ADVERTISEMENT

The next STUD in SC wrestling

Your bias is understood and appreciated. RH has always been a great program. Back in my day it was a Laprad/Sville & Barnes/RH battle every year. Those two teams had a stranglehold on the State Title for quite a while. Some of the most entertaining battles(both wrestlers and coaches) along with to this day, for me, the most complete/talented teams top to bottom I have seen.

I think right now Fort and RH are the odds on favorites to meet for the state title.

I'm going to make an early prediction...... Fort captures Dual State Title and individual champions with 5 individual titles!

Not sure if Eastside has had their National signing day but I'm sure they will be stacked again

Eastside obviously has a good team, but next year I'd take Fort D over them. I don't think those two are scheduled to see each other in a dual, but if they were/are I will certainly pay to see it. Eastside is losing a couple kids and as I have said before Fort Dorchester is loaded ( 4 Individual Titles LY) and only adding.

All Classifications

1) Fort Dorchester
2) Eastside
3) Rock Hill
4) River Bluff
5) BHP

Last edited:
I would certainly be selfish and put my son in the program I feel will best help him reach his goals and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep in the process. This isn't football or baseball where a kid in SC can still flourish individually/get recruited while playing for any level of program. Wrestling is different.

Give me a program where coaches have proven they can develop kids/technique, versus running a basic training, a program that provides year round training, a program that travels to give kids bigger opportunities, and I'll buy in.

No college coach is ultimately going to care if your kid won a SC State Title, they are going to care how your kid has done at events like Super 32, NHSCA/Flo, and Fargo. That is what will ultimately get them recruited and quality coaching and competition is what will help a kid be successful at those events. I have seen some HS wrestling rooms/practices where it is easy to see why kids potential aren't being fully realized. If my son were zoned for a school that had one of those lazy programs, I would certainly do all I could to get him into the right environment.

I wil give Eastside credit for going to tournaments like Beast of The East etc. I believe Lexington regularly travels out of state also. I'm confident if more programs were doing the same, you wouldnt see kids/parents targeting programs like Eastside. The bigger issue to me is why so few of those type of programs exist in the state.

Last edited:
I would certainly be selfish and put my son in the program I feel will best help him reach his goals and I wouldn't lose a minute of sleep in the process. This isn't football or baseball where a kid in SC can still flourish individually/get recruited while playing for any level of program. Wrestling is different.

Give me a program where coaches have proven they can develop kids/technique, versus running a basic training, a program that provides year round training, a program that travels to give kids bigger opportunities, and I'll buy in.

No college coach is ultimately going to care if your kid won a SC State Title, they are going to care how your kid has done at events like Super 32, NHSCA/Flo, and Fargo. That is what will ultimately get them recruited and quality coaching and competition is what will help a kid be successful at those events. I have seen some HS wrestling rooms/practices where it is easy to see why kids potential aren't being fully realized. If my son were zoned for a school that had one of those lazy programs, I would certainly do all I could to get him into the right environment.

I wil give Eastside credit for going to tournaments like Beast of The East etc. I believe Lexington regularly travels out of state also. I'm confident if more programs were doing the same, you wouldnt see kids/parents targeting programs like Eastside. The bigger issue to me is why so few of those type of programs exist in the state.

What happened to people's sense of community? Are people really so overly ambitious that you move your kid to another school to chase a championship? If your kid is really that good, supplement their high school with club, and travel. Seek out private lessons. I think it is absolute bullshit to hear everyone's excuses. People put their kids in these schools, (Eastside, River Bluff, etc..) to chase rings & glory, not for their kids best interest. I have so much more respect for people who actually go where they are zoned, and work to improve a program, than someone chasing glory the easy way. I don't fault those programs or coaches, but rather the lame excuses for parents who make that decision. Those coaches at said schools work their asses off to have those good programs I am sure. This is not to slight them. You pick your college, not your high school. Grow a set.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one" - Bruce Lee

What happened to people's sense of community? Are people really so overly ambitious that you move your kid to another school to chase a championship? If your kid is really that good, supplement their high school with club, and travel. Seek out private lessons. I think it is absolute bullshit to hear everyone's excuses. People put their kids in these schools, (Eastside, River Bluff, etc..) to chase rings & glory, not for their kids best interest. I have so much more respect for people who actually go where they are zoned, and work to improve a program, than someone chasing glory the easy way. I don't fault those programs or coaches, but rather the lame excuses for parents who make that decision. Those coaches at said schools work their asses off to have those good programs I am sure. This is not to slight them. You pick your college, not your high school. Grow a set.

"Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one" - Bruce Lee

Finally! Someone put my thoughts to words! LowcountryWrestlingFan, there's really no sense of community anymore. It's kind of sad. It's rare today to see little kids at parks, gyms, etc. watching the "big boys & girls" with that look in their eyes of wanting to be them one day. Esp. in upstate SC it's "if you want your kid to be good at bball go to..., baseball go to..., football," and so on. If you get mad just transfer. We're blessed with great schools in my community. Only reason I'd take my kids out of a school would be if it were a physical risk to their well being or the academics were below standard. Well said.

Finally! Someone put my thoughts to words! LowcountryWrestlingFan, there's really no sense of community anymore. It's kind of sad. It's rare today to see little kids at parks, gyms, etc. watching the "big boys & girls" with that look in their eyes of wanting to be them one day. Esp. in upstate SC it's "if you want your kid to be good at bball go to..., baseball go to..., football," and so on. If you get mad just transfer. We're blessed with great schools in my community. Only reason I'd take my kids out of a school would be if it were a physical risk to their well being or the academics were below standard. Well said.

It is all about community. I hear people trashing these kids, but they only learn from their parents, who are weak. We are not as blessed in the Lowcountry as the upstate with clubs, but their is a sense of community even within the competitive schools. Many of the top wrestlers practice together, even though they still compete with the schools that they are zoned for. I had many people asking me why I didn't move my kids to the other school. We didn't because this is where we live, and I want my kids to learn that. You don't give up on your community. If you want to win, work harder. If your teammates aren't good enough, then it wasn't meant to be. If your coach isn't good enough, then you work harder and find other means of getting coaching. I could go on for hours about this subject.

With a name that starts with Lowcountry, I assume you are involved in some form with a local team. Maybe you can enlighten me on where all the opportunities for supplemental club training exists in the Lowcountry? Is there a dedicated training facility with great coaching that I have somehow managed to miss. Maybe you can disclose what program you are part of where all that exists so I can check it out.

If a Team State Title did anything to help a kid go to college and wrestle, then your chasing glory the easy way comment might apply. In this case though, it doesn't, and tells me you and I aren't even really looking at the same things. Quality of coaching, the level of competition kids face, and emphasis on off season wrestling, will actually help a kid to get to the next level, so somehow it's not in a kids best interest to go to the school who's program does all those things?

I live in Dorchester County, Summerville, Fort D, Ashley Ridge. In my case from an educational standpoint, I don't see a disadvantage with attending either of those schools. If my kids passion happens to be a sport where only one or two of those programs are actually doing the things mentioned above, please enlighten me on how that lacks a sense of community?

I mean seriously, these schools are all so close together, lines get changed, sense of community has zero to do with it.

For those kids who are 100% dedicated and driven to reach big goals, they deserve a program that is 100% committed to helping them achieve those goals if that opportunity exists, if that means drive a few extra miles to get there, so be it.

I've wrestled, been around the sport for a long time, coached before I ever had kids, so I feel I can responsibly give guidance to my son with the sport. When he plays soccer, baseball or anything else, I leave the coaching and guidance to those better equipped then myself.

If you feel that there is some character building victory a kid will gain by choosing a program that doesn't give them the best chance to be successful, you are entitled to your opinion. I believe the sport of wrestling itself teaches all the important qualities we want our young children/adults to have. I don't think a parent putting their kid in the best environment diminishes that one bit.

I don't think that makes any parent weak or suggests they have to grow a set.

Last edited:
There are so many bullshit answers given on this subject! Eastside is a good program because they go out and get kids. Take the kids away they recruited in and they don't beat BHP! Any coach could win with their recruits! It's the "I am entitled" attitude of the families too. I'd rather my kid be somebody that started the dynasty, not a bandwagon kid. The real world will be a shocker to these young athletes! It will be the fault of their parents! Those coaches that are recruiting you for wins now won't give a shit about you in 5 years!

These coaches and other parents posting on here think and say the same thing I'm posting but it's not politically correct for them to say it in public. Had a few say that in my presence.

Are you really doing what's best for your kid by allowing him to be recruited? Or are you doing it so you can brag to the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram world that your baby is a team state champion.

Can somebody post how many college wrestlers from each high school? Not guys that have went and dropped out in 2 months! Let's see which schools are really developing these kids into young men. Ready, Set, Go!!!

I have a feeling the results will show parents send kids to certain schools because of team state championships.

And Summerville, Fort D, Ashley Ridge is a community. Eastside gets kids from Spartanburg, Travelers Rest, Blue Ridge, Christ Church. Just to name a few

I am glad I was recruited..... It created a better life for me. If not, I would be picking apples in Juarez. Its hot along the Rio Grande.....

it does bring up a good point. somebodys middle schooler might hate wrestling in a couple years because ol dad is living out his dream through his kid..... I know I know.... He loves it.... Just like julio jr loves to eat Taquis for dinner, but I dont let him do that either.... gotta have tacos.... good protein gotta get him ready for the 4 year old SCWAY 6 month season coming up.

How many eligible college wrestlers that have been all over the scywa country have actually finished 4 years of college competition?

There are so many bullshit answers given on this subject! Eastside is a good program because they go out and get kids. Take the kids away they recruited in and they don't beat BHP! Any coach could win with their recruits! It's the "I am entitled" attitude of the families too. I'd rather my kid be somebody that started the dynasty, not a bandwagon kid. The real world will be a shocker to these young athletes! It will be the fault of their parents! Those coaches that are recruiting you for wins now won't give a shit about you in 5 years!

These coaches and other parents posting on here think and say the same thing I'm posting but it's not politically correct for them to say it in public. Had a few say that in my presence.

Are you really doing what's best for your kid by allowing him to be recruited? Or are you doing it so you can brag to the Facebook, Twitter, Instagram world that your baby is a team state champion.

If your son wrestles for a program that you feel is doing all they can for their wrestlers, then he is in the right place. I'm not advocating for a kid to switch schools JUST so he can be part of A Team State Championship. I feel like my posts have been clear on that.

What I do advocate is for parents to put their kids in the best environment for them to be successful if they have the opportunity to chose between a lazy program and one that goes the extra mile. Their is a difference. All programs, even with top coaches, schedules etc have tough/down years. If my son was going to wrestle for the right program who is just in a down run, absolutely he is in the right place and wouldn't think about putting him somewhere just to be part of a Team Championship. Sure a Team State Title is good for the school and kids, but for me I'm measuring the program, and all those things I mentioned with it, not Team Titles.

When I was in GA, people used to say that about Collins Hill when they were in their run. That school put several kids in D1 programs and produced some D1 AA's from that run, Then Archer had their run, and now it's Buford, Camden etc. One thing all those programs did though is they had a commitment to year round wrestling, scheduling the best competition for their kids, Beast of East , Stampede, Powerade etc... If your kid was at one of those schools, they had all resources available to them, so parents with dedicated kids who were slated to go to schools, where wrestling was an after thought/ Lazy program, did what they could to put those kids in one of those programs.

I can promise you it wasn't the thought of a Team Title that drew the interest of parent and wrestler alike, it was the program and the prospect of giving their kid the best chance to chase the dream, wrestle at the D1 level.

If you don't think the kids on teams going out and wrestling some of these tough out of state tournaments aren't coming into the State Tournament and Post Season a little more prepared then the kids whose teams wrestle the tournaments like the Stratford Duals etc every other weekend, your kidding yourself.

I firmly believe the more opportunities that surface, like dedicated training centers, the less you will see this type of activity. Kids from inferior programs will be given the opportunity to get solid training with good partners. Several schools will be getting quality kids in their program. At that point it ultimately pushes each program to better themselves, travel , seek better competition etc, and the programs that stay lazy will always struggle.

Last edited:
With a name that starts with Lowcountry, I assume you are involved in some form with a local team. Maybe you can enlighten me on where all the opportunities for supplemental club training exists in the Lowcountry? Is there a dedicated training facility with great coaching that I have somehow managed to miss. Maybe you can disclose what program you are part of where all that exists so I can check it out.

If a Team State Title did anything to help a kid go to college and wrestle, then your chasing glory the easy way comment might apply. In this case though, it doesn't, and tells me you and I aren't even really looking at the same things. Quality of coaching, the level of competition kids face, and emphasis on off season wrestling, will actually help a kid to get to the next level, so somehow it's not in a kids best interest to go to the school who's program does all those things?

I live in Dorchester County, Summerville, Fort D, Ashley Ridge. In my case from an educational standpoint, I don't see a disadvantage with attending either of those schools. If my kids passion happens to be a sport where only one or two of those programs are actually doing the things mentioned above, please enlighten me on how that lacks a sense of community?

I mean seriously, these schools are all so close together, lines get changed, sense of community has zero to do with it.

For those kids who are 100% dedicated and driven to reach big goals, they deserve a program that is 100% committed to helping them achieve those goals if that opportunity exists, if that means drive a few extra miles to get there, so be it.

I've wrestled, been around the sport for a long time, coached before I ever had kids, so I feel I can responsibly give guidance to my son with the sport. When he plays soccer, baseball or anything else, I leave the coaching and guidance to those better equipped then myself.

If you feel that there is some character building victory a kid will gain by choosing a program that doesn't give them the best chance to be successful, you are entitled to your opinion. I believe the sport of wrestling itself teaches all the important qualities we want our young children/adults to have. I don't think a parent putting their kid in the best environment diminishes that one bit.

I don't think that makes any parent weak or suggests they have to grow a set.

SButler

I think that you are missing the point. I do not believe I would be teaching my kid anything by taking him or her to another school for their athletic benefit. We are not talking about enrolling your kid in Charleston School of the Arts, or paying for Porter Gaud. In this instance we are talking about parents enrolling their child in a school that they are not zoned for, with the sole purpose of furthering their athletic career. To me that screams taking the easy way. When my child tells me that their coach is this, or that, my answer is always the same. Work Harder. Despite all of your rationalizing, at the end of the day, there is a distinct difference. We both want what is best for our kids, I'm just playing a long game, and not teaching my kid to take the path of least resistance. Many a kid did not go to the school with the best coaching and still made it to achieve their goal. If they want it, they will make it. Whether they go to Burke, or to Fort Dorchester.

As far as quality of coaching & level of competition those are things that you can supplement in the offseason. In the Lowcountry there is Charleston Wrestling Training Center, Summerville Takedown Club, Mafia Wrestling, Gator Wrestling Club, Junior Island Wrestling and also trains in the offseason as well. All of those clubs have kids from multiple schools, not just kids who may go to that school. Most of those clubs travel and I have seen a ton of those kids at high level competitions. There is no doubt that the Upstate has an advantage in terms of available high level clubs, but that has not stopped any of the lowcountry kids from success on a state level or a national level.

I never wrestled so I cannot offer any coaching to my kids. I can offer them support and life advice. I have worked to find them whatever coaching that they need.

I think it is bullshit for these kids to not go where they are zoned. I would never dream of moving my kid to Fort or AR. I can't imagine what that would teach my child. Again, if you want it make it happen. If it is hard, or you fail, you'll be better for it later in life. You only deserve what you earn. Nothing more.

Can somebody post how many college wrestlers from each high school? Not guys that have went and dropped out in 2 months! Let's see which schools are really developing these kids into young men. Ready, Set, Go!!!

I have a feeling the results will show parents send kids to certain schools because of team state championships.

I'll start.....

West-Oak

Jason Tannery
Adam Duncan
Joseph Winkler
Eric Rholetter

Did I miss anyone? West Oak has to build with-in. Who wants to move to Westminster? NOBODY!!!

The more internet sleuthing I do, the more I find this to be accurate. There are lot's of SC kids that have gone 4 years. Some from successful programs, and plenty from programs that are moderately successful to not so much.

LowcountryWrestlingFan.....It's not rationalization, I think ultimately we are just thinking on different levels.

There is nothing easy about wrestling, any kid that does it has earned my respect. I would argue that the kid who seeks the toughest/most challenging Program/Environment for himself is actually choosing the Harder path.

A kid opting for a program where he will face tougher competition, have to work just to find a spot in the line up from a program where he might have been a captain/best on the team, I see nothing easy about that.

Better being a little fish in a big pond , then a big fish in a little pond. Anyway you and I will just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

SButler,

I certainly agree there is nothing easy about wrestling. I think your argument that is invalid in that the tougher path is to build YOUR program in to the better program. Not the path of least resistance.

If a kid transfers from Travelers Rest to Eastside is he not still in the same region? If a kid transfers from White Knoll or Lexington to River Bluff, are they not in the same region? I think these are fundamental points that are ignored. The kids are being placed in those programs to achieve team success.

The off season is where the true tough competition can be faced. A less successful program can still send their kid to the Southern Slam, or the Coastal Clash to face the tougher competition during the season.

I will use two kids as examples that I should not, because I only know them in passing. Dylan Bailey attends Wren. Hardly a wrestling powerhouse by anyone's standards. No offense to their coaching staff or wrestlers but that school is not the picture off success in wrestling. Dylan is always training with Trent Goodale, and traveling to the toughest out of state off season competitions.
Ben Dodd attends Travelers Rest, and also trains with Goodale, and placed second at state this year. He also wrestles in the off season & attends a school whose best wrestlers have enrolled in Eastside. They are both in Greenville county with the same option to choose the school they attend. Those kids have a tremendous work ethic, and have worked to build their school up. That garners far more respect from me. Call that a difference in opinion, but I still believe it is a cop out. Find tough drill partners. Find good coaching. If that means you had to work harder than others, you are better off for it. That is life.

I guess by that thought process we should look down upon David Taylor , Mark Hall and the countless other college wrestlers and their families for moving to top tier MS/HS programs to put them in the best environment to be successful, taking the easy way?

We are just thinking on different levels.

SC kids have to work harder then 90% of the other states wrestlers to get College recruiting attention. I think to suggest that in that environment a kid and his family shouldn't pursue a program that is a legal option, does more to develop wrestlers/gives their wrestlers more opportunity, is silly.

I guess by that thought process we should look down upon David Taylor , Mark Hall and the countless other college wrestlers and their families for moving to top tier MS/HS programs to put them in the best environment to be successful, taking the easy way?

We are just thinking on different levels.

SC kids have to work harder then 90% of the other states wrestlers to get College recruiting attention. I think to suggest that in that environment a kid and his family shouldn't pursue a program that is a legal option, does more to develop wrestlers/gives their wrestlers more opportunity, is silly.

They went to schools that get wrestlers ready for college, etc. Sure these schools you keep defending have great team results but none of them send more kids to college over any other school in SC. Why is that if they have superior training?

Reactions: 2sem
They went to schools that get wrestlers ready for college, etc. Sure these schools you keep defending have great team results but none of them send more kids to college over any other school in SC. Why is that if they have superior training?

I think you have me mistaken. I'm not defending any school. My comments are in general.

There are HS wrestling programs in this state that have coaches that no little about the sport of wrestling, never mind how to teach it. They are just filling a void picking up some extra $. So if my kid is zoned to go to a program like that, but has an option to go to a school with a solid program, I'm supposed to just keep him in the program being run by the assistant tennis coach. That will somehow provide him with some valuable life lessons about taking the hard path.....and he will be better for it......Sorry just can't follow that logic!!

Last edited:
I think you guys are failing to realize a lot of important things. All of you make good points regardless of your opinions, but let me offer you this from a coaches perspective. A lot of schools have travel restrictions as to how far they are allowed to go from there schools, so some of those other tournaments are not possible no matter how much a coach would like to travel to them. Personally I would love to take my team all over the place to wrestle the best because I believe that is how you get better, but unfortunately the reality of it is that isn't always possible, so we do the best we can with what we've got.

As far as the offseason goes. The program is there to have freestyle and greco training, but again the driving force behind this is money. A lot kids and there parents can't afford for them to go to a "top" club, and travel all over the place to wrestle during the summer, and as much as I would love to pay for all of them to do this myself, the truth is I can't because they don't pay us teachers that much, so those kids rely on just practicing with their high school during the offseason. I personally don't have a problem with this because I want them to enjoy being kids. What's wrong with practicing a couple of days a week and maybe going to a tournament or two? Nothing at all if you ask me. If a kid wants to do that, it doesn't make them inferior or not passionate about the sport. I have coached many kids who didn't do anything during the offseason, and they were just fine. I think this idea that if you don't go at it hardcore then you won't be "elite" is wrong. Do you need to put in extra work? Yes. But at the end of the day these are kids and they have lives. Not to mention speaking for my team, we wrestle so much during the regular season that they do want a break during the spring and summer. I believe in hard work, and do whatever it takes to get better because personally I hate to lose, and I think that rubs off on my kids, but there are factors beyond our control that makes a lot of the things you guys are talking about virtually impossible.

I know I haven't said too much that hasn't already been said, but the point is some of you live in a fantasy world, and as great as all of these things sound they just aren't possible for everyone. Growing the sport is great and it's always the goal but there's a different idea of that for everyone. For me growing the sport is getting five more kids to come to practice that weren't there the week before. It's a small way to think, but we all have to start somewhere. That's my opinion like it or not I don't really care, but I hope you sit back and consider things like this before we start talking about the lack of effort by kids or coaches to participate in the offseason.

David Strait
Head Wrestling Coach
Westwood HighSchool

Reactions: BuckkillerSC
SButler,

I certainly agree there is nothing easy about wrestling. I think your argument that is invalid in that the tougher path is to build YOUR program in to the better program. Not the path of least resistance.

If a kid transfers from Travelers Rest to Eastside is he not still in the same region? If a kid transfers from White Knoll or Lexington to River Bluff, are they not in the same region? I think these are fundamental points that are ignored. The kids are being placed in those programs to achieve team success.

The off season is where the true tough competition can be faced. A less successful program can still send their kid to the Southern Slam, or the Coastal Clash to face the tougher competition during the season.

I will use two kids as examples that I should not, because I only know them in passing. Dylan Bailey attends Wren. Hardly a wrestling powerhouse by anyone's standards. No offense to their coaching staff or wrestlers but that school is not the picture off success in wrestling. Dylan is always training with Trent Goodale, and traveling to the toughest out of state off season competitions.
Ben Dodd attends Travelers Rest, and also trains with Goodale, and placed second at state this year. He also wrestles in the off season & attends a school whose best wrestlers have enrolled in Eastside. They are both in Greenville county with the same option to choose the school they attend. Those kids have a tremendous work ethic, and have worked to build their school up. That garners far more respect from me. Call that a difference in opinion, but I still believe it is a cop out. Find tough drill partners. Find good coaching. If that means you had to work harder than others, you are better off for it. That is life.

Wren is in Anderson 1 not GCSD.

Lets just cut to the chase..... everyone that is saying "I want to help SC kids get better and improve their chances at college opportunities" great!!!!!..... volunteer your time or coach for minimum pay like so many great people do. Lots of programs around the state have LOTS of great people that volunteer and dont get paid, nor do they expect to. THEY WANT TO HELP KIDS SUCCEED.

Dont expect kids or USA wrestling to pay you for "Helping SC kids"

If you want to earn a living off of kids and earn praise when they succeed, then say "I want to exploit kids for my benefit"

Someone mentioned Gymnastics and cheerleading having places to go and develop. Those are super expensive sports that are trying to earn money off kids.

I am just confused as to what people are really marketing here. But again....I am mexican.... I get confused easily..... Back to landscaping

No answer on how many 4 year college wrestlers have graduated from Eastside in the last 10 years?

Next question. How many transfers does Fort Mill, Rock Hill, West Oak, BHP, Fort D, Lexington, AR, Chapin, Battery Creek, and Hilton Head have on their roster? All solid programs with good coaches.

Lets just cut to the chase..... everyone that is saying "I want to help SC kids get better and improve their chances at college opportunities" great!!!!!..... volunteer your time or coach for minimum pay like so many great people do. Lots of programs around the state have LOTS of great people that volunteer and dont get paid, nor do they expect to. THEY WANT TO HELP KIDS SUCCEED.

If you want to earn a living off of kids and earn praise when they succeed, then say "I want to exploit kids for my benefit"

Someone mentioned Gymnastics and cheerleading having places to go and develop. Those are super expensive sports that are trying to earn money off kids.

I am just confused as to what people are really marketing here. But again....I am mexican.... I get confused easily..... Back to landscaping

I really hate mowing my lawn. Are you for hire?

volunteer your time or coach for minimum pay like so many great people do. Lots of programs around the state have LOTS of great people that volunteer and dont get paid, nor do they expect to. THEY WANT TO HELP KIDS SUCCEED.

I mean Greenville county schools have been doing this for years. I read something (it was tough because it wasnt in spanish) about all greenville county schools getting together to make each other better just before the state tournament. Do yall think every kid had to pay a fee to do that?

We are for hire hater.... Its a long drive from Greelyville to Travelers rest though.....Since that is the place that the eagles poach the most.....

Cool, the main recruiter from Eastside is liking all my post.

Even got some to spend their hard earned money on t shirts!

SButler - if these so called "great schools" are not sending their wrestlers to college for 4 years, what is the reason to send them there? It's to win high school state team titles. When those same kids are serving burgers in 5 years, tell me what they get from transferring???? If you sent your child there and he won 4 team state titles but didn't go off to college to wrestle....would that be considered a success?

It is frustrating when high school coaches recruit to win state titles to cement their legacy but in the long run do nothing for the kids.

No answer on how many 4 year college wrestlers have graduated from Eastside in the last 10 years?

Next question. How many transfers does Fort Mill, Rock Hill, West Oak, BHP, Fort D, Lexington, AR, Chapin, Battery Creek, and Hilton Head have on their roster? All solid programs with good coaches.

WEST-OAK has zero transfers. The only transfer we had in the past 4 years was a great practice "partner".

I think you have me mistaken. I'm not defending any school. My comments are in general.

There are HS wrestling programs in this state that have coaches that no little about the sport of wrestling, never mind how to teach it. They are just filling a void picking up some extra $. So if my kid is zoned to go to a program like that, but has an option to go to a school with a solid program, I'm supposed to just keep him in the program being run by the assistant tennis coach. That will somehow provide him with some valuable life lessons about taking the hard path.....and he will be better for it......Sorry just can't follow that logic!!

The part about the terrible coaches I get. I don't think that the schools being discussed in specific fall in to those categories. I'll be curious to see which way you swing since that logic really doesn't apply in Dorchester county. All three schools have solid coaching staffs.

Great post Julio!!

I'll say this again. JET coaches do not get paid to coach their wrestlers. All volunteered.That's why I like to help because I see so many people helping this club because they care about kids and not the almighty dollar. And i'll say this again, JET and EASTSIDE's club are the "premier" upstate wrestling clubs in SC.

Reactions: dmaholtz

So your one of those everything in life is free... I got it. I mentioned Gymnastics and Soccer as I have paid much more for them. Had great coaches that weren't getting rich off any kids. I never questioned their passion or commitment to the sport they were teaching.

I guess I should expect the coach to lease/but this big warehouse, pay for all the equipment and spend all day working with kids, meanwhile going completely bankrupt to please folks like you. Give me a break. I've never seen any of these people live extravagant lifestyles.

I have volunteered plenty of my time in the past and I would have no issue paying a dedicated facility with the right people to work with my son.

There is a place and a need for them all 1) Local Clubs with volunteer coaches 2) Paid training centers where kids can train full or part time.

This idea that paid coaches are only exploiting kids, up to no good is garbage. It's also the mindset that helps keep us right where we're at with the sport of wrestling in SC!

Last edited:

SButler - if these so called "great schools" are not sending their wrestlers to college for 4 years, what is the reason to send them there? It's to win high school state team titles. When those same kids are serving burgers in 5 years, tell me what they get from transferring???? If you sent your child there and he won 4 team state titles but didn't go off to college to wrestle....would that be considered a success?

It is frustrating when high school coaches recruit to win state titles to cement their legacy but in the long run do nothing for the kids.

Let me try and be as clear as I can so that I feel like I have done all I can to remove any confusion on my thoughts.

If you search you will see plenty from me on the fact that We need to Improve as a State to create more college opportunities for our wrestlers. Right now no program is funneling out D1 prospects. That's the problem. I firmly believe as I have broke down in other threads, the biggest change needs to happen at the youth level. Not too many HS coaches in SC have the background/experience/time etc to develop a D1 Caliber wrestler. For 95% of the kids, that work needs to be done before that wrestler ever steps on that campus, at the Youth level. You will always have those 5% exception to the rule kids.

I've seen it, been around it , and the results don't lie.

Southern Slam and the Clash saw some young studs from GA. Nick Masters, Nick Stonecheck, Darracott, Ashton, etc Do you think those guys are a product of their HS coach?? Those kids were already studs before they stepped foot on campus. Compound... Roper , Fretwell, Bedard ,Carr, Ragan etc developed those kids at a young age and many others in that state and continue to play a huge role with those even while in HS/even in season.

Millhoff, Russell, Bullards, etc TWA. The point is their HS coaches are getting kids who they just need to help put some finishing touches on.

What these kids/parents are looking for is a HS program that will travel to allow their kids to face the toughest competition they can, have solid practice partners, and if you get a coach that is one of the ones who can also help develop their wrestling ability, then that's a bonus. But kids there and other states will always have access to great coaching and great partners even if they can't get it in their HS rooms.

Now we don't have that environment in SC, so to me that makes it even more critical to put your kid in the best HS program you can in SC if you have that opportunity, as those options above aren't widely available here.

Maybe coaches recruit for the purpose of a Team State Title, I'm not familiar or close enough to any of the mentioned programs to know. I believe some parents seek some of those programs for reasons I mentioned. Either way I'm not looking at it from any other standpoint then what I have addressed, which is I have no issue with a kid/parent opting for a program they feel gives them the best opportunity to be successful. Our kids are competing with kids from states that have all these opportunities for college scholarships, I certainly wouldn't try to handicap a kid even more.

Last edited:
The part about the terrible coaches I get. I don't think that the schools being discussed in specific fall in to those categories. I'll be curious to see which way you swing since that logic really doesn't apply in Dorchester county. All three schools have solid coaching staffs.

James... I don't think this topic was about me, but more in general or focused on parts of the upstate. My thoughts are still the same, which is I would and have no issue with anyone who opts for a program available to them because they feel that program gives their kid the best chance to be successful. Anything less is questionable to me.

As I'm sure you know, in Dorchester county one can attend any of the 3 HS's legally based on education path/focus. So I wouldn't blame any parent of a rising freshman wrestler in Dorchester County for evaluating the programs and choosing the one that they feel gives their kids the best opportunity for succcess.

Last edited:

This might be the MOST idiotic thing I have EVER heard. Does a student athlete have to wrestle in college to be considered a success? Does he even have to wrestle for a D1 school to be considered a success? I think not. The person he becomes through wrestling, is the success. Teaching technique, reviewing skills drills and conditioning are the easy parts. Helping them understand what good choices and developing character, not so much. If you would like to discuss whether Eastside and their coaches help do this, have a talk with some of their graduates. I have been fortunate enough to get to work with some of them.

This might be the MOST idiotic thing I have EVER heard. Does a student athlete have to wrestle in college to be considered a success? Does he even have to wrestle for a D1 school to be considered a success? I think not. The person he becomes through wrestling, is the success. Teaching technique, reviewing skills drills and conditioning are the easy parts. Helping them understand what good choices and developing character, not so much. If you would like to discuss whether Eastside and their coaches help do this, have a talk with some of their graduates. I have been fortunate enough to get to work with some of them.

And you are an Eagle dumbass! These kids are not going to Eastside for the academics only. kids get academic scholarships from the schools they left! They are transferring for wrestling! If the Eagles' wrestling team sucked they would not be there.

If they are transferring for wrestling, how many kids go off to wrestle in college?

And you are an Eagle dumbass! These kids are not going to Eastside for the academics only. kids get academic scholarships from the schools they left! They are transferring for wrestling! If the Eagles' wrestling team sucked they would not be there.

If they are transferring for wrestling, how many kids go off to wrestle in college?
Why is that even in question? Why does it matter if they go to wrestle in college? If you don't think that being part of an elite wrestling program, like Eastside will help mold them into successful individuals for the rest of their lives, you are deranged

Why is that even in question? Why does it matter if they go to wrestle in college? If you don't think that being part of an elite wrestling program, like Eastside will help mold them into successful individuals for the rest of their lives, you are deranged

Deranged? Lmao
I'm sure the schools these kids transferred from graduate kids that are successful. You Eagles act like they don't transfer just for wrestling! They do! I believe I have a legitimate question. If they are transferring for wrestling purposes then it's for one of two reasons. To win state team titles or to receive the training to wrestle in college. They aren't sending kids to college, to wrestle. Must be recruiting them for the coach and his legacy. We can argue all day but parents on this board keep saying they don't blame kids for transferring there. Only thing those recruits get are state titles in SC. Wow!

Reactions: dmaholtz and 2sem
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT