitus- I agree with what you said in that we need to promote usa during the folkstyle season and year round instead of waiting until the last minute, as well as it is time for some change in scusa, where i am sure the main office of usa wrestling in colorado springs can easily look at the numbers and agree with as well as support this conclusion. You need to educate yourself though when it comes to Fargo and the number of athletes a state can have at each weight class representing them, and exactly where and how one goes about qualifying for fargo. (very few in this state probably know any of that information as we have maybe once had double digits participate in fargo)

eagle hater- I thought you said you were done posting on this hahaha, jk I am glad you are not a quitter and couldn't help but reply. I think the schedules and tournaments need to be way way more readily available to everyone as well. It is quite obvious that i do not care about the possibility of being blacklisted though, and am wiling to be the guy that gets bad mouthed because of trying to create change and improvements.

Reactions: Eagle Hater 3333
SC wrestlers AAinng and winning NCAAs in D1 is the goal. Fargo is the easiest route to accomplish that. AA at Fargo= ticket to wrestle D1. Its not the only option but it is one of the most obvious.
Caveman has offered a solution to achieve that goal, being that he has firsthand experience at the upper levels, it would be smart to take his suggestion into consideration.

Run your club, support your state, and when your competent and well meaning coaches have an elite athlete capable of competing at the next level, send them to train with next level training partners and next level coaches so that they can immerse themselves in this environment of excellence, and be pushed to compete at the country's largest wrestling tournament.

A common room for the hammers of each club to beat and grind on each other. Sounds like exactly what everyone is currently traveling out of state for ( darkhouse s&c grind house) an instate option is just what is needed.

Fargo is a hard sell. Especially to wrestlers that haven't gone outside of the southeast to wrestle, who are being influenced by coaches who's main goal is a state title. It needs to be more appealing ( as fs/ Greco in the state has obviously left a bad taste in many people's mouths) It needs to be more affordable, and it needs to be valued at a younger age.

Lowcountrywrestlingfan.... your intentions are in the right place. In my experience...and I can speak a little from experience on this one, a meeting might help some, but I fear what we will get the shaking hands, kissing babies politician side of everyone at the meeting only to see it revert once there is a personality clash, conflict etc. Without anything in place structurally/organizationally to maintain the cooperation, I just don't see it having legs. I'm for anything that will work long term though.

I really believe the long term solution, the best way to secure long term success, is to have one organization covering all the bases, Folk, Free, Greco. As a state our program just isn't at a level that can survive and grow with 2 organizations. A state like PA can do it, but not SC, it only hurts as is obvious from all the things mentioned.

As a whole I don't think youth wrestling participation is up in SC. Just from the eyeball test the numbers appear to be flat over the last 3 years. That is something that we need to improve.

Again you can't make big change starting at the HS level. You do the best you can to implement change at that level, but Youth wrestling is where the changes will have the most impact and long term success. You create a culture when they are young, and that will carry all the way through HS with kid and parent.

Last edited:
In Iowa AAU does everything during the folkstyle season as far as tournaments goes and in the summer USA runs all of the tournaments. With each town running the tournament through their chartered club in order to gain funds to increase opportunities and what not in their own club. There are fundraisers in place for Fargo and for the National duals trip. It would be nice if a club with expertise in fundraising like JET would help in something like that, or educate the correct people in power as to the best way to go about it.

I do believe we are making strides as a state and one of the best examples is BHP and Eastside. Everyone has always known these two as bitter rivals, however they have spent significant amounts of time outside of the season training together and competing together. BHP also took their entire team pretty much up to NHSCA and were in the same room practicing with the Eastside guys for a few weeks leading up to the tournament. It has been awesome watching the kids on both of these teams become friends and the bonds that they have made. I witnessed with my own eyes on multiple occasions not just the kids from each team supporting one another but coaches from both schools helping and coaching athletes from the other. Their coaches facilitated this by providing the transportation and funding in different ways in order to do so, and it was a good experience for everyone.

And by complaint I think you mean excuse.

ParTerre57- There are plenty of opportunities close enough that this is not an acceptable reason. I don't understand how this is already more accepted as a reason than the obvious things I have been pointing out.

Agreed. I like your word choice better.

I think there may be individual cases where this could, possibly, maybe, in a vacuum be true; but wholesale I'm not buying it.

SCYWA.... Another badly run organization....

SC Youth wrestling was great when Mike Sanders and Bill Patterson ran it. It started getting bad once the dads that are running it, stopped looking at growing youth wrestling in SC and wanted to grow their sons in spite of youth wrestling in SC.

Maybe, just maybe the SCYWA season is too long???? Asking a 3rd grader to wrestle from Early November to Mid March is ridiculous. I know that Derek Strobel and Gibby and other high school coaches have been screaming that for years. The answer is "we need the money". I remember when the state would send state teams to Alabama, Ohio, Florida and other places to wrestle. I also remember once when Team Michigan came down to SC to wrestle at Byrnes. Now, no SCWYA sponsored team palmetto anymore. But all the dads are making sure that their kids are traveling all over the southeast to wrestle.

Rules are made up as they go, tournament rules are changed based on which board members kid is in 2nd place so he'll be in first. you know.... all the fair stuff.

I think the idea of everyone getting together to wrestle is a great idea.... HERE is the Ultimate question..... HOW MUCH WILL IT COST THE KIDS? Since they are members of one club, are they free? or do they have to pay dues to all clubs????

I would like a simple answer to that.....

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
@juliosuarez_002 you are incorrect about one thing. SCYWA does sponser team palmetto. They sent 3 teams to Dixie nationals/ minion duals k-3, 4-6, and middle school. They covered registration and warmups/ singlets. They sent 3 teams to Great Lakes championship/ nuway nationals 8u and 10u and 12u all expenses paid (travel, hotel, registration, gear) except food. They sent 2 teams to wildwood duals in NJ ( 12 u and middle school) covered registeration and gear, some took passenger vans also. Funds for this come from their portion of the folkstyle tournaments.

The season is too long
The rules do need to be changed and inforced.

When it comes to Fargo camp every other state includes the cost of whatever facility is used in their total cost for fargo. Then they are presented with fundraiser options as they sign up at the qualifying tournament. If you don't sign the agreement to go at the qualifying tournament you give up your spot to go. The only other way is to qualify through one of the regionals, which does not count towards the states allocation then. If we are talking kids and coaches getting together outside of the fargo camp at one location then i am sure their would be a mat fee.

I will say Team Palmetto has done a good job of getting kids to top out of state tournaments. That is the one area that I feel they have continued to build on. I believe they should HELP fund those trips, but not pay for them in their entirity. Certainly use SCYWA funds to help SUBSIDIZE cost of uniforms, hotel, travel etc for participants.
I have to believe SCYWA helped subsidize the trip, based on how that usually works, versus covering all transportation and hotel expenses. But ultimately I guess it is SCYWA's call on how to spend their $. Possibly they have had some really good years and had built up a nice surplus, good for them if that's the case.

Last edited:
@juliosuarez_002 you are incorrect about one thing. SCYWA does sponser team palmetto.
I stand corrected.... You threw one by me.... savor the flavor cause it wont happen again.....

I meant High School TP

This organization was created to grow WRESTLING in the ENTIRE State of SC. It was presented to High School Coaches 15 years ago. Was a way to generate money for high schools so that it would improve high school wrestling so that kids can earn ways to college. and the resources earned would trickle down to youth wrestlers.

Now its all screwed up.....

Trent..... SC USA Wrestling aint paying for anything except the board to go to the Olympics in 2020

@juliosuarez_002 Scywa is sponsoring HS team palmetto to go to nuway nationals in Atlantic City this summer, covering transportation and hotel if I remember correctly. Saw it posted to their fb page.

Let's face it, that team isn't the all star team it should be. Why is it the RH 126, BHP 132, Lexington 113, Eastside 113, BHP 106, Fort Mill 145, River Bluff 145 don't show up for these events? Fear? Pride? They walk around this state with chest bowed out. Go prove how badass you are!

Who is Coach1950, and how do we get him involved in a leadership role in SC? Based on the few comments on this thread - he seems like a coach that obviously garners respect from the top level guys, has experience organizing and running tournaments, and knows the value of folkstyle and Greco/Freestyle. Combine his level of organization and processes with a few businessmen / salesmen types like SButler and Buckkiller seem to be for promotions then throw in the Trent Goodale name to persuade the AD's around the state to let use some gyms, and we start getting somewhere. I think SC is too small for two sanctioning bodies - especially when the egos are too big.

Here's a thought - have 1 tournament a month during the November - March youth season be a Greco / Freestyle tournament. Make those tournaments count in the points / belt structure they use and kids will start to learn it. Then focus the spring / summer time on hitting GA and NC until we reach a point we can make those in state USAW tournaments productive.

I remember wrestling freestyles in the late 80s, and it was always 2 or 3 man bracket - combined weights, round robin, always the same guy or two. Doesn't seem to be any different 30 years later. That was when Coles was doing freestyle in the Eastside room with whoever wanted to come - even 'open' ages.

@Eagle Hater 3333 you will have to ask those guys why they didn't participate in the team palmetto wrestleoff then. Bad thing is it was free entry for any state placer from any division. Has the makings of a true multidivisional state championship.

Let's face it, that team isn't the all star team it should be. Why is it the RH 126, BHP 132, Lexington 113, Eastside 113, BHP 106, Fort Mill 145, River Bluff 145 don't show up for these events? Fear? Pride? They walk around this state with chest bowed out. Go prove how badass you are!

Eaglehatertoinfinity :) I don't think any of those kids are dodging or avoiding any competition. I'll tell you what I believe to be a big part of the lack of representation.

First they were originally scheduled to do Disney Duals ( Better/Established tournament) then it was changed to this Atlantic City deal. The dates of this NUWAY event, the change from Disney, probably effected kids schedules with their off season training/team and individual camps, Fargo etc and I believe that/scheduling conflicts is probably the biggest factor keeping all our best HS kids from participating.

Last edited:

One reason could be that Disney is a better event than Atlantic City, and some of those kids aren't interested in the Atlantic City event. Also, the Atlantic City event is right after Fargo- I know at lest two or three of those guys that you mentioned are planning on wrestling in Fargo and will be recovering- the RH 126 and BHP 132 were at Fargo last year. They'll be proving how badass they are there.

Reactions: CavemanMMA

Thought I'd never create an account. Certain dumbasses pulled the right strings and now I'll bite.

That arrogant 126 from Rock Hill will be at plenty of tournaments from May through Fargo. If you need his schedule then let me know. He has been to Flo, Va Beach, Fargo, Super 32, and every qualifying tournament in between. Almost forgot War at the Shore. What other tournament would you like for him to attend to prove his toughness? Plus he goes to Darkhorse and wrestles the best kids in that room at his weight.

As Tony said above that NUWAY tournament is right after Fargo. Apparently you don't know what a week at Fargo takes out of a kid.

He is confident in his ability. If you confuse that with arrogance, that's your problem. How many good wrestlers don't have confidence?

I'll be lurking so let me know if you have any more questions or issues with Rock Hill's 126 pounder.

I think many of kids and I repeat kids Eaglehater thought he'd call out from above are on Team Palmetto. Isn't Eagle Hater a grown man trying to call out kids?
Just saying

All the talk about Fargo, how many have been there to watch, coach or participate? I've only watched and was amazed. It's freaking tough out there. If ya think there's a good wrestler here, there's 30-40 more at Fargo of equal or better talent. It's crazy. A kid can go 7-2 and be 2 or 3 wins short of placing AA. So if you EARN AA, hats off to the kid. If a kid aspires to wrestle D1, Fargo is important to say they've wrestled nationally to get some head to head comparisons, plus olympic styles. If the kid is cutting a lot of weight, that's tough too. Summer work outs aren't like in season to shed the weight. There's no weight loss plan, it's on your own or some/little assistance from a coach or parent to stay true and smart. If the wrestler was lean and mean during the HS season, I'd suggest being even leaner and meaner for a national tourney.

A lot of states are really loose with off season Freestyle/Greco tourneys too. They get scheduled, you hope there's enough there to make a bracket without a 15 pound spread. It's a crap shoot.

All I'm saying is mat time is the most important in the off season. Showing up at a few national tourneys a year is a good thing too. Lets the wrestler know where they stand nationally and what's out there. If the kid is crazy about wrestling and wants to hit everything they can, even better, go get it.

Kids have a lot of choices these days. Cutting weight and grinding it out on the mat isn't the greatest thing I can think of in the summer either.

Reactions: Randombystander
I can only speak for my son. He wrestles some local tourneys. He only cuts weight for Va Beach, Fargo and Super 32. Every other tournament is wrestle what you weigh in the summer/fall. I didn't wrestle so I have to take advice from the people we have trusted him with. So far, so good.

The BHP 132 has wrestled in more high level tournaments than anyone in the state currently wrestling in high school, as well as he is the only Fargo All American. He wrestled in freestyle and greco duals last year and did so as a junior instead of a cadet because of the state not being able to get a team of cadets. He was an all american in greco and lost in the blood round in freestyle, which if he would have won in freestyle he would have been the only double aa this state has ever had. Those tournaments alone have already gotten him more attention that anyone else in the state when it comes to opportunities to wrestle at the collegiate level.

The BHP 106 since joining forces with the 132 has been to every high level tournament available since super 32 qualifier at the beginning of this years freestyle, as well as is signed up and going to fargo. I don't really know exactly what events you are exactly talking about though, since the ones that they should actually be going to in order to garner the most attention I don't believe you actually talk about.

I am currently working on narrowing down their official visits for the fall with them, as well as have been involved with and helping set up Eddie Smiths visits. I am a resource that kids in the state should definitely take advantage of when it comes to College programs looking at them.

swutiger- I will reach out to coach1950 or perhaps someone such as Buckkiller should since they are around him for often haha. I don't think that adding freestyle and greco in the fall or preseason of our high schools is a good idea and not something that any other state practices or does. You build and grow within your own program for the most part during that time period and then branch out, teach, and support freestyle/greco as soon as the high school season comes to an end. It is not like we need to reinvent the wheel there are plenty of successful models already in place but for some reason we cant follow suit. I do like the direction this is finally going though with the brainstorming of what we can actually get done as the first steps to make improvements are coming from all over. This goes to show that it is actually the common belief of coaches across the state and not just me haha. The in state numbers as far as usa tournaments go need to increase especially since every club is claiming to be teaching and training in the international styles. I am sure that coach1950 can attest that while i was growing up in iowa we met every saturday morning all summer long to travel as a club to whatever town was hosting the tournament that weekend and also regularly ended up competing against the same kids, I actually wrestled coach1950 two best kids more times than i can count. Participation comes with success, I ran a free club out of limestone every summer and for years it was pretty much Clary and a few other kids, some nights only 2 or 3 kids, the leittens and mansfields along with Chad Nelsons crew would come when they could. But then as a freshman Clary went undefeated and won a state title as a freshmen and everyone wanted to know where he came from and where he was training and i had 60 kids in the room some nights.

Randombystander-I am going to go out on a limb here but I would be willing to guess that they didn't compete in the team palmetto wrestle offs because of the way team palmetto has been ran the last few years and the lack of respect it now gets in the state because of it. Team palmetto no longer carries any type of high reputation and the kids have a bad taste in their mouth about it. I am sure there were multiple clubs that could have formed their own teams in the last few years and beaten team palmetto. This next comment is probably going to get some negative reactions from people but as i am sure you call have realized i do not really care.........how about Team Palmetto comes and wrestles a dual against a team that i put together? it will help everyone in getting ready for the dual tournament they already have planned as well as get the kids not involved training and getting focused for this push towards fargo?

Tony- you are correct, the ones going to fargo understand that they will need to attack summer training in the same way with the same intensity and dedication/discipline as the high school season and competing in some tournament that doesn't even compare to Fargo at all right afterward is not an appealing option, as well as they have chosen where they are focusing their time, money, and efforts already and it is not going to be for that event over the opportunity to wrestle in the largest wrestling tournament in the world.

Jasonwilkins-tell me one high level wrestler or coach that doesn't get looked at as arrogant, brush it off your shoulder, I have been called the same or similar multiple times on this thread already, where I have not said one arrogant thing, I am just very confident in what I am saying and my own beliefs. haters gonna hate, as well as try and pretend they are in the know. You also couldn't have hit the nail on the head anymore if you tried when you said they don't know what a week in fargo is like, not to mention the preparation leading up to it. Fargo is not just some tournament you just show up to, it is pointless to even waste your time if you have not prepared to the best of your ability.

Wrestleil1-there is no reason for kids to be training and cutting on their own, which is why i keep saying it is so important for us to combine resources as a state in order to prepare our athletes to the best of our ability. Just because we haven't necessarily done a good job of this in the past does not mean that we can't open our eyes and make sure it happens now. The camp will be running out of my facility again this year and the kids will be staying over night in the facility. I encourage all coaches and athletes that are able to come and participate to do so, as it is a lot easier to prepare for such events when you are not doing it alone. I do completely agree with your views on what summer wrestling should be. for those not at the level yet to desire to compete at fargo it should be all about mat time and having fun trying new things. the only hard training/grindin/weight cutting should come in the preparation for fargo and duals, with the preparation for duals being lighter than fargo.

Jasonwilkins-you are spot on with the tournaments you are cutting for and the people you are getting your advice on are smart so you should keep listening to them.

I think the Fort Mill 145's walk around this state has more to do with bowed legs than a bowed chest, fear or pride. He'd love to be on the mat right now, but is still recovering from an injury that happened in the Semis at State. I recommend you demonstrate your ignorance of wrestling and the kids you called out in other ways, and not bash or question these young men who pour their heart into this sport. That is not conducive to promoting growth or competitiveness.

I have been reading this forum ever since I learned I was being transferred to SC. So many threads start off with good intentions of recognizing the kids, but end up tearing down the coaches, clubs, kids, organizations, and schools.

Back to the original thread: Am I the only one in the state that thinks that FD's 106, Jordan Aluyan is an absolute stud?

Jake Hart
hart.jake@gmail.com

Reactions: tony_forte and JYMF
Aluyan is a Stud. Transferred from OK in 6th grade. If there was a P4P list in the state, he would be near the top in my rankings. Fort D also has to be the favorite for the team title. Loaded!

Attacks on kids should never happen in these forums.
Being critical of organizations in the state who aren't pushing to help give our kids opportunities and advance the growth with in the state I'm ok with :)
When my friends in GA complain... I tell them to get a grip!!

Hope for a full and speedy recovery for your boy.

Aluyan is a Stud. Transferred from OK in 6th grade. If there was a P4P list in the state, he would be near the top in my rankings. Fort D also has to be the favorite for the team title. Loaded!

Attacks on kids should never happen in these forums.
Being critical of organizations in the state who aren't pushing to help give our kids opportunities and advance the growth with in the state I'm ok with :)
When my friends in GA complain... I tell them to get a grip!!

Hope for a full and speedy recovery for your boy.

I might be a little biased but the Bearcats might be ok next year

Reactions: SButler
I might be a little biased but the Bearcats might be ok next year

Your bias is understood and appreciated. RH has always been a great program. Back in my day it was a Laprad/Sville & Barnes/RH battle every year. Those two teams had a stranglehold on the State Title for quite a while. Some of the most entertaining battles(both wrestlers and coaches) along with to this day, for me, the most complete/talented teams top to bottom I have seen.

I think right now Fort and RH are the odds on favorites to meet for the state title.

I'm going to make an early prediction...... Fort captures Dual State Title and individual champions with 5 individual titles!

AR has a great program also as does River Bluff, evident as they battled in a tight match in the Lower State Final. I think of course AR will be right in the mix anchored by Trephan, and RB by the Emery's, but if I was a betting man and had to put $ on someone right now , it would be Fort D. Allot can obviously change between now and the end of next season, but right now I'll give the nod to Fort D. They will be loaded with a great balance of Senior leadership and some great young wrestlers.

They also won individual states, which for years was the way it was decided and still determines the National Champion at the next level. Barring injuries or the unexpected, I consider them the best team in SC regardless of classification.

Last edited:
Reactions: revfrank4
Eagle Hater 3333 you do understand that kids also have academic responsibilities. Lexington 113 had SAT on the day that SCYWA had their State Championship. Don't call out kids when you don't know what the heck you are talking about. He just finished wrestling at NHSCA and FloNationals. Has wrestled at Disney Duals every year since 9th grade and is going again this year. Has wrestled in NHSCA National Duals every year. Fear? Pride?

It seems to me that we stress way too much about having lots of tournaments. It's all we ever talk about or think about. Tournaments have their place, but what is the expectation. Kids come out of season having wrestled 50 + matches. Are they really missing out if they take a couple weekends off and enjoy being a teenager, or go off to participate in soccer, baseball or any other spring sport. We have to keep in mind lots of our athletes are doing multiple sports, especially in smaller schools. Does the world end if they miss a SCYWA or USAW tournament? And I encourage both, but not every single weekend. Going to extra tournaments is only one part of improving. Kids need to have a time to physically get strong by weight training, time to drill, and just have practice. I believe in off season wrestling, but not so much that the kids start to deteriorate. A handful of extra tournaments is fine. One thing that I think we are lacking across the state is physical strength. If you look at our wrestlers compared to other wrestlers from other states, we are super weak. Finally, we would all do well to recruit more kids into wrestling in our local areas. If every HS, MS, and Youth Club is able to increase their numbers and retain wrestlers from year to year, the odds of having more accomplished wrestlers in the state goes up.

We can wrestle all the tournaments in the world, but with out improving in practice and training, wrestling more tournaments only can do so much.

J. Cogdill
Swansea Varsity A/C
Former: West Wateree Wrestling Club coach and LE Middle School assistant
(Just in case some one cries about not knowing who I am)

I can only speak for my son. He wrestles some local tourneys. He only cuts weight for Va Beach, Fargo and Super 32. Every other tournament is wrestle what you weigh in the summer/fall. I didn't wrestle so I have to take advice from the people we have trusted him with. So far, so good.

Nobody asked you to speak for your kid or the others. What's the excuse for not going to Disney Duals this year? Excuses! Excuses!

Reactions: Jasonwilkins
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT