ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers!!!

0ldtimer

Rookie
Jun 25, 2016
I was talking to some friends the other day and they mentioned some transfers that could be game changers...
Anyone seen the kid from Texas that now goes to Fort Mill? Or the Illinois kid that goes to River Bluff? Are they real deal, or just happened to wrestle and moved here and because we're South Carolina we flip out over them being here?!
I know there have been school transfers too like Eastside getting Hunter Allen's brother.

I was talking to some friends the other day and they mentioned some transfers that could be game changers...
Anyone seen the kid from Texas that now goes to Fort Mill? Or the Illinois kid that goes to River Bluff? Are they real deal, or just happened to wrestle and moved here and because we're South Carolina we flip out over them being here?!
I know there have been school transfers too like Eastside getting Hunter Allen's brother.

Transfers? You're being too nice or politically correct. Someone moving from another state are transfers. Someone moving in to a new school from a different county in the same state and not moving is a recruit. Giving a mother a desk job so a Spartanburg kid can move to Eastside is recruiting. At least that's what everyone is talking about.

Reactions: scpackfan
Transfers? You're being too nice or politically correct. Someone moving from another state are transfers. Someone moving in to a new school from a different county in the same state and not moving is a recruit. Giving a mother a desk job so a Spartanburg kid can move to Eastside is recruiting. At least that's what everyone is talking about.
You talk about recruiting like Eastside coaches go on the road, scout and then begin the "Mr. Smither's" devious path to enticing a kid to go to school there. They simply run the top notch program in the state and share their wrestling room with a well run youth program. If kids come to Eastside, it's their parents' decision, and I can assure you they did not get secret calls at 2AM to discuss how to make it happen. To suggest that the "Spartanburg kid's mom" was given a desk job to get their kid to go to Eastside is a little beyond the tongue in cheek sarcasm of these boards. That mom happens to be highly qualified to do the job she does, and she sought the job, not the other way around. Maybe you and your team should focus more on building a program that kids are attracted to rather than continuously whining about someone else's success. I'm sure you're that sales guy who always complains that the more successful sales guy just has better customers instead of working hard to make yourself successful. I look forward to the snide "if Koz makes a sudden stop, SWUTiger will be able to tell you what he ate for breakfast" type comments.

Good luck to your son and team this year, and remember - Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Go Eagles!

Eaglehater... Couple of things for you...
1. You claim that everyone is tired of Eastside, yet you are the only person I've ever heard say that the county wants to put a stop to the open enrollment. No one complains when it's baseball season about Jl Mann or tennis with Mauldin.
2. When Dorman got Clary last year no one complained. When Van slooten was completing his "Journey" no one raised an eyebrow that he went so Summerville. They were more mad at his dad for moving him.
3. Your attitude and overall dislike for Eastside is shared by many, much like people where I come from hate Rock Hill. Yet you do nothing but try to ruin a coach and his team's reputation by throwing out insults about their program, and them doing what is acceptable to their county.

Reactions: swutiger
As a parent, At the end of the day I'm not/wouldn't be concerned about what anyone thought ...other parent..coaches/other coaches etc...My only concern would be putting my son in the best position to maximize his potential. In wrestling at the HS level, that includes 3 main things for me in no particular order
1) Coaching staff- Do I think they are proven/capable of improving my sons wrestling abilities once he gets in the room. Is this just a football coach etc holding down the position for the stipend.....or is there high level technique progressing in the room.
2) Schedule / School Support- Does the team travel out of state to expose kids to better competition. In a state like SC that is critical to me, as we are lagging /behind most states in the sport. I'd certainly want my kid with the program that puts out the most aggressive schedule in my area.
3) Does the program have a track record of getting kids to the next level /college.

So I don't see why any parent would blame another parent try to put their kid in that situation for HS.

Last edited:
Eaglehater - I don't recall what team you support or coach??? Maybe we can arrange a meeting and settle this on the mat. Let your coaching abilities show...

Reactions: CavemanMMA
You talk about recruiting like Eastside coaches go on the road, scout and then begin the "Mr. Smither's" devious path to enticing a kid to go to school there. They simply run the top notch program in the state and share their wrestling room with a well run youth program. If kids come to Eastside, it's their parents' decision, and I can assure you they did not get secret calls at 2AM to discuss how to make it happen. To suggest that the "Spartanburg kid's mom" was given a desk job to get their kid to go to Eastside is a little beyond the tongue in cheek sarcasm of these boards. That mom happens to be highly qualified to do the job she does, and she sought the job, not the other way around. Maybe you and your team should focus more on building a program that kids are attracted to rather than continuously whining about someone else's success. I'm sure you're that sales guy who always complains that the more successful sales guy just has better customers instead of working hard to make yourself successful. I look forward to the snide "if Koz makes a sudden stop, SWUTiger will be able to tell you what he ate for breakfast" type comments.

Good luck to your son and team this year, and remember - Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. Go Eagles!

I am sure you mean "a top notch program in the state" not "the top notch program in the state" right? I would think the top notch program in the state would be one who trained mainly their own kids. When you have an open county to pull kids from then you really are exceeding your classification. If you are a 4a school but can pull from the entire county then in reality you have the same access to kids as a 7a school in Georgia. If it is the rule then there is nothing wrong with it and we would do it if we could but don't act like you are a 1200 student school training great wrestlers when you are pulling from everywhere. There are allot of programs in this state who If they had that kind of numbers to pull from would have great teams.

I am sure you mean "a top notch program in the state" not "the top notch program in the state" right? I would think the top notch program in the state would be one who trained mainly their own kids. When you have an open county to pull kids from then you really are exceeding your classification. If you are a 4a school but can pull from the entire county then in reality you have the same access to kids as a 7a school in Georgia. If it is the rule then there is nothing wrong with it and we would do it if we could but don't act like you are a 1200 student school training great wrestlers when you are pulling from everywhere. There are allot of programs in this state who If they had that kind of numbers to pull from would have great teams.

OMG!!!! Finally someone else notices. Well not really but Perfectly stated HSH. Funny thing is they're building their team from "the other schools" while their own students take the back seat. They don't want to build from within, just go outside and recruit. That's just sad for the Eastside kids. Take their recruits away and they're nothing. Just nothing.

Hey Richard,
Oh I said what school I support. Ur just too stupid to read it.
I'm guessing you're from Byrnes... Do you follow all Byrnes wrestling? Or just live in D5 and hate that if a kid moves 4 miles up the road they can go wherever they want to for high school??

Swutiger..... so this is true? A wrestler that lives in Spartanburg rides with his mother to Eastside where she now works? The reason I'm asking is that headspinhenry has a valid point on the school size thing (pulling wrestlers from all over the county and now other county's) and being considered a 4A school. I know there is an open enrollment but you give validity to the point about kids coming in from another county. Being a teacher or principal requires you to be highly qualified. That just doesn't seem legitimate to me. You seem to know more about this than us so anymore detail to this that you can share?

I will say this is the most correct thing that has been said on this thread as of today. Great post!!!!!!

Swutiger..... so this is true? A wrestler that lives in Spartanburg rides with his mother to Eastside where she now works? The reason I'm asking is that headspinhenry has a valid point on the school size thing (pulling wrestlers from all over the county and now other county's) and being considered a 4A school. I know there is an open enrollment but you give validity to the point about kids coming in from another county. Being a teacher or principal requires you to be highly qualified. That just doesn't seem legitimate to me. You seem to know more about this than us so anymore detail to this that you can share?
Again - Eastside does not "PULL" anyone. There are only 3 kids on Eastside's team that are not zoned for Eastside and two are twins. Their parents made the decision to request Eastside. Additionally, these kids got involved with Eastside at the youth level. So they were Eastside trained as kids. There are also many kids who wrestled with Eastside Youth that decided not to request Eastside as a school - Kyle Flyte is a current one that comes to mind. And Eastside is not "acting like a 1200 student school training great wrestlers". They are a 1200 kid school, and they do train great wrestlers beginning at the youth level. This thread reads like 14 of 14 starters for Eastside and all of their 66 state champions over the years were out of district. The only time this issue has come up is with the current group of 3 - all freshmen (and Jordie whose dad has stated multiple times that THEY decided to move to the Eastside district BEFORE he started high school). What other kids through the years were not zoned for Eastside? Also - regarding Greenville County's policy for kids of full time students - this is the link to the policy: http://www.boarddocs.com/sc/greenville/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=876KTZ79E45A. There's no recruiting, no "pulling from all over the county", there only seems to be a lot of people making excuses for their team's lack of success when compared to Eastside's. And yes - I intentionally stated "THE top notch program" - not "A top notch program". Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! Go Tigers!

I don't get the problem - if a kid wants to go to a program he feels will help him achieve his goals so what? Win with who you've got. Other programs in the Greenville area need to step up their game so that kids won't want to leave for Eastside. Simple as that.

I don't get the problem - if a kid wants to go to a program he feels will help him achieve his goals so what? Win with who you've got. Other programs in the Greenville area need to step up their game so that kids won't want to leave for Eastside. Simple as that.
Agreed, and again - it's 3 kids in how many years?

Back to the original discussion... the Fort Mill transfer is an absolute hammer whose attitude makes up for anything he lacks in skill (which doesnt seem to be very much). His final against a nationally ranked senior from Camden County showed a degree of grit and determination that is uncommon to say the least at the high school level in our state. He has my utmost respect. I've heard great things about the BHP transfer as well--his Southern Slam results speak for themselves. No comment on the River Bluff wrestler. I hope to see him soon.

Sad , the focus of the thread is the balance of power in a county. Yet our kids/SC wrestling continues to fall further behind other states every year and people in the wrestling community here don't seem to get concerned about that.

GA could probably put together an All Freshman team that could beat a SC team made up of the best wrestler at every weight. And that isn't because the kids there are more talented, it's because the wrestling environment, the focus and progression in the state is where it should be.

Eastside has a good program, but how many wrestlers have they put in DIV 1 programs.. How many Fargo AA's... How many Super 32 placers.... Allot of things have to happen to get SC wrestling on a competitive level regionally/nationally, starting with the bigger picture.

Last edited:
Reactions: CavemanMMA
Ok I'll take some of that action:

106 - Aluyan - Ft D
113 - White - ES
120 - Aquino - Dor
126 - Smith - WO
132 - Mansfield - BHP
138 - Leitten - FT M
145 - Emery - RB
152 - Caspio - Dor
160 - McKinney - Pow
170 - Christie - HH
182 - Newton - Emr
195 - Caleb Hill - Eas
220 - Stiffler - SV
285 - James - WO

GA is definitely farther along than SC. Especially the suburbs of Atl, which let's not forget is one of the largest cities in the country. But to come on here and tout that a team of freshman is going to beat an all star team from SC, convincingly? I want some of what you're smokin!!

The team I listed consists of just the best guys that I happen to know. I'd be willing to bet there are several coaches in our fine state that would take your challenge with just their varsity team.

Reactions: revfrank4
The point isn't about an actual dual match between the best Freshmen in GA with an SC All-Star, clearly. Though, I think that matchup would be a lot closer than you are willing to admit.

The theme is that GA has grown the sport leaps and bounds over the last decade. Surely, the population in the metro area has contributed to that but the best team in GA is 3 plus hours from Atlanta. Georgia has improved more over that time period than any country in the nation, save Arkansas since, ya know, they didn't have wrestling 10 years ago and now place kids in Fargo (Thank you Williams Baptist and Kerry Regner)

There has been a cultural commitment in GA to year round wrestling. That, along with large clubs that offer the opportunity for studs to bang heads in the off-season (and psttt probably in-season too) has elevated the level in a very short amount of time.

Yes, my statement was more for point without actually going down a weight for weight dual match up. Although I believe it would be close only because once you get to 145 etc and upper weights, tougher for freshman to compete.

But if it makes it easier, if you just put the best GA team out there against the best SC team, SC might only win 2 matches, with 138 being the only clear favorite. And ParTerre I think covers the point I was trying to make well.

And yes Atlanta/... GA has a bigger population and allot of people here seem to use that to rationalize the disparity between the two states. But having spent 6 years living there and in that wrestling environment, I can tell you that population probably is the least of reasons for the disparity.

Last edited:
To be honest, only two of this years transfers make a difference and one is hurt. The rest jumped on the Eastside bandwagon to get a team ring.

slamming? I only said two of them would/will make a difference this year and one is hurt. Actually saying the recruits this year are not helping them kick ass. Not sure about recruits from previous years. If you call it slamming, so be it.

I don't think slamming is the appropriate word. I think it's more of an observation of the direction of our state compared to those around us. Allot of energy in discussing one county/area of the state, yet as a state we continue to fall further behind.

I for one certainly wish that Wasn't the case and would love to see the effort and culture evolve to reverse that trend. Right now though, my original post is pretty accurate.

Last edited:
You are an interesting chap Mr Butler. Saying that your beloved GA's freshman could beat an all star SC team, but you were only stating to show how far SC is behind and continues to slip? And that the size of Atlanta has not much or little to do with the success of GA.

And I'm sure you're diligently working on the solution. Which is? Everyone has their opinion on this one..

1. more opportunities for wrestling after HS
2. more national exposure
3. more kids involved in our youth organization
4. revised uniforms
5. buy in from football coaches

all of the above? a combination of 2-3 or just give up an concede the being the biggest losers around the country..

Fact is Delgado, The Hard Rock crew, Goodale and a few others ARE making HUGE contributions and the FS /GR teams the last few years have made progress in the competition column. Getting SC noticed in a positive. NO where near where we want to be, but headed there.

My opinion?
It's above the front door as you enter Izzy Style training facility "leave your ego at the door"
not that you car about my opinion

It seems to me you are more focused on the messenger and not the message. You end your post about ego's... couldn't agree more, as that is a big reason our culture is so much different/behind other states.

I'm from SC, competed in HS wrestling in SC. I also lived in GA for a handful of years, my son started wrestling as a youth in GA, work then brought us back to SC. So I feel I can speak on the subject with a little bit of insight.

I never said there were NO individuals/organizations in this state trying to better the sport, as I'm sure there are. The unfortunate part is they are isolated and as I said originally, the overall culture/dynamic in the state is holding our kids back. I'd love to see the sport evolve in the state as much as anyone. I'd love it selfishly for my own children, but also for the state.

Anyone with a set of eyes sees the gap when our kids have to compete with their teams. They have training opportunities available to develop every bit of potential out of a kid. HS coaches support the system for the most part( Why wouldn't you want Freshman contenders stepping into your program) and as a result you are seeing more kids successful at the next level. Those dedicated training centers are valued and welcomed, not discouraged or seen as destroying school clubs. Jeff Ragan spent a great many years helping SC youth wrestling, he is now in GA Coaching and without even speaking to him, I'm confident he would draw the same conclusions as one who has been on both sides.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT