ADVERTISEMENT

Whats going on....

Dec 17, 2012
As of late there has literally been nothing posted on these message boards. It's the time in the season where people should be asking questions... Like who's going to win 4A upper state... Fort mill beats both dorman and boiling springs(both pre january), but can't beat rock hill. Rock Hill seems to be cruising until last weekend where they lose a significant point scorer and lose by a significant amount to Boiling Springs. Dorman has lost to FM, BS, and if scmat is correct they may have RH in quarters in the playoffs... Or pound for pounds... Who's #1? Clary adding to his game, pinning machine Talon Seitz, or one of the AJs (Leitten or Alford)... What's up man, post some stuff

Ok, here is one...why is West Oak ranked #1 by SCMAT 3A but has no scores posted from tournaments or duals....how does SCMAT know? Not bashing, just curious as to how they come up with that?

Pound for Pound... Clary is a HAMMER, I think 1 loss early in the year to an Archer stud. Aj Alford is a HAMMER, 1 loss on the year to Seitz at the Coastal Clash. Seitz is a HAMMER and is undefeated on the year with a stupid number of pins. Going into this weekend he has tied the career record for pins at 159. Aj Leiten is a HAMMER, I think he is still undefeated as well. Who are some of the other HAMMERS out there??? The 2 Berea boys, Crowder, Byerley, Carrigan, Burris, Duane, Newton, some tough kids out there scrapping!!!!

I can tell you that in 3a the road to the state championship runs through Beaufort. HHI has a few things to adjust, but Beaufort has beat them twice so they as of now have the advantage in match ups. 4a, gotta be thinking about Lexington, Ashley Ridge and Fort D. Battery Creek is tough in 2a1a.

BC beat AR in a duals tournament... Same duals tournament that West-Oak placed 3rd in I believe. Fort D from 152 -- 170 have to be looking at getting 18 points... if they don't get 18 points Lexington or Lugoff may take the Lower State this year

Didn't Ashley Ridge already beat Fort D? Also, Lugoff-Elgin is upper state for duals and lower state for individuals.

Ok, here is one...why is West Oak ranked #1 by SCMAT 3A but has no scores posted from tournaments or duals....how does SCMAT know? Not bashing, just curious as to how they come up with that?

The coaches all receive an e-mail from Mark asking them their input on who should be ranked, where they should be ranked, etc.... not just team but coaches are also asked to reco kids for the individual rankings as well submit current or past credentials to help in the ranking process.

to put it simply, the rankings are not based on what is posted on the results page for scmat. a lot of it comes from coaches around the state and really it only changes if and when teams or kids beat each other.

Reactions: Lower Deck Tiger
Yeah its all just opinion. Some of these kids wont even wrestle until February or March so there is nothing to base off rankings but opinions. This kid beat that kid, who could beat kid #1 because of their styles but they may only see each other once and that's in the finals. That's why they are never set in stone. But credit SCmat with how much is getting done recently in such a short amount of time.

There in lies the rub for all ranking makers in all sports.

Is it time for Mr. Buford to get some sort of Lifetime Achievement award yet? He's probably been as important in SC Wrestling over the last 15 years as just about anyone. In a state where news coverage is limited at best (no article on GoUpstate about Boiling Spring/Dorman the other night... joke.) he's been able to centralize all reporting, rankings, special interest, and historical perspective in a website that is updated on a nearly daily basis.

I can personally assure you that the Herald Journal was made aware of the match, as well as, of the results of the BS and Dorman match.

I can personally assure you that the Herald Journal was made aware of the match, as well as, of the results of the BS and Dorman match.

I'm sure both sides did their due diligence, no question about that.

100% an indictment on the reporting institution and the overall media coverage, or lack thereof, by the majority of outlets statewide.

The Island Packet/Beaufort Gazette used to do an incredible job covering wrestling in the area......now, not so much. Shame.

I can remember a couple of years ago the Herald journal in spartanburg would have pictures and coverages from all matches, even little ones like Landrum vs Woodruff. No disrespect to those schools at all, but those were matches have no post season implications. But this season not one match has been posted yet.

Not sure about the lower state but a few thoughts on the Lowcountry: 4a Fort D has to limit the pins in the lower weights they are giving up too many bonus points for their hammers to make up but can hang with any team on a given night. Ashley Ridge is solid up and down the line up and yes beat Fort a few weeks ago but same thing happened last year and Fort beat them in the playoffs. Goose Creek and Stratford aren't strong enough for a long run in the playoffs but might win a match or two. Beaufort is the real deal in 3A very tough in the lower weights but can hold their own up and down the lineup. Hilton Head and Beaufort had a really tight match early in the season that Beaufort won but I wouldn't count out HH yet Sietz and Duane are worth the price of admission by themselves. Bamberg has a tough line up and will make a run. I think I have seen two different Battery Creek teams at first I thought they were imploding and couldn't beat average Lowcountry 4A teams then demolished Ashley Ridge in their tournament. Maybe they are figuring out their lineup at the right time. Pound for pound Seitz are monsters for HH. Alford and the Parker boys are tough to beat. It seems Leitten is unstoppable. Clary is on another run. Zane Mitchell has been close to unbeatable this year. And overlook Evan Carrigan at your own peril.

I have seen West Oak they seem rock solid. They have the two brothers down low plus they added the transfer 106 from Seneca. They beat #3 BHP 36-28. That's all i can find just briefly looking online. 2A Upperstate is a toss up between Liberty, Crescent and Chesnee with all three matches coming down the last match. North Central might be in the mix also. Lowerstate Battery Creek and Marion look like the toughest teams. 4A seems like whoever has all their wrestlers in the right spot will take it between those 4 teams. Moving around and looking for the right matchups will come into play come dual playoffs. Also

Is Simpson coming back? Heard he was not wrestling this year to stay healthy for football. Team wise A-AA I see BC winning 3 in a row, AAA is going to possibly go to West Oak... and HH may be the dark horse there. AAAA is going to the winner of the upper state, between those 4 teams everyone has lost to a team that loses to a team that the first team beats RH/FM, FM/BS, BS/Dor, BS/RH... Upper State is looking like one of these 4 possibilities baring something crazy happening.... RH vs BS, Dor vs BS, RH vs FM, or Dor vs FM.... February is going to be wild!!!

Is Simpson coming back? Heard he was not wrestling this year to stay healthy for football. Team wise A-AA I see BC winning 3 in a row, AAA is going to possibly go to West Oak... and HH may be the dark horse there. AAAA is going to the winner of the upper state, between those 4 teams everyone has lost to a team that loses to a team that the first team beats RH/FM, FM/BS, BS/Dor, BS/RH... Upper State is looking like one of these 4 possibilities baring something crazy happening.... RH vs BS, Dor vs BS, RH vs FM, or Dor vs FM.... February is going to be wild!!!
I was under the impression he is wrestling, I was talking to Young when he came to watch or match at Stratford last week.

Is westwood not in the conversation at all? They beat logoff tonight and some other tough teams. Won region IV. Had a good run last year. Cam Powell make it a deep run again?

Is westwood not in the conversation at all? They beat logoff tonight and some other tough teams. Won region IV. Had a good run last year. Cam Powell make it a deep run again?
They need to get Bonneville back in the mix for a good postseason run!

They need to get Bonneville back in the mix for a good postseason run!

Good call Thundercat! Even if they don't perform well, Bonneville will make it entertaining. Westwood is solid from top to bottom. Having stars makes your team look tough on paper, but eliminating weak spots is what wins matches, and Westwood has done a good job of doing that. I don't know how deep they'll go, but they won't make it easy for anyone. If they can keep from giving up any bonus points they can be in every single match.

what they've done is pretty impressive. Only 4 years as a team and no feeder program. Powell definatley has put his touch on this. Bonneville is an All star coach...but also a wild card.
#Flo #CODBO3 #KDR1.97

what they've done is pretty impressive. Only 4 years as a team and no feeder program. Powell definatley has put his touch on this. Bonneville is an All star coach...but also a wild card.
#Flo #CODBO3 #KDR1.97
That's what makes it entertaining!

Since it's about playoff time, let me try to get the smack talk really brewing ...

I'm predicting that both L-E and Westwood make it to the 3rd round of the playoffs, and only the third round. I'm not quite sure how the other regions are shaping up (as far as who's #1, 2, and etc.), so I'm not going to go farther out on a limb yet. I haven't been paying enough attention to results around the state this year (and yes, it seems as though that's harder to do these days than it was just 5 years ago), but I think that they both go down in the third round. I'll probably change my opinion within a week, but that's what I'm saying right now.

Ok.. Since most of the region tournaments have happened.... who's at a weight you didn't expect... who cut the weight to have a better shot at a title... whos winning this year that you wouldn't have thought at the beginning of the year????

Any upsets so far in dual playoffs? Only one so far I can think of is Dorman beating rh... Did they forfeit any weights at the end? Any news on AAA OR A-AA?

Airport and Swansea won there two rounds. Airport beats nmb and Swansea bears Hartsville. Hilton head beats St James

In AA-A Liberty and Crescent smoked the #1 and #2 seeds Cheraw and North Central. I know it can't happen but strength of schedule would be nice when it comes to these seedings. lol Anyways Liberty beat Crescent as it came down to the last match. A lot of good matches but no surprises.

Dutch Fork #4 seed won the Carolina Forest bracket Lexington had no trouble with Fort D Stratford won and moves on Goose Creek lost the second round by one point to the Dutch Fork team. Ashley Ridge rolled thru faces DF next

I am going out on a limb because teams have been Like Jekyll and Hyde. Losing to teams that aren't that good then a few weeks later dominating good teams but AAAA Lowerstate I say Lexington beats Stratford and Ashley Ridge beats Dutch Fork then Ashley Ridge beats Lexington taking the lowerstate. They are strong top to bottom and wrestle smart. Not sure on upperstate In the lower divisions Battery Creek is one of this up and down teams and Beaufort is solid especially thru the lower weights.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT